Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 7, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #49,667 of 64,005
I hope there are no electrical shorts in them. My s1 dual driver had a short in the left ear piece.

Do they have large tips? Or only small and medium? My s1 only came with small and medium and its a bugger to get large tips to fit in tws cases. It's a bugbear of mine.

actually the one i got only came with a single size, and it's just a pair of spares in the box. :/

PXbHHiL.jpg

Apr 7, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #49,668 of 64,005
actually the one i got only came with a single size, and it's just a pair of spares in the box. :/

PXbHHiL.jpg
Hmmm same as the s1 then. It actually said in the manual small and medium tips. Thanks. I'm OUT then

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #49,672 of 64,005
Alright, I have the KZ S2 in hand.

15 mins impressions so far:
Sound is acceptable for $30. Sound quality doesn't live up to the bar set by IEMs like the Tin Audio T2 or the BLON BL-03 but is definitely a step up from the KZ days of old. Note that the not stellar sound quality could be due to the TWS module as I'm connected via SBC.
Connection wise, if I'm close to my phone and not moving around much, it's quite stable without dropping much.
But if I'm moving it can start getting a bit dodgy. Max range I've tried was 2 floors but that's the absolute limit before completely cutting out. Realistically, it's more like one to two rooms away. Funnily enough, the way it seems to compensate for dodgy connection is to pitch bend the instruments in the track. Vocals don't seem to be touched but if you've ever played with a digital keyboard's pitch knob, it sounds exactly like when you pitch bend before returning to normal.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #49,673 of 64,005
Alright, I have the KZ S2 in hand.

15 mins impressions so far:
Sound is acceptable for $30. Sound quality doesn't live up to the bar set by IEMs like the Tin Audio T2 or the BLON BL-03 but is definitely a step up from the KZ days of old. Note that the not stellar sound quality could be due to the TWS module as I'm connected via SBC.
Connection wise, if I'm close to my phone and not moving around much, it's quite stable without dropping much.
But if I'm moving it can start getting a bit dodgy. Max range I've tried was 2 floors but that's the absolute limit before completely cutting out. Realistically, it's more like one to two rooms away. Funnily enough, the way it seems to compensate for dodge connection is to pitch bend the instruments in the track. Vocals don't seem to be touched but if you've ever played with a digital keyboard's pitch knob, it sounds exactly like when you pitch bend before returning to normal.

Thanks for your impressions.

How's the battery life ->> maybe u can advise this after a few days of use?
And if u can compare it to some KZs, what is the closest comparison? Thanks in advance!

Apr 8, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #49,674 of 64,005
ioqKSkT.png

I'm almost done with my own review too, just waiting for some confirmation from Linsoul before I post the video. They added IPX5 to the specs last minute, and just wanted to be sure. Because the vent at the top is pretty big. like "you can see the LED light on the bottom portion of the earbuds through that vent" big. IPX5 should be splash resistant, and it's kinda hard to imagine it being able to keep liquid out with that vent. Probably water repelling coating on the inside.

Anyway to chip in a little, battery life for me is around 3.5hrs of use per charge at around 65-75% volume (it seems louder than previous KZ TWS I've tried like the S1 and T1). Case gives about 3-4 charges. By the way, the case design is a HUGE upgrade over the plasticky S1. Matte finish feels nice, and lid has a spring loaded mechanism which just pop open completely once you give it a push. For 29USD, I wasn't expecting that kind of touch.

Sound wise, to me it feels like a mild U shaped, leaning towards the brighter side. Bass is punchy but not too overwhelming, but sub-bass loses out to something like the GT1 Plus or TrueDot. Mids doesn't sound too recessed I think (for my personal taste it is a tiny bit though), but it does sound a little thin to me. Treble is well extended, and doesn't sound like it has that usual 8-9KHz peak that I've kinda expected from KZ, so it's not fatiguing to me at all. I can listen to it for hours at normal volume. But at higher volume (like while I'm jogging), the treble can get a bit too intense for my taste sometimes.

It has an airy sounding treble as well, which sounds pretty nice for some tracks with prominent vocals to me, but it's probably a bit much over all. To me it has the tendency to be slightly sibilant, which feels like it's exacerbated by that upper treble. I don't have the S1 with me anymore, but if my memory serves me right the treble doesn't sound as steely too on the S2.

Detail retrieval is not bad for TWS, imaging is fairly average with nothing of note. Overall still feels like a slight improvement over the S1 to me. It still feels like good value to me with the overall package (usb-c, nicer case, decently good sound), and it seems to EQ well enough. Still tinkering around with it, but I'm running something like this (which is the opposite of the DEEP V EQ that Chris from techtablets used in his review :joy:), and it's pretty enjoyable to me overall.

bhYkRTq.jpg

Apr 9, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #49,675 of 64,005
Thanks for your impressions.

How's the battery life ->> maybe u can advise this after a few days of use?
And if u can compare it to some KZs, what is the closest comparison? Thanks in advance!

Heh I just got it in so I can't say much about battery life. I'm guessing about 4-5 hours (?) based on how the battery drained. To be honest, right now my stance on BT IEMs is to buy something reliable even if it costs more (e.g. GBuds). The problem with BT stuff is that the BT module or electronics needs to be rock solid to be worth it. On top of that then it has to sound good.

Sound wise, it doesn't compare well to the other KZ's I've tried. It feels kinda thin, with a recession in the mids that holds back the body of vocal and tonality isn't as organic as it could be. Treble is tizzy, occasionally splashy and can be bright. Bass is alright, adequate quantity, a bit punchy, and midbass leaning.

I think I've been spoiled having reviewed a number of quite good gear lately (that and I've been using the HD600 for 8 hours a day the past 3 weeks due to isolation) that I've forgotten what it's like to step down. For $30, don't expect the world but I'm warming up to it.

Apr 9, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #49,676 of 64,005
I just got shocked from my AS10 with silver cable. I was using my iDSD Nano. It happened once on my Zishan too, but i thought it was the Zishan's fault. I guess it wasn't

This is awful because it seemed like these were too good to be true ..... until now .....

I searched it and found other posts mentioning the silver cable specifically.

Well dang... I gave away my stock cable. Lol

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #49,677 of 64,005
As you will have gathered, I am very impressed with the BA10. Here's another piece which demonstrates its finesse:

Apr 9, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #49,679 of 64,005
BA10 vs. TRN BA5?
BA10. Superior in all respects, (unless you have fit problems). BA5 is still a very good IEM, though and one of the best balanced models out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back