Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 2, 2019 at 6:14 PM Post #44,881 of 63,868
One thing I really don't like about the aptX HD cable A LOT is it's length. Clearly no females were consulted in the physical design. On my Mee Audio cable, the battery & controller hang mid neck from my ears and don't sit on my shoulder in my hair, which also adds the benefit of a light weight holding down the cable around the ears and the wire close to your neck, and also adds the benefit of not having to reach into a nest of hair to change volume. The KZ cables are so frustrating for anyone with long hair. The wires are way too long.

btx1bk-2.jpg

With the BTX1, if you don't have it pulled back with the clip like that, they controls dangle comfortably. The top cable on KZ's needs to be much shorter.

Jun 2, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #44,882 of 63,868
I like long stems and nozzles because I have deep canals but small ears. That's why I really dig the ZS10 PRO. They fit me great. I've read that the ZS7 is a bigger housing and that worries me cause I don't think they will fit properly in my ears.
The ZS7 fits me better than ZS's... but that's just me. :wink:

Jun 2, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #44,884 of 63,868
IMG_20190531_163411.jpg So, I spent a few more hours comparing the ZS10 (not Pro) to my new C16's. The C16's are really starting to shine. I listened to some classical for the first time on them. Here is a guy I studied with a bit who is one of the worlds greatest orchestral trumpet players. This excerpt sounds quite a bit like how he sounds in person. The C16's really shined on this recording. On others, the ZS10 has a bit better low end, as the dynamic driver has a little more weight. The C16 low end is cleaner though. The C16 has a lot more high frequency energy. Not sibilant, but lost of energy. Oh, Auvio tips on both, and I made Neutralizer profiles for both. The C16 is actually easier to drive than the ZS10 is. I am getting really anxious to receive my ZS10 PRO.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #44,885 of 63,868
So, I spent a few more hours comparing the ZS10 (not Pro) to my new C16's. The C16's are really starting to shine. I listened to some classical for the first time on them. Here is a guy I studied with a bit who is one of the worlds greatest orchestral trumpet players. This excerpt sounds quite a bit like how he sounds in person. The C16's really shined on this recording. On others, the ZS10 has a bit better low end, as the dynamic driver has a little more weight. The C16 low end is cleaner though. The C16 has a lot more high frequency energy. Not sibilant, but lost of energy. Oh, Auvio tips on both, and I made Neutralizer profiles for both. The C16 is actually easier to drive than the ZS10 is. I am getting really anxious to receive my ZS10 PRO.

Please keep us posted! :nerd::thumbsup:

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #44,886 of 63,868
So, I spent a few more hours comparing the ZS10 (not Pro) to my new C16's. The C16's are really starting to shine. I listened to some classical for the first time on them. Here is a guy I studied with a bit who is one of the worlds greatest orchestral trumpet players. This excerpt sounds quite a bit like how he sounds in person. The C16's really shined on this recording. On others, the ZS10 has a bit better low end, as the dynamic driver has a little more weight. The C16 low end is cleaner though. The C16 has a lot more high frequency energy. Not sibilant, but lost of energy. Oh, Auvio tips on both, and I made Neutralizer profiles for both. The C16 is actually easier to drive than the ZS10 is. I am getting really anxious to receive my ZS10 PRO.

The ZS10 PRO is miles ahead of the ZS10. After a few days with the AS10 and the ZS10 I couldn't stand the ZS10. Now that I have the ZS10 PRO it's very clear that it wasn't tuned like the old model.

I just ordered the CCA A10 so I'm hoping that's an improvement of the AS10.

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #44,887 of 63,868
I got this wild theory about KZ - CCA actually and why they sounds different, and they're out with new models and PRO lines :

Imagine if KZ were built by like say 3 people founders.. along with time, 1 founder (call it Mr A) would make KZ sounds more balanced to target audiophile. But the other 2 didn't agree with the idea as their signature sounds worked quite well.
then, Mr. A sadly split with other 2 Mr. B and Mr. C and build up the CCA company to make more balance "KZ" product, but he couldn't use KZ name, so instead He went with CCA. Of course he know well all the supplier and every process things.

So Mr. A was quite successful with CCA brand, with his C04,C10 and C16

Looking at Mr.A's CCA success, Mr. B and Mr. C just realize that actually balance signature were well accepted too in the market, so Mr. B and C also want to make something balance now, KZ released the PRO lines, starting with ZSN Pro, then ZS10 pro and AS16 to go head to head with CCA C16.
Mr. A want to try something better, Trying to lead the innovation with A10.

All stories above are fiction, its not real news, just my stupid wild theory

Jun 3, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #44,888 of 63,868
I got this wild theory about KZ - CCA actually and why they sounds different, and they're out with new models and PRO lines :

Imagine if KZ were built by like say 3 people founders.. along with time, 1 founder (call it Mr A) would make KZ sounds more balanced to target audiophile. But the other 2 didn't agree with the idea as their signature sounds worked quite well.
then, Mr. A sadly split with other 2 Mr. B and Mr. C and build up the CCA company to make more balance "KZ" product, but he couldn't use KZ name, so instead He went with CCA. Of course he know well all the supplier and every process things.

Looking at Mr.A's CCA success, Mr. B and Mr. C just realize that actually balance signature were well accepted too in the market, so Mr. B and C also want to make something balance now, KZ released the PRO lines, starting with ZSN Pro, then ZS10 pro and AS16 to go head to head with CCA C16.

Add some beheadings, a sprinkle of incest, name it something like "Game of 'Phones" and call HBO! We gotta keep those spinoffs coming!

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #44,889 of 63,868
A long time ago you couldn’t get a 3 driver universal for under $400, ie Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 (which I had made into a custom), Westone W3, Shure 535, even double driver earphones were over $200. All the old TOTL universals like Ety ER4, and Audio Technica CK10 are history.

Chi-Fi has come a long way and you get incredible sound especially for the price. I found myself amazed listening to C16 and ZS7, that I am listening to an 8 and 5 driver earphone that sounds amazing out of a $20 Zishan Z1, total cost <$100...and I have some higher end gear and am picky as hell about audio stuff lol. I’ve found my end game as far as higher end portable audio goes, but I enjoy buying, selling, trying out all the new Chi-Fi offerings and it won’t break the bank. I am trying really hard to not own 10 of these earphones as my girl already thinks I’m crazy about this hobby...
Yeah, I'm looking now to upgrade my source to a good DAP. Think I have it narrowed down to an Xduoo X20 and a Fiio M11. I'm seriously looking at the X20 because it's $300 cheaper than the Fiio. The Fiio M11 has almost double the power of the X20 and 2 balanced outs. Fiio also has a better and faster UI...but geez, it's more than $600 CDN! As much as I enjoy my S8+-Q1Mk2(via OTG cable from the USB out from the phone), I'm looking for something with more high end mids and treble resolution, while retaining the bass of the Q1MK2. I need to free up my phone.

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #44,890 of 63,868

LOL!...sounds believable! :smile:

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #44,891 of 63,868
Wait till you discover the technical perfection that $100 headphone amps (JDS Atom) and $100 DAC's (Khadas Tone Board) have achieved over the past year. You basically get within a hair's breadth of state of the art (without all the bells and whistles nor bling) performance at those prices ! :grin::cold_sweat:
Or a Monoprice/Monolith Liquid Spark with a Topping d10. The quality and performance of lower priced stuff is really getting off the chain.

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #44,892 of 63,868
The ZS7 fits me better than ZS's... but that's just me. :wink:
I've got small ears though, and I'm not certain the ZS7's would work for me. The ZS10 PRO is a great fit for me.

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #44,893 of 63,868
Or a Monoprice/Monolith Liquid Spark with a Topping d10. The quality and performance of lower priced stuff is really getting off the chain.

Though the actual discernible levels might be too low for normal hearing, but in terms of measurable performance, the Atom and Liquide Spark are not even in the same ballpark.

Liquid Spark measurements:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-monoprice-liquid-spark-headphone-amp.5224/

JDS Atom measurements:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-new-jds-labs-atom-headphone-amp.5262/

Jun 3, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #44,894 of 63,868
Will do. ZS10 is clear for sure, but in terms of clarity, i'm afraid they still need more years to chase Kanas Pro, but they have something that can match Kanas Pro like separation (or maybe a little bit better than Kanas Pro), and not much behind on soundstage width, smooth treble, etc.
I need to compare them in more details after I burn in my ZS10 pro (believe or not, its free, nothing to lose but some iem got advantage over burn in), Maybe BA parts wont be much affected, but DD (bass in ZS10 pro) will be tighter usually after break in.

will do comparison with CCA C10, ****, BQEYZ KB100, AS10, ZSN pro as well. Those are big names on budget chifi, wont include Tinaudio T2 since they're completely different signature.
I've been listening to both ZS10 PRO and KanasPro tonight and can definitely tell a few differences. ZS10 PRO has got more midbass which helps with vocal tonality and warmth and it's a little looser than KanasPro. For bass, I'd give it slightly to the ZS10 PRO. But in almost all other areas, the KanasPro sounds more elevated to me. There's just so much more details overall. I can kind of get close using EQ on the ZS10 PRO, but even so, the KanasPro is still a lot more detailed to my ears. For me, the difference is warmth vs. resolution and mid/treble clarity. KanasPro also has a bigger soundstage. I like both sets very much, but they are both different and enjoyable in their own way. Based on what I have heard tonight, I don't think I will bother with the ZS7. Gonna enjoy the sets I have and focus on getting a better DAP in the $300-600 range.

Jun 3, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #44,895 of 63,868
Though the actual discernible levels might be too low for normal hearing, but in terms of measurable performance, the Atom and Liquide Spark are not even in the same ballpark.

Liquid Spark measurements:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...of-monoprice-liquid-spark-headphone-amp.5224/

JDS Atom measurements:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ents-of-new-jds-labs-atom-headphone-amp.5262/
I don't rely too much on measurements. I like what my ears tell me I like. I like a bit of warmth to my sound. JDS ATOM is a nice amp, but it's a bit flat and dry sounding to me. Then again, I also like a bit of tubeiness in my amps. The Liquid Spark uses Jfets (which help give a tube sound to the amp). I like that kind of sound more. That's just my personal preference. From what I read though, the Liquid Spark was recd. Again, I dont place too much credence in measurement numbers. I like what I like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back