Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 19, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #41,926 of 64,378
I heard that the ZS7 is a presale product or something which I don't really understand. So it's like a limited edition or something? And will never be officially introduce on KZ official AliExpress page?

It is supposed to be a limited edition, I don't know why. I have no idea why the original store doesn't sell it, it is really odd.

ZS7 is 100% metal. No plastic at all.

That is strange, the black part doesn't look or feel like metal at all. I've never noticed it getting cold either.

BTW: I've been looking for an eight core silver plated 2.5mm balanced cable for my KZ's, but all I can find on AliExpress is ones with earphone connectors of the wrong gender. Are there any with the right earphone connectors? I don't want my earphones to fall off the connectors.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #41,927 of 64,378
It is supposed to be a limited edition, I don't know why. I have no idea why the original store doesn't sell it, it is really odd.

That is strange, the black part doesn't look or feel like metal at all. I've never noticed it getting cold either.

BTW: I've been looking for an eight core silver plated 2.5mm balanced cable for my KZ's, but all I can find on AliExpress is ones with earphone connectors of the wrong gender. Are there any with the right earphone connectors? I don't want my earphones to fall off the connectors.
This should do you just fine. Make sure you select the 2.5mm jack with 0.75mm connector option.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TRN...2Pin-0-75-0-78mm-Connector-3/32946020684.html

As far as KZ Official not selling the ZS7, that's happened on multiple occasions. My guess is these third-party vendors score exclusive selling rights with KZ in those cases. Both myself and my coworker now own ZS7s and I can confirm looking at both pairs that they're authentic.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #41,928 of 64,378
Feb 19, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #41,929 of 64,378
Thanks! Do these have the female plugs? It's a bit hard to see in the photos.
If you're looking for a KZ-compatible cable, you shouldn't be using female connectors to the earpieces anyway. Are you trying to adapt to a ZSN? If that's the case, a Type C connector would be what you're after, but it's not a requirement for fit. If that's the case, then I'm not sure if anybody's done that yet.

Fwiw, I can use my ZSNs with any Type A cable just fine and don't have ill effects with the connectors staying in place. The connector won't sleeve over the entire plug on each earpiece, but it takes a really close eye to see that.

Feb 19, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #41,930 of 64,378
Figured I'd share the Neutralizer curve I'm using on my ZSNs via a OnePlus 6. I never hear 16K come through when EQing any pair, so no adjustments are made there.

Screenshot_20190219-114459__01.jpg

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #41,931 of 64,378
Wow, a guy that already has the Campfire Audio Andromeda compares them to the KZ ZS7:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/afpm44/andromedas_vs_kz_zs7/

He doesn't seem to miss the $1000 Andromeda's, which I find weird and amazing at the same time...

How is it possible that a $50 IEM can compete with a $1000 IEM?
The guy's not biased because he spent his money to buy Andromeda's and then the ZS7. A comment says "this has to be a joke" and the poster says it's not.

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #41,932 of 64,378
Wow, a guy that already has the Campfire Audio Andromeda compares them to the KZ ZS7:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/afpm44/andromedas_vs_kz_zs7/

He doesn't seem to miss the $1000 Andromeda's, which I find weird and amazing at the same time...

The guy's not biased because he spent his money to buy Andromeda's and then the ZS7. A comment says "this has to be a joke" and the poster says it's not.
its a matter of taste, not necessary that it can compete with 1000$ IEM

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #41,933 of 64,378
They probably come close enough to matching that person's particular tastes in sound signature. Campfire also invests a lot more in materials, labor, and quality control and, since they're a US-based company, probably have to pay their workers a little more than a dollar/day.

One of these days before I move out of the Pacific Northwest, I'm going to have to make a trip down to OR to see Campfire HQ. I'm sure it's an absolute feast for the eyes (and ears).

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #41,934 of 64,378

Not strange at all friend. You just have to know what to look for.

The entire shell, including the black part, is anodized aluminum with a sand blasted finish.

You can tell the black part is aluminum by touching it up your lips (it will feel cool because it’s acting as a heat sink to your body).

If you examine the laser engraved model number with a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe, you will see where it is bare (silver) aluminum, because the engraving has gone through the black anodizing and into the bare metal.

You can also tell by gently rubbing it against your teeth. It will have an unmistakable metallic ‘grainy’ feel.

Also, if you gently tap it against your teeth, it will have an unmistakable metal tone and feel.

Plastic feels completely different.

Finally, you can put the whole IEM in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Pull it out and touch it to your lips. It will be ice cold. Plastic will not.

I don’t know what else to tell you.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #41,935 of 64,378

The entire shell, including the black part, is anodized aluminum with a sand blasted finish.

You can tell the black part is aluminum by touching it up your lips (it will feel cool because it’s acting as a heat sink to your body).

If you examine the laser engraved model number with a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe, you will see where it is bare (silver) aluminum, because the engraving has gone through the black anodizing and into the bare metal.

You can also tell by gently rubbing it against your teeth. It will have an unmistakable metallic ‘grainy’ feel.

Also, if you gently tap it against your teeth, it will have an unmistakable metal tone and feel.

Finally, you can put the whole IEM in the freezer for 5-10 minutes. Pull it out and touch it to your lips. It will be ice cold. Plastic will not.

Let it be known from hereon out that Slater has trademarked the "Lip Touch Metal Test" for authenticity...

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #41,936 of 64,378
Hahahaha, that was really funny actually, but yeah, it's a nice fast way to tell plastic from metal using organic 100% eco-friendly testing. Nice joke though.

If I was making a metal shell, I'd coat it with a material that doesn't get cold, may be a thin coat of resin or something, but then, the looks would worsen I guess. Also, this just came to my mind now:
If both the blue and black shells are treated/finished... will they easily get scratched and ugly?

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #41,938 of 64,378
If you're looking for a KZ-compatible cable, you shouldn't be using female connectors to the earpieces anyway. Are you trying to adapt to a ZSN? If that's the case, a Type C connector would be what you're after, but it's not a requirement for fit. If that's the case, then I'm not sure if anybody's done that yet.

Fwiw, I can use my ZSNs with any Type A cable just fine and don't have ill effects with the connectors staying in place. The connector won't sleeve over the entire plug on each earpiece, but it takes a really close eye to see that.

I guess these plugs are a weird combination of male-type metal and female-type plastic. The A (ZS7) and B (AS10 and C10) types look almost the same, with the A type just being slightly smaller.

From the tooth test it is clear that it is indeed metal. Thanks for the tips, I feel like I want to try them all now :^D

Feb 19, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #41,939 of 64,378
Regarding headphone audio cables...
I believe there are like 2 standards for IEM's: 2 pin connector and MMCX connector (besides jack plug).

The best thing you can do is buying a headphone that supports one of these 2 connections, so you can use "any" universal standard cable instead of having to find your manufacturer specific "weird" connector he invented.
Is this the problem you're having with those KZ IEM's? They use non standard KZ specific connectors?

By the way... the cable that comes with the KZ ZS7 is balanced or unbalanced?
Should I get both balanced and unbalanced cables to check which one works better with the KZ ZS7?
Are balanced and unbalanced cables compatible with any headphone or you need to have a headphone that can specifically support them?

The zs7 are specially made for a specific reseller by KZ. I think they are something really special as I cannot stop listening... This is a song that proofs how good they are:

Wow, that's one really sweet tune, thanks for sharing. I just didn't like the whistle... why?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #41,940 of 64,378
Hahahaha, that was really funny actually, but yeah, it's a nice fast way to tell plastic from metal using organic 100% eco-friendly testing. Nice joke though.

If I was making a metal shell, I'd coat it with a material that doesn't get cold, may be a thin coat of resin or something, but then, the looks would worsen I guess. Also, this just came to my mind now:
If both the blue and black shells are treated/finished... will they easily get scratched and ugly?

The resin would be prone to scratches.

The finish on aluminum housing is made by anodization that produces a film of aluminum oxide, which is much harder than aluminum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back