Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 17, 2019 at 5:57 AM Post #41,851 of 63,904
15504013750645095077951892972262.jpg
Really? I thought the cyan-shelled ZSN had a black back (same as the black-shelled ZSN)?

So you’re saying:

1. Black ZSN has black cover with brushed finish
2. Purple ZSN has silver cover with polished finish
3. Cyan ZSN has silver cover with sand blasted finish

I have only cyan and purple ZSNs.
The cyan plate is brushed and is rather grey to me than black (as in nice work of making it black by @mbwilson).

Here is a fast shot of purple (left), and cyan (middle) in comparison with CCA C10 (right) above.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:25 AM Post #41,852 of 63,904
Really? I thought the cyan-shelled ZSN had a black back (same as the black-shelled ZSN)?

I have only cyan and purple ZSNs.
The cyan plate is brushed and is rather grey to me than black (as in nice work of making it black by @mbwilson).

Here is a fast shot of purple (left), and cyan (middle) in comparison with CCA C10 (right) above.

I should have taken a photo of my husbands @HungryPanda black ZSN next to my cyan when they arrived. The plates were the exact same... what I would call a dark grey. I would not even call the body of the black ZSN a true black as it is translucent. To me the plate and the body of the black blend together nicely. The grey with the cyan doesn't work for me ... I think silver would have been great or black... just not that in-between grey. But then, I am happy with non metal face-plates in pretty jewel-like colors :) I like the shiny silver with the purple but would have preferred the entire iem to be the purple.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #41,853 of 63,904
Yeah, if you like the ZS3, you’ll like the ZS4 for sure. It improves the ZS3 in every way, and is like the ZS3 on steroids.

And don’t get me wrong, I personally like the ZS3 and own more than 1 pair. Heck, they were available as cheap as $4.99 at one point (which you can’t beat for that price).

I always felt that probably half of the complaints were really due to the source though.

With the foam mod, a better wired source, and amping, the ZS3 is actually a nice sounding IEM. When run from a low power source or with the Bluetooth cables, it sounds dull and lifeless.

The ZS3 came out around the same time as the original KZ Bluetooth cables, and a lot of people were running them on that crappy BT cable for working out and such. It was not a good matchup though, which I think contributed to the disappointment by many.

The tuning is dominated by bass, which is fine for some genres but not others.

Man, talk about late to the party, this thread moves faster than a California brush fire! You very well could be right on the ZS3 as I never gave them a fair chance before giving them away.
I use an amp with the 4’s most the time unless I’m running them balanced on my Opus #1 which I never did with my 3’s so I may have let that one get away. The ZSN Pro! I will say KZ themselves almost move as fast as this dang thread but I’ve just decided to back off and just stay here for fan support:thumbsup::v:

Feb 17, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #41,855 of 63,904
... and only one screw holding it.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the "4 screws holding" model myself.
I just have to figure it out once and for all how the number of screws and colour coordination make an IEM sound better.
LOL
:ksc75smile:

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #41,856 of 63,904
Does anyone know how the Penon impedance adapters work? Does it decrease hiss, or increase?

I can't tell if it's a cheaper version of the IEMatch or exactly the opposite.
IEMatch is some version of a voltage divider (several resistors).
Impedance adapters, such as sold by Penon, use a single resistor to increase impedance.

IEMatch does a great job in essentially eliminating hiss when low-impedance multi-BA IEMs (such KZ AS 10) are powered by high-impedance sources (such as smartphones).

I ordered few impedance adapters last month, but still have not recieved them - slow boats ...

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #41,857 of 63,904
IEMatch is some version of a voltage divider (several resistors).
Impedance adapters, such as sold by Penon, use a single resistor to increase impedance.

IEMatch does a great job in essentially eliminating hiss when low-impedance multi-BA IEMs (such KZ AS 10) are powered by high-impedance sources (such as smartphones).

I ordered few impedance adapters last month, but still have not recieved them - slow boats ...

Cool! Thanks.

I'm just worried the IEMatch may not be enough - the source I have is very hissy. Tube amp putting 2W per channel, even over-ears are crackling.

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #41,858 of 63,904
I don't know if what they're selling overseas are the same as the ZSN PRO's in China, but these are the ones I'm trying to grab!
The back plate is "green" and tuned differently from the other 3 ZSN's! ...Say what? :scream:

Screenshot_20190218-001654_1_1.jpg

Chinese statement
Screenshot_20190218-033157_1.jpg

English translation
Screenshot_20190218-033210_1.jpg

Green Edition ZSN PRO's (bottom right)...while the other 3 are just original ZSN.
Screenshot_20190218-033845_1.jpg

*Courtesy from taobao shopping website

-Clear

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #41,859 of 63,904
Cool! Thanks.

I'm just worried the IEMatch may not be enough - the source I have is very hissy. Tube amp putting 2W per channel, even over-ears are crackling.
IEMatch has two modes and should work in this case, I believe (I do not have any powerful amps though).
The only catch is dissipating (wasting) some portion of the power.

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #41,860 of 63,904
The back plate is "green" and tuned differently from the other 3 ZSN's! ...Say what? :scream:

So they saw my attempt a few weeks ago to color mine green? But that was for my cyan ZSN...this one appears t have a black body.

Feb 17, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #41,861 of 63,904
ZSN Pro Ultra Edition:

- Genuine Carbon Fiber Faceplates
- Tuned more neutral
- Limited Edition 1 of 1

DSCN0003.JPG

Not sure if I want to put the carbon backs on the purple or black ZSN.

I might engrave the backs too, as I have access to a CNC diamond engraving machine. I just need to figure out something cool to engrave on them (maybe the KZ logo, or simply L and R).

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #41,862 of 63,904
ZSN Pro Ultra Edition:

- Tuned more neutral
- Limited Edition 1 of 1

I might engrave the backs too, as I have access to a CNC diamond engraving machine. I just need to figure out something cool to engrave on them (maybe the KZ logo, or simply L and R).

That's sick! You should carve "Slater" in them :D Make them a proper custom.

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #41,863 of 63,904
That's sick! You should carve "Slater" in them :D Make them a proper custom.

You don't think either of these would look cool engraved on the face plates?

KZ Logo 1.png
KZ Logo 2.png

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #41,864 of 63,904
ZSN Pro Ultra Edition:

- Tuned more neutral
- Limited Edition 1 of 1

I would have them laser engrave “Mine, B**ch!” in Gothic Revival font.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back