Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 7, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #48,736 of 63,917
Ey, hello people. After using the ED16 for almost a year by now, I must say that they are quite nice, specially after comparing them to other things at the same price range. But after all this time, I kinda want something better. Something well, more exciting? These aren't bad...but they definitely don't make me feel like I wanna try them with every song I have.

Any recommendations? I've been looking around and have seen the ZSX, the TRN V90, BLON BL-3...but there is so much to choose from nowadays that, it's a bit overwhelming.

I'm mostly looking for something with better bass (I feel like it doesn't have enough most of the time), better isolation if possible, a tad more comfortable (I'm usually constantly re-adjusting them on my ears) and well, maybe with more "sparkling" highs, and soundstage. I feel like they sound too inoffensive, in a way.

Thanks in advance!
V90 fits the description.

Nov 7, 2019 at 12:09 PM Post #48,739 of 63,917
If you had asked me a year ago, I would've recd the Fiio Q1MK2. But now, I see that it's using an AK4452-3 dac, which imho, is a downgrade to the 4490 that they were previously using. They aren't even using 2 per channel, in a true balanced fashion. Best bet right now, is the Radstone Earsonics ES100, or the new E1DA dac/amp dongle. The E1DA is possibly the best sounding dac/amp dongle on the market right now, but it's power hungry and needs a USB splitter cable (which is currently shipping with it) and also a USB power bank to power it and your smartphone. It will make for a bigger stack, and you will have to take into consideration that the power bank you choose will need alot more time to recharge...even if it has a fast Quick Charge feature. Usually around 7-10 hours. E1DA is probably the best sounding choice, but it will require a big battery/power source to make it work. Other than that, I'd say maybe a Fiio Q5 or Q5S dac/amp. Around $350 US, so still not inexpensive.

To get better clarity with my KZs, and also power the hungrier IEMs (like BL-03, MH755, CNT-1), I'm seriously thinking of picking up what you suggested. Not for mobile use, but for my PC.

I could just plug in an E1DA and get enough juice for any IEM, surely even the T800. Maybe even pick it up on 11.11.

Or the ES100 is a real possibility. That opens up 2.5 balanced, which is crucial for some IEMs. (Does any KZ benefit from this, like the KZ7?)

Just for fun, I could add in a tube like the Sabaj PHA3, if that combination even works.

[Or just skip all this and get an Shanling M6, serving as a home DAC and mobile DAP].

I guess ES100 + nothing is the most sane purchase to enhance Chi-Fi IEMs?

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #48,741 of 63,917
I guess ES100 + nothing is the most sane purchase to enhance Chi-Fi IEMs?

This is what I'm thinking for last 45 days and yet, in the meanwhile I've ordered two IEMs and have two more in my cart! Lol!

Nov 7, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #48,743 of 63,917
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #48,744 of 63,917
V90 fits the description.

Same here. The V90 is my rec as well.

Yep I'll add a V90 rec as well

That's three votes for the V90s huh? What does it do better than the ZSX, for example? A friend that has both recommended me the ZSX because he thought that the V90 had piercing treble and a terrible cable (That can be fixed, evidently). Mind you, I plan to use this with my very regular phone. I'm still reading opinions anyway, no hurry to make this decision.

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #48,745 of 63,917
That's three votes for the V90s huh? What does it do better than the ZSX, for example? A friend that has both recommended me the ZSX because he thought that the V90 had piercing treble and a terrible cable (That can be fixed, evidently). Mind you, I plan to use this with my very regular phone. I'm still reading opinions anyway, no hurry to make this decision.
I went with the V90 because I thought it would stay in my ears better when walking. I had the ZS10 Pro which I liked but it would inch out of my right ear just slightly when walking.
The V90 cable seems fine to me. LuckLZ sends a 2nd cable if you buy from them. It's softer, but I don't know if there's any difference.
Don't ask me about the sound..........just about every earphone I tried sounds fine to me. I think the ZS10 Pro was a little brighter/more metallic sounding, but I liked it. I guess I'm far from being an audiophile.
I like the V90 enough that I'm buying a 2nd pair.
I'd like to try the ZSX, but I'm pretty sure I'll have fit issues with my right ear.........left ear gives me no trouble.......right ear must be crooked or something.

Nov 7, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #48,746 of 63,917
I find the reverse to be true. The V90 cable is preferable to the usual tangly KZ one and the 30019 BAs in the V90 do a better job than the 30095 in the ZSX, being smoother and more extended. IMO, of course!

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #48,747 of 63,917

Now see from all the reviews and stuff I've been reading the ZSX is brighter and more active/lively as opposed to the V90 being more laid back and easy on the ears for long periods of time like a Mee P1 but then again how can you trust what anyone in this place says anyway:astonished: For those that know Pod they know I'm pullin' some leg there:smirk:

Nov 7, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #48,748 of 63,917
Indeed it is:beerchug:

@Dani157 , this is how it starts Dani:rolling_eyes: Get out while you can:open_mouth:

I'm trying but new hype trains and sales just don't allow me! Hope this is where I will pause.

Nov 7, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #48,749 of 63,917
Now see from all the reviews and stuff I've been reading the ZSX is brighter and more active/lively as opposed to the V90 being more laid back and easy on the ears for long periods of time like a Mee P1 but then again how can you trust what anyone in this place says anyway:astonished: For those that know Pod they know I'm pullin' some leg there:smirk:

not sure how the V90 could *not* be described as "lively" or "active", according to that the ZSX might probably be even too bright or piercing (I only have the V90) if you're sensitive towards treble

the ZSX got improved BA drivers as well (vs. previous models) and improved tuning so it's probably not as excessively piercing or treble-heavy as in the past ...

Nov 7, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #48,750 of 63,917
not sure how the V90 could *not* be described as "lively" or "active", according to that the ZSX might probably be even too bright or piercing (I only have the V90) if you're sensitive towards treble

the ZSX got improved BA drivers as well (vs. previous models) and improved tuning so it's probably not as excessively piercing or treble-heavy as in the past ...

Well as most around here know I'm not treble sensitive in the least, back in the day when KZ's were frying everyone's drums I was like what's the issue maing:grin: For me the music lies/lives in the Mids and higher regions, of course I know so many must have that big old bass and let the rest follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back