Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 19, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #41,956 of 64,152
20190219_183605.jpg
This is the proof that zs7 black part is metal. I sanded down the edgy part that touches my ear.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #41,957 of 64,152
I'm getting that idea because if you look for copper wire, silver coated 2 pin cables... almost all results, from $6 to $200 show balanced cables

Look at the options in those listings....where it says Color... choose 3.5mm and whether you want 2pin or mmcx

But, why not just use the stock cable? I mostly use stock.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #41,958 of 64,152
Its not dangerous to use balaced cable through an adapter with the single ended output(TRRS -> TRS)
But using standard single ended cable through adapter with a balanced output is dangerous cause you are shorting it, balanced outputs(and cables) have separate ground for each channel.
For example - AK standard pinout is R- R+ L- L+ so I see no problem going to single ended L+ R+ LR- with a proper adapter.

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #41,959 of 64,152
I am using my ZS7 with TRN BT3 and TRN BT20. They works great imho. I prefer BT3 than BT20 because of the shape of ZS7 which is pretty edgy and with the locking mechanism of BT20, you can feel the edge part of ZS7 after using it for awhile.

I use the BT20 with the AS10 on commute.

Mainly because the AS10 has better isolation comparatively. Relative to ones ears, I find the comfort levels between the ZS7 and AS10 are not too different for me.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #41,961 of 64,152
My 1st attempt at a KZ SPC 8-wire braided cable, dyed a custom ‘copper’ color:

7FAFA2A3-C03E-4554-86DE-FBED1C7C6B0A.jpeg

Do you think it looks like a copper cable, or is the shade a little bit off?

I care about the shade of color, not the amount of opaqueness of the color. This particular cable was in the dye too long, so it’s more vibrant/opaque. I need to leave it in the dye for less time, which will make it more transparent (but still the same shade of color).

This color looks especially good when paired with any of the ZS6 colors, as well as the blue ZS7.

B0F44E27-27C0-46BB-8120-D009DA8C5065.jpeg 17A80D22-F6DA-4599-ABEE-1E15DDEAD121.jpeg E364F306-3CAD-41F8-9662-97CB90DF23E2.jpeg 90BFD338-E558-4E75-8CF8-5345EE3146FA.jpeg

However, if you folks don’t think it looks quite right, I have an idea for 1-2 more custom color combinations I can try to perhaps get the color even closer to true copper (for example it could use some pink in place of orange).

I’m also testing out my new light box for the 1st time. I can’t believe it took me this long to get one :)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #41,963 of 64,152
Feb 19, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #41,964 of 64,152
They probably come close enough to matching that person's particular tastes in sound signature. Campfire also invests a lot more in materials, labor, and quality control and, since they're a US-based company, probably have to pay their workers a little more than a dollar/day.

One of these days before I move out of the Pacific Northwest, I'm going to have to make a trip down to OR to see Campfire HQ. I'm sure it's an absolute feast for the eyes (and ears).
Another IEM that comes close to Andromeda's sound signature, in my opinion, are the Tanchjim Oxygen. :wink:
After a few hours comparing the Andromeda's at my friends headphone shop in Beijing, China, the only difference I hear is the Oxygen having a slightly smaller soundstage.:thumbsup:

Here are some PIC's on how they look like...
_-8.jpg_-7.jpg

-Clear

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #41,965 of 64,152
I've decided to no longer buy KZ iems before a mass amount of reviews have hit the forums or elsewhere. I'm currently reading a book on how Chinese companies do business and it's all about making money and not much else (hence the amount of various models shooting out of their design studios like rockets)...I'm really not interested in owning a hundred pairs of KZ's, just a few.

Of course, this financial plan is different for every company but it's made me realize I don't want to jump the gun on "bad" earphones anymore. I just want the best. I've spent $500+ on "bad" earphones and earbuds... it's time to take a step back and jump into quality.

With that being said, I'm not so sure I like my KZ ZSN earphones anymore... but I do now like my KZ ZS10's. They may have needed some serious burn in to sound good.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #41,967 of 64,152
I've decided to no longer buy KZ iems before a mass amount of reviews have hit the forums or elsewhere.

That’s good advice for anything you buy friend, not just KZ IEMs.

Otherwise, you’ll be what is known as an ‘early adopter’.

1. You assume the highest risk (of being unhappy with the purchase, having initial QC defects, getting half-baked products, etc).
2. You usually pay the highest price.

And that’s just basic Economics 101, not specific to Chinese products.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #41,969 of 64,152
I've decided to no longer buy KZ iems before a mass amount of reviews have hit the forums or elsewhere. I'm currently reading a book on how Chinese companies do business and it's all about making money and not much else (hence the amount of various models shooting out of their design studios like rockets)...I'm really not interested in owning a hundred pairs of KZ's, just a few.

Of course, this financial plan is different for every company but it's made me realize I don't want to jump the gun on "bad" earphones anymore. I just want the best. I've spent $500+ on "bad" earphones and earbuds... it's time to take a step back and jump into quality.

With that being said, I'm not so sure I like my KZ ZSN earphones anymore... but I do now like my KZ ZS10's. They may have needed some serious burn in to sound good.

Try ibasso or TFZ before giving up on chifi

He sanded it down because it was rubbing on his ear, causing a hot spot.

Here’s some other examples of ZS5 and ZS6 people have sanded down for more comfort:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-2705#post-14711000

I figured that much... I was kidding, Slater:imp:

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #41,970 of 64,152
That’s good advice for anything you buy friend, not just KZ IEMs.

Otherwise, you’ll be what is known as an ‘early adopter’.

1. You assume the highest risk (of being unhappy with the purchase, having initial QC defects, getting half-baked products, etc).
2. You usually pay the highest price.

And that’s just basic Economics 101, not specific to Chinese products.
True, but I'm not aware of any other companies that release as many products as KZ, which is why I mentioned them. Sure, there are more surely, but they aren't on my radar. KZ's are too good, and it's so easy to buy them all. But I'm not doing that any longer nor am I trusting any Headfi user that says they're buying every single color of a particular model. What's the point? There is none.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back