Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 7, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #48,751 of 63,788
I respect every point of view but I do not like when someone points out objective (and obvious) stuff based on personal opinions.

Yea, that's sure. Gonna try switching many tips on the ZSX as well. Cable is not gonna change the things I think.. I have tried with 3 cables until now and still didn't notice any difference.

Don't buy a JCALLY copper cable to the ZSX. They simply don't match each other.
My best choice so far is a **** 16 core silver plated cable. Both the balanced version (with 2,5 mm jack) and the unbalanced version (with 3,5 mm jack) are excellent for the ZSX.

Nov 7, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #48,752 of 63,788
I went with the V90 because I thought it would stay in my ears better when walking. I had the ZS10 Pro which I liked but it would inch out of my right ear just slightly when walking.
The V90 cable seems fine to me. LuckLZ sends a 2nd cable if you buy from them. It's softer, but I don't know if there's any difference.
Don't ask me about the sound..........just about every earphone I tried sounds fine to me. I think the ZS10 Pro was a little brighter/more metallic sounding, but I liked it. I guess I'm far from being an audiophile.
I like the V90 enough that I'm buying a 2nd pair.
I'd like to try the ZSX, but I'm pretty sure I'll have fit issues with my right ear.........left ear gives me no trouble.......right ear must be crooked or something.

Well, that's still something. Thanks for the input!

I find the reverse to be true. The V90 cable is preferable to the usual tangly KZ one and the 30019 BAs in the V90 do a better job than the 30095 in the ZSX, being smoother and more extended. IMO, of course!

Ah look that, fair enough. As long as it's not absolute garbage I'm alright, worst case scenario, it can be changed anyway...right? But that sounds good to me then.

Now see from all the reviews and stuff I've been reading the ZSX is brighter and more active/lively as opposed to the V90 being more laid back and easy on the ears for long periods of time like a Mee P1 but then again how can you trust what anyone in this place says anyway:astonished: For those that know Pod they know I'm pullin' some leg there:smirk:

Well, KZ is kinda known for it's bright signature I guess... so yeah, fair, too. Alright, so far, V90s are strongly considered to be my next buy.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #48,753 of 63,788
To get better clarity with my KZs, and also power the hungrier IEMs (like BL-03, MH755, CNT-1), I'm seriously thinking of picking up what you suggested. Not for mobile use, but for my PC.

I could just plug in an E1DA and get enough juice for any IEM, surely even the T800. Maybe even pick it up on 11.11.

Or the ES100 is a real possibility. That opens up 2.5 balanced, which is crucial for some IEMs. (Does any KZ benefit from this, like the KZ7?)

Just for fun, I could add in a tube like the Sabaj PHA3, if that combination even works.

[Or just skip all this and get an Shanling M6, serving as a home DAC and mobile DAP].

I guess ES100 + nothing is the most sane purchase to enhance Chi-Fi IEMs?
The E1DA Powerdac V2 is, from what I have read here on the forums/threads, a killer device if you want to listen to your music at your desk with a desktop/laptop. If I listened to music more at a desk, the Powerdac V2 would be at the top of my list. From my understanding, it has ONLY a balanced 2.5mm output and has an amazing app that features both types of EQ (parametric and the other type...which name escapes me at the moment...lol!) It is said to be extremely powerful and can drive even high impedance headphones to very loud levels. The price is less than $100. The E1DA 9038S dongle dac is a bit more expensive and is said to sound even better with even more power, but there's no app for it and it is a more portable solution. The caveat with that device, is that it sucks HUGE amounts of battery power from your phone; so you need to buy a battery bank and a special splitter cable to connect it all to your phone...which becomes rather bulky and cumbersome. The ES100 is a more portable solution, which is why I consider it above the other two E1DA solutions, because that's what I'm trying to achieve. It all depends on what your situation is. If you think you would listen to music more seated at a desk, then I'd recommend that you consider the Powerdac V2, with its awesome power and the HPTOY app. If you wanna be a bit more mobile though (which appeals more to me) I'd rec going for the ES100. The thing I like best about both these devices is that they both give you the option of running your iems or headphones in balanced form. IMO and in my experience (and there will probably be others who will disagree with me), using a 2.5 or 4.4 balanced output often sounds better than a 3.5 unbalanced output. More power, better channel separation, wider soundstage, smoother detail...overall, just a more effortless sound presentation. It used to be that gear that offered a balanced output would cost significantly more than unbalanced/single-ended. Nowadays, is becoming more common in lower priced gear. It's a good time to be into audio!

Nov 8, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #48,754 of 63,788
Don't buy a JCALLY copper cable to the ZSX. They simply don't match each other.
My best choice so far is a **** 16 core silver plated cable. Both the balanced version (with 2,5 mm jack) and the unbalanced version (with 3,5 mm jack) are excellent for the ZSX.
I already have the **** 16-core cable and didn't change the sound.

Nov 8, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #48,755 of 63,788
Ey, hello people. After using the ED16 for almost a year by now, I must say that they are quite nice, specially after comparing them to other things at the same price range. But after all this time, I kinda want something better. Something well, more exciting? These aren't bad...but they definitely don't make me feel like I wanna try them with every song I have.

Any recommendations? I've been looking around and have seen the ZSX, the TRN V90, BLON BL-3...but there is so much to choose from nowadays that, it's a bit overwhelming.

I'm mostly looking for something with better bass (I feel like it doesn't have enough most of the time), better isolation if possible, a tad more comfortable (I'm usually constantly re-adjusting them on my ears) and well, maybe with more "sparkling" highs, and soundstage. I feel like they sound too inoffensive, in a way.

Thanks in advance!
Your anwser has come: CCA C12 :point_left::wink:

Though the internal DD and BA's are exactly the same as the ZSX, the housing and layout are different enough to give them a different effect and signature. One that you'll probably like, since I too own a pair of ED16. My take is; bass has a great sonic deep slam that's sure to please, much quicker than the ZSX. Vocals are more lively and clear, while treble is precise and detailed and never harsh or sibilant when compared to the ZSX. So, just slap-on the starline silicone ear tips of your size that comes in the package and enjoy the upgrade!
I proudly own both the C12 and ZSX and I can vouch that they do sound different. But, according to what you're looking for, C12 would be your better bet, IMHO. ...just my 2 cents. :spy:

-Clear

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 3:47 AM Post #48,756 of 63,788
Your anwser has come: CCA C12 :point_left::wink:

Though the internal DD and BA's are exactly the same as the ZSX, the housing and layout are different enough to give them a different effect and signature. One that you'll probably like, since I too own a pair of ED16. My take is; bass has a great sonic deep slam that's sure to please, much quicker than the ZSX. Vocals are more lively and clear, while treble is precise and detailed and never harsh or sibilant when compared to the ZSX. So, just slap-on the starline silicone ear tips of your size that comes in the package and enjoy the upgrade!
I proudly own both the C12 and ZSX and I can vouch that they do sound different. But, according to what you're looking for, C12 would be your better bet, IMHO. ...just my 2 cents. :spy:

-Clear
I agree, I do have the ED16 that is great (but more sub than bass, sounds a bit flat except with bright source)
C12: Out the box, I found the bass level low, but after some burnin and replacing startips with small triple flange, bass have an excellent level.

C12_01_s.JPG

Nov 8, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #48,757 of 63,788
Hi!
Im looking for relatively cheap IEMs that can handle metal/death metal/black metal, I guess I want tight, snappy clear bass, I hate boomy echoing bass. I currently own the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear Wireless and I like them a lot but the cheaper IEMs that has surfaced the last year looks interesting especially KZ/CCA. Do you have any recommendations? The Youtube reviews just make my head spin.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #48,758 of 63,788
When will the next KZ iems come? hasnt it been 3 months since ZSX came out? :grin:

Nov 8, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #48,759 of 63,788
Hi!
Im looking for relatively cheap IEMs that can handle metal/death metal/black metal, I guess I want tight, snappy clear bass, I hate boomy echoing bass. I currently own the Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear Wireless and I like them a lot but the cheaper IEMs that has surfaced the last year looks interesting especially KZ/CCA. Do you have any recommendations? The Youtube reviews just make my head spin.

If u like tight bass, it would be better to go for a BA bass IMHO. DDs generally have decay on the bass. What's your budget?

When will the next KZ iems come? hasnt it been 3 months since ZSX came out? :grin:

Well KZ released some TWS IEMs recently didn't they? But good point, the radio silence from KZ and CCA is quite strange, especially since 11/11 and Black friday/festive period is on hand. Or maybe KZ/CCA have reached audio nirvana with their KZ ZSX and CCA C12.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2019 at 5:24 AM Post #48,760 of 63,788
If u like tight bass, it would be better to go for a BA bass IMHO. DDs generally have decay on the bass. What's your budget?

Well KZ released some TWS IEMs recently didn't they? But good point, the radio silence from KZ and CCA is quite strange, especially since 11/11 and Black friday/festive period is on hand.
yeah, I skipped the ZSX/C12 since I have a lot of KZs already and better iems. But looking forward for the next one.

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #48,761 of 63,788
That's a long time in the KZ universe. Having called the ZSX the 'Terminator' perhaps KZ are re-thinking their product range and abandoning hybrids?

Nov 8, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #48,762 of 63,788
Hi!
A very good cheap IEM is the KBEAR KB06. It has the kind of profile which should suit your preferred genres.

Nov 8, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #48,764 of 63,788
The E1DA Powerdac V2 is, from what I have read here on the forums/threads, a killer device if you want to listen to your music at your desk with a desktop/laptop. If I listened to music more at a desk, the Powerdac V2 would be at the top of my list. From my understanding, it has ONLY a balanced 2.5mm output and has an amazing app that features both types of EQ (parametric and the other type...which name escapes me at the moment...lol!) It is said to be extremely powerful and can drive even high impedance headphones to very loud levels. The price is less than $100. The E1DA 9038S dongle dac is a bit more expensive and is said to sound even better with even more power, but there's no app for it and it is a more portable solution. The caveat with that device, is that it sucks HUGE amounts of battery power from your phone; so you need to buy a battery bank and a special splitter cable to connect it all to your phone...which becomes rather bulky and cumbersome.

Thanks for your incredibly-detailed response!

I am looking more at desk-bound solutions than mobile at the moment, so the E1DA 9038S appeals most to me.

Dongles are convenient for laptops and desktops, and I could use one for my desktop. My only caveat is that all my IEMs are on 3.5mm cables right now, and I like them the way they are.

But I could see myself switching to 2.5mm for my most deskbound ones. That would be the Tin Audio T2, TFZ King Pro, and maybe the CNT-1 and KZ-7, although I sometimes use those with mobile.

Some of them are 3.5mm only, though, like the VSonic ARES. So it's a hard call, switching some of those to 2.5mm, which means I can't easily interchange them with mobile devices.

That's why I keep looking at the ES100. I would only have to switch a few IEMs to 2.5mm, and use the rest as 3.5mm with that one. But are you thinking that the sound quailty is not as good as the E1DA models?

Nov 8, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #48,765 of 63,788
Thanks for your incredibly-detailed response!

I am looking more at desk-bound solutions than mobile at the moment, so the E1DA 9038S appeals most to me.

Dongles are convenient for laptops and desktops, and I could use one for my desktop. My only caveat is that all my IEMs are on 3.5mm cables right now, and I like them the way they are.

But I could see myself switching to 2.5mm for my most deskbound ones. That would be the Tin Audio T2, TFZ King Pro, and maybe the CNT-1 and KZ-7, although I sometimes use those with mobile.

Some of them are 3.5mm only, though, like the VSonic ARES. So it's a hard call, switching some of those to 2.5mm, which means I can't easily interchange them with mobile devices.

That's why I keep looking at the ES100. I would only have to switch a few IEMs to 2.5mm, and use the rest as 3.5mm with that one. But are you thinking that the sound quailty is not as good as the E1DA models?
I don't own any of these dac/amps, so I can't speak to whether the E1DA Powerdac V2 or 9038S is better sounding than the ES100. ES100 uses a different dac chip, but that doesn't mean that it will sound better or worse than E1DA because it really comes down to implementation and how good the output stage is. Like you, I am also seriously looking at the ES100, but my needs are to be a bit more portable and be able to use my phone's rear camera (which I can't do when I have my Fiio Q1MK2 dac/amp stacked onto the back of my phone). So that is something that is important to me. Also important is to be able to use all my iems in balanced mode, as I prefer using balanced 2.5 output. I like that the ES100 has both balanced and 3.5 unbalanced/single-ended to give me choices. Plus, it has that great app which allows you to control so many aspects of the sound that it should be fairly easy to dial in a signature to make all your iems sound great. I do think though if you plan to use the device in a more stationary setup (like with a laptop or desktop computer) the better solution would be the E1DA Powerdac v2 because it's more designed to be used with a computer at a desk. But that's just my opinion. If you want some better advice, I suggest you contact @HungryPanda here on headfi. I believe he has both the Radsone ES100 and the E1DA Powerdac v2 so he might be able to compare both units and give you his thoughts on any differences with the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back