Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 20, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #42,661 of 64,165
Unfortunately, I was hyping the ZSN a while ago and hope you didn't buy them because of me.

I don't think I like them anymore either. I'm really disappointed in KZ. It seems like they are shooting out IEM's from their butts without the quality of past models like the AS10, etc. I heard the AS06 is even better?

I read so many reviews I wouldn't remember anyone's id, not that I would blame anyone... I guess this is how they actually sound? I read some reviews again and some of these traits are pointed out, but what got me was the fact that they all conclude this is a great sounding chi-fi bang for buck deal... Oh how deceived I was :frowning2:

I hope Amazon takes it back...

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #42,662 of 64,165
Just got my ZSN (silver/cyan) couple days ago from Amazon Canada. I really want to like them but I am so disappointed... especially because I bought them after reading all the rave reviews.

I have UE TF10, Nu Force NE7M, and ATH M50x, for reference. I love my TF10 minus the cable which has a new cable on its way. NE7M has its cable sleeve deteriorating after 10 years of heavy usage which is why I bought the ZSN, as its replacement as a beater.

Tried comply foams and different size tips, burn in tracks, different genres, but I just can't stand them... way too much untamed bass on some tracks and the sound staging is letting me down.

Is this the limitation of low budget iem or perhaps I have a lemon?

I'm thinking of returning these tomorrow. Final Audio E1000/E2000/E3000 sounded like a good choice but I need isolation at work, so my search continues. Ordered a couple of Sony MDH-755's for fun from eBay, and other contenders for now are TinAudio T2/T2Pro/VSonic GR07. Any recommendations are welcome. Preferably under US$50, well balanced, somewhat neutral, slightly warm/bright, non-basshead, closed, no accessories needed, just sound quality and soft non-tangly cables.

Have you tried with another cable? I hated zst (cyan)
Until I changed the cable to the zst pro and the sound became more balanced and pleasant to my ears

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #42,663 of 64,165
Couldn't make it more then an hour with the JC ally 8 core cable. Had to switch back to the OEM LZ 2 core cable, and my word what a huge difference. Its not the sexiest looking cable, but its light and sounds great.

8 wire cable, or 4 wire cable?

Why didn’t you like it? Too thick and beefy? Or some other reason?

It is definitely a beast of a cable, that’s for sure! I was thinking of converting my JC Ally 4-wire cable to use as a headphone cable (instead of IEMs).

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #42,664 of 64,165
Unfortunately, I was hyping the ZSN a while ago and hope you didn't buy them because of me.

I don't think I like them anymore either. I'm really disappointed in KZ. It seems like they are shooting out IEM's from their butts without the quality of past models like the AS10, etc. I heard the AS06 is even better?

Which cable is on your ZSN? I seem to remember you have the silver plated cable, which I don’t have. I only have the stock bronze cable and the stock copper cable.

What made you change your mind? Did you change sources or genres? Because sometimes when I’ve been listening to a particular genre for a few days or a week, and then I totally switch genres while using this same IEM I’ll be like ewww.

It’s more of a laziness thing though; I have certain sonic tunings or particular IEMs that I use with certain genres. But if I already have something in my ears I may not want to go dig out the other earphones. So IEM x or y may not sound good, when in reality it’s not the IEM at all but rather just not a good match with what I’m listening to at the time.

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #42,665 of 64,165
Which cable is on your ZSN? I seem to remember you have the silver plated cable, which I don’t have. I only have the stock bronze cable and the stock copper cable.

What made you change your mind? Did you change sources or genres? Because sometimes when I’ve been listening to a particular genre for a few days or a week, and then I totally switch genres while using this same IEM I’ll be like ewww.

It’s more of a laziness thing though; I have certain sonic tunings or particular IEMs that I use with certain genres. But if I already have something in my ears I may not want to go dig out the other earphones. So IEM x or y may not sound good, when in reality it’s not the IEM at all but rather just not a good match with what I’m listening to at the time.
I mainly use the stock cable on my ZSN. I find I get listeners fatigue and quite quickly. I prefer an IEM that I can use for everything like my AS10. I really dont want different IEMs for different genres. That's such a hassle and I prefer easy listening. The ZSN is good but to me is not what it was hyped up to be. If the ZS7 has the same problem when it arrives I may start dabbling in CCA, TFZ, and BQEYZ IEMs. Then again I should anyway... 75% of my KZ IEM's I could do without.

PS: I wonder if I should change the tips from the stock ones? Good idea.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 1:14 AM Post #42,666 of 64,165
I mainly use the stock cable on my ZSN. I find I get listeners fatigue and quite quickly. I prefer an IEM that I can use for everything like my AS10. I really dont want different IEMs for different genres. That's such a hassle and I prefer easy listening. The ZSN is good but to me is not what it was hyped up to be. If the ZS7 has the same problem when it arrives I may start dabbling in CCA, TFZ, and BQEYZ IEMs. Then again I should anyway... 75% of my KZ IEM's I could do without.

PS: I wonder if I should change the tips from the stock ones? Good idea.

Sure, try different tips and see if you like it better.

Mar 21, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #42,667 of 64,165
AS10. Lol. I heard AS06 is even better. But no one's talking about it?
IMHO, Not better but just different enough from AS10 to cover the range of uses I have for them. With AS10 (on low-powered source, like AP80), it's my go to IEM when I bluetooth connect to my TV, as well as playing acoustic, pre-Y2K or lean-sounding music. With AS06 (on high-powered source), almost all modern electronic and pop mixes sound better to my ears than AS10. IMHO, the flaw with AS10 is reduced treble extension and, sometimes, overwhelming & slow bass, while AS06 has a big FR hole in the mids somewhere but impressively nimble mid/upper bass response. I use both of these more than anything else for past few weeks.

Side-note: Been mucking around with a Topping NX3s amp with AS06 & C16. This amp's definitely a keeper. Spatial sizing goes up a rung or 2. And adds some body to higher registers, which I thought was lacking in C16, while retaining the wonderful textures. Might get a few more NX3s as gifts as it's quite nicely packaged as well.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #42,669 of 64,165
What is the tip size of cca c10? Foam tips T400 will be ok?

Cca c10 nozzle diameter is 4.5mm so make sure you buy something with inner diameter that is around it.
The qkz t400 foam tips have 4.9mm inner diameter so it will fall off for example.

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:09 AM Post #42,670 of 64,165
8 wire cable, or 4 wire cable?

Why didn’t you like it? Too thick and beefy? Or some other reason?

It is definitely a beast of a cable, that’s for sure! I was thinking of converting my JC Ally 4-wire cable to use as a headphone cable (instead of IEMs).
Yea 8. Was to stiff and heavy. Hurt the top of my ears only after a few minutes. They just did not jive at all with the Semkarch at all. Put the other one on my C10, so will see how that one works out.

Mar 21, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #42,671 of 64,165
Yea 8. Was to stiff and heavy. Hurt the top of my ears only after a few minutes. They just did not jive at all with the Semkarch at all. Put the other one on my C10, so will see how that one works out.

I have the 4-wire cable, but I’ve been eyeing the 8-wire one. I guess I’ll forget about that one now.

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #42,672 of 64,165
20190305_180312~2.jpg

These NiceHCK 8-cores are really nice in my opinion though.
Probably not the best if you are walking about due to the bulk. But they are really very nice and measure very well.

Mar 21, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #42,673 of 64,165

These NiceHCK 8-cores are really nice in my opinion though.
Probably not the best if you are walking about due to the bulk. But they are really very nice and measure very well.

With that type of cable the bulk that bothers me is the part that goes over the top of my ear. My ears are very flat to my head and there is no room for a cable that thick ... it hurts.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #42,674 of 64,165
With that type of cable the bulk that bothers me is the part that goes over the top of my ear. My ears are very flat to my head and there is no room for a cable that thick ... it hurts.

That’s why I go ahead and remove that outer ear guide sheath when I get thicker cables now. It cuts the overall thickness of the cable by 30-40%. And the upgrade cables are still heavy enough that it stays in place around my ears without the need for ear guides at all. Removing the ear guide also makes the cable ‘softer’, because the wire insulation is softer and more flexible than the rubber used for the ear guide (which is a bit stiffer material so it can hold its shape).

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #42,675 of 64,165
Well, @Slater was right as usual. The Auvios were exactly what was needed to get the ZS7 singing again. No weird dips, highs aren't brassy, and I'm happy again.

One of my coworkers also just got his ZS7 in (same guy who'd bought the ES4 off me). His words, not mine: these are never coming out of my ears. I think he likes 'em.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back