Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 2, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #41,476 of 63,919
Thank you PhonoPhi :wink: Apparently this is another really good IEM, but given the high number of BAs in it, I have doubts about its reliability... That may still be an option given the price, though (just to buy another pair if it brakes, or just a second one as backup) :wink:

ZS7 is exact same tho. 4+1 per side.

Want some mad crazy thumping bass with rumbly sub bass with clean mids and a sparkly treble? NICE HCK EP10. Will set you back about $15. My mind is still blown at it. A single 11mm PET driver that can withstand +20db bass boost and 60% volume from my Cayin C5 in High Gain(800mw=800mw), before distortion. Sounds good at reg listening volumes too.

Feb 2, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #41,477 of 63,919
Thank you PhonoPhi :wink: Apparently this is another really good IEM, but given the high number of BAs in it, I have doubts about its reliability... That may still be an option given the price, though (just to buy another pair if it brakes, or just a second one as backup) :wink:
CCA 10 is a close relative of KZ ZS7 through CCA-KZ relationship. I do not have ZS7 (it was much more expensive to get in Canada), a general opinion is CCA10 is a bit warmer than ZS7.
With any IEM something can go wrong - cable connection problems, housing damage, etc. - one can take any options to prepare or to choose to wait until it happens.

Feb 2, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #41,478 of 63,919
Compared to C10 with more detail and relaxed sound........drum riffs that are blurry usually are clear and amazing as some of the stuff guys actually pulled off. Even some of my old stuff freaked me out.....this iems drivers are so fast its wild. Relaxed and fast....I guess the shear number eases up processing the riffs or other fast complicated stuff...lasek for your ears maybe. Its fun to check wild stuff you’ve heard over the years and hear how good it really is, thats my take being a drummer since 10 years of age......

Graphs? “I got no stinkin badges(graphs...lol”)

New toy effect is valid point so I’ve been on and off listening all day. Neighbor and I went out etc. It still blows my mind but I hear ya.....how would I get all that from a graph? Seriously I’m curious not being nasty.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #41,479 of 63,919
Hi there; should you buy the zs7, please let us know your impression vs AS10: some say the ZS7 are better, others say it's the AS10; maybe you can compare them to other KZs you own (ZS4 or ZSR?). Thanks!

I received the AS10, C10 and ZS7 this week. Have been using them with the basic silver KZ balanced cables on my FiiO X7 MK II.

These are my first impressions after using them for a few days, they could change after using them for a longer period of time.

The ZS7 and AS10 should be pretty similar sounding, with the same BA setup, just a DD driver for bass and a different housing, but they don't at all. Maybe the ZS7 sounds more like the BA10, but I haven't heard that one.

The ZS7 is exciting sounding. It has a very nice (at times holophonic) soundstage and good instrument separation, it sprinkles details all around you. The treble is clear and it is a bit forward sounding. The bass is powerful and deep and has a very good slam to it, a bit surprising for a dynamic driver. It is not forgiving; bad recordings will sound unpleasantly bad. However, good recordings that were unremarkable before now suddenly grab your attention. It is not neutral or flat sounding, but full and a bit warm in a very pleasant way. I find myself wondering what certain songs will sound like on the ZS7. It is especially good for electronic music, percussion and music with strong bass.
Treble might not be the most accurate, though that could still improve with more use, its other traits more than make up for that, I am surprised and impressed by it. I personally like the metal industrial looking design a lot, it is smaller than I expected and very comfortable to wear. Build quality feels great. Haven't moved the crossover boards out of the way yet.

The AS10 grabs you and says, okay, seriously now, let me give you a bit more neutral representation of your music. It has stronger mids than the ZS7, but treble is more recessed, It doesn't seem to be especially accurate or smooth sounding, slightly harsh at times, no sibilance though. It does sound a bit more dark, which I find surprising for a five BA driver earphone. It is more neutral and flat sounding than the ZS7, but also more congested sounding. The soundstage is smaller, with less instrument separation. Bass is less powerful, but tight and punchy with a nice texture, but it lacks the slam and sub bass of the ZS7. Percussion sounds nicely sharp. The sound of the AS10 is less in your face than the ZS7, it should be less fatiguing, but is also less exciting. Wind noise is quite bad when riding a bike with them, haven't tried with the others yet. Build quality seems good, they are light, not as solid and premium feeling as the ZS7 and C10 with their metal parts.

The C10 is a favorite on Head-Fi. It is a very polite sounding earphone, very smooth, but also a bit unexciting. It has a nice soundstage that can sound holophonic at times, though instrument separation is not that great. Bass can be strong and textured if needed, but it lacks the slam and tightness of the ZS7. It is refined and relaxing sounding, with some nicely rendered textures, which can grab you at times. Treble is forgiving, it is not very detailed or accurate sounding, it doesn't sparkle like the ZS7. Mids are pretty recessed, voices can get drowned a bit by instruments. Mine has very annoying driver flex in the right phone while inserting, it even made my ear ring. It needs a bit more power than the AS10 and ZS7. Build quality is great.

All in all, the ZS7 is the big suprise to me right now. I was expecting to like the AS10 the most, because I love BA sound and I like an accurate neutral sound (loved my Etymotic ER4 and have really been enjoying my Phonaks). I thought the only difference would be the bass. I'm currently a bit underwhelmed by the C10s, after all the hype here. My wife and a colleague have listened to them and were unimpressed. I hope they will still improve with time.

I ordered the **** as well on the 21st of Januari at AliExpress, but the seller still hasn't sent them. I suppose it will take another week. If it wasn't for the good price I got, I would have cancelled and ordered somewhere else. I am not impressed with their service. VS Audio Store, NiceHCK, MissAudio and the official KZ store have been great though.

Suffering from GAS for the C16 now though, sounds like it improves the parts of the AS10 that are lacking. Though I wonder if it could rival the spacious sound of the ZS7 and its bass slam.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #41,480 of 63,919
I prefer warmer sound signatures rather than bright or "analytical" sound, but I dont like the bumming of low mids; I love a big punch in the lower bass, and clear but not fatiguing highs (like, clear sound with a subwoofer added :wink: ) I know, hard to find in the sub $100 category. The AS10 sound good in my opinion, but I wouldn't mind more punch in the bass. I heard the Kanas Pro may be the ones I should be looking at, possibly also the Ibasso IT01 (I know, you're a bog fan of it!), but the ZS7 are way cheaper and apparently, they seem pretty good. I don't think the modded Tin Audio T2 would satisfy me due to the lack of deep and strong bass. What is the best IEM you would recommend for up to $50? BTW, my source is Cayin N3 or Sony A45, (sometimes paired with Fioo amp A3).

Well, keep in mind I’ve never heard many of the hyped $50ish IEMs - BA10, AS10, AS06, all the new CCA models.

But you really are describing the IT01 to a T. It’s head and shoulders above any KZ I’ve ever heard, including the ZS7. And I’m a KZ fan, so it’s not like I’m biased that anything KZ is awesome.

Also, I didn’t like the bass mod to the T2. It made the bass bloated, it bleeds into the midrange, and causes an unbearable amount of driver flex. The T3 is supposed to have more low end, so it could be the answer we’ve all been asking for since the T2 came out.

Feb 2, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #41,481 of 63,919
Want some mad crazy thumping bass with rumbly sub bass with clean mids and a sparkly treble? NICE HCK EP10. Will set you back about $15. My mind is still blown at it. A single 11mm PET driver that can withstand +20db bass boost and 60% volume from my Cayin C5 in High Gain(800mw=800mw), before distortion. Sounds good at reg listening volumes too.

Good point. I keep forgetting about EP10.

It’s too bad it doesn’t get talked about much. There’s just so many different options nowadays; it’s mind boggling.

Anyways, you’re right the EP10 would meet the signature he’s describing. It’s built like an army tank, comfortable to wear, nice cable, included carry case.

My only complaint is the short nozzles, which wouldn’t give me a deep enough seal and a secure enzough fit. But that is an individual thing that may not affect most people. Nothing some Spinfits, along with keyboard orings couldn’t fix. Now it’s perfect.

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #41,482 of 63,919

It’s too bad it doesn’t get talked about much. There’s just so many different options nowadays; it’s mind boggling.

Anyways, you’re right the EP10 would meet the signature he’s describing. It’s built like an army tank, comfortable to wear, nice cable, included carry case.

My only complaint is the short nozzles, which wouldn’t give me a deep enough seal and a secure enzough fit. But that is an individual thing that may not affect most people. Nothing some Spinfits, along with keyboard orings couldn’t fix. Now it’s perfect.
Yea the short nozzles suck. I went up a size and ended up using Spiral Dots L on them. They still have issues tho. What size Spinfits are your recommendation? I have been thinking about them as they have a longer nozzle then most tips. They might work well

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #41,483 of 63,919
Yea the short nozzles suck. I went up a size and ended up using Spiral Dots L on them. They still have issues tho. What size Spinfits are your recommendation? I have been thinking about them as they have a longer nozzle then most tips. They might work well

The long eartip core is exactly why the Spinfits work best on IEMs with really short nozzles. It has the longest core I’ve found on a readily available eartip. I found another tip with an even longer core, but they were obscure and hard to find so I gave up.

I tried double and triple flange tips (which are long too), but I wasn’t a fan of the fit or the sound.

The Spinfits I went with were the CP100. They have a red core (which the red might indicate the M size ).

I got them during 11.11 (from NiceHCK I believe). They were $4.xx a pair ($4.20 or $4.40 I don’t remember exactly).

I only save them as last resort tips, in cases just like the EP10. Otherwise, Starlines and Auvios are almost always my go to eartip.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #41,484 of 63,919
I received the AS10, C10 and ZS7 this week. Have been using them with the basic silver KZ balanced cables on my FiiO X7 MK II.

These are my first impressions after using them for a few days, they could change after using them for a longer period of time.

The ZS7 and AS10 should be pretty similar sounding, with the same BA setup, just a DD driver for bass and a different housing, but they don't at all. Maybe the ZS7 sounds more like the BA10, but I haven't heard that one.

The ZS7 is exciting sounding. It has a very nice (at times holophonic) soundstage and good instrument separation, it sprinkles details all around you. The treble is clear and it is a bit forward sounding. The bass is powerful and deep and has a very good slam to it, a bit surprising for a dynamic driver. It is not forgiving; bad recordings will sound unpleasantly bad. However, good recordings that were unremarkable before now suddenly grab your attention. It is not neutral or flat sounding, but full and a bit warm in a very pleasant way. I find myself wondering what certain songs will sound like on the ZS7. It is especially good for electronic music, percussion and music with strong bass.
Treble might not be the most accurate, though that could still improve with more use, its other traits more than make up for that, I am surprised and impressed by it. I personally like the metal industrial looking design a lot, it is smaller than I expected and very comfortable to wear. Build quality feels great. Haven't moved the crossover boards out of the way yet.

The AS10 grabs you and says, okay, seriously now, let me give you a bit more neutral representation of your music. It has stronger mids than the ZS7, but treble is more recessed, It doesn't seem to be especially accurate or smooth sounding, slightly harsh at times, no sibilance though. It does sound a bit more dark, which I find surprising for a five BA driver earphone. It is more neutral and flat sounding than the ZS7, but also more congested sounding. The soundstage is smaller, with less instrument separation. Bass is less powerful, but tight and punchy with a nice texture, but it lacks the slam and sub bass of the ZS7. Percussion sounds nicely sharp. The sound of the AS10 is less in your face than the ZS7, it should be less fatiguing, but is also less exciting. Wind noise is quite bad when riding a bike with them, haven't tried with the others yet. Build quality seems good, they are light, not as solid and premium feeling as the ZS7 and C10 with their metal parts.

The C10 is a favorite on Head-Fi. It is a very polite sounding earphone, very smooth, but also a bit unexciting. It has a nice soundstage that can sound holophonic at times, though instrument separation is not that great. Bass can be strong and textured if needed, but it lacks the slam and tightness of the ZS7. It is refined and relaxing sounding, with some nicely rendered textures, which can grab you at times. Treble is forgiving, it is not very detailed or accurate sounding, it doesn't sparkle like the ZS7. Mids are pretty recessed, voices can get drowned a bit by instruments. Mine has very annoying driver flex in the right phone while inserting, it even made my ear ring. It needs a bit more power than the AS10 and ZS7. Build quality is great.

All in all, the ZS7 is the big suprise to me right now. I was expecting to like the AS10 the most, because I love BA sound and I like an accurate neutral sound (loved my Etymotic ER4 and have really been enjoying my Phonaks). I thought the only difference would be the bass. I'm currently a bit underwhelmed by the C10s, after all the hype here. My wife and a colleague have listened to them and were unimpressed. I hope they will still improve with time.

I ordered the **** as well on the 21st of Januari at AliExpress, but the seller still hasn't sent them. I suppose it will take another week. If it wasn't for the good price I got, I would have cancelled and ordered somewhere else. I am not impressed with their service. VS Audio Store, NiceHCK, MissAudio and the official KZ store have been great though.

Suffering from GAS for the C16 now though, sounds like it improves the parts of the AS10 that are lacking. Though I wonder if it could rival the spacious sound of the ZS7 and its bass slam.
Very detailed and interesting overview of the last popular iems in town. Thanks fellow Dutchman! After the zs6 an ed16 I hoped for a real good monitor without overwhelming treble. The zs7 is just what I hoped for. Although my zs6 is almost as good after my latest mods.

Feb 2, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #41,485 of 63,919
The long eartip core is exactly why the Spinfits work best on IEMs with really short nozzles. It has the longest core I’ve found on a readily available eartip. I found another tip with an even longer core, but they were obscure and hard to find so I gave up.

I tried double and triple flange tips (which are long too), but I wasn’t a fan of the fit or the sound.

The Spinfits I went with were the CP100. They have a red core (which the red might indicate the M size ).

I got them during 11.11 (from NiceHCK I believe). They were $4.xx a pair ($4.20 or $4.40 I don’t remember exactly).

I only save them as last resort tips, in cases just like the EP10. Otherwise, Starlines and Auvios are almost always my go to eartip.

Thanks. I will order those and try them. I have yet to use spinfits. Always so expensive and I personally go Sony Hybrid for small bore, and Spiral Dots for wide bore. I do like Auvios thanks to you and Radio Shack having them super cheap, so those are used frequently too.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #41,486 of 63,919
Thanks. I will order those and try them. I have yet to use spinfits. Always so expensive and I personally go Sony Hybrid for small bore, and Spiral Dots for wide bore. I do like Auvios thanks to you and Radio Shack having them super cheap, so those are used frequently too.

Yes, the Spinfits are expensive. That’s why I only own 2 pairs, use them only as a last resort, and waited until they were on sale to order them.

That’s also why the Rosewill EX500 is a good deal right now, as it comes with a full set of Spinfits :wink:

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #41,487 of 63,919

The EP10 is pretty neat for the price and it does have the same tuning as the IT01, but the detail, texture in bass and clarity in the treble is lacking.With KZ stock black tips, they fit securely and are comfortable.
In no area does it beat the IT01, unlike the KZ7 I believe as it probably has better soundstage if it's anything like the KZ5.
I don't think anyone can be disappointed by the EP10 for its price.

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #41,488 of 63,919
Very detailed and interesting overview of the last popular iems in town. Thanks fellow Dutchman! After the zs6 an ed16 I hoped for a real good monitor without overwhelming treble. The zs7 is just what I hoped for. Although my zs6 is almost as good after my latest mods.

I’m so glad KZ listened to the ZS6 complaints and fixed all of them:

1. More low end
2. Better midrange
3. Eliminate piercing treble
4. Eliminate sibilance
5. Nozzle lip to keep tips on

They nailed it. I have modded ZS6 too, and I do love them but the ZS7 is definitely superior.

Feb 3, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #41,490 of 63,919
The EP10 is pretty neat for the price and it does have the same tuning as the IT01, but the detail, texture in bass and clarity in the treble is lacking.With KZ stock black tips, they fit securely and are comfortable.
In no area does it beat the IT01, unlike the KZ7 I believe as it probably has better soundstage if it's anything like the KZ5.
I don't think anyone can be disappointed by the EP10 for its price.
The EP10 is for bassheads only. Most of the KZ's are superior and are basshead friendly better choices. I didn't find that the spinfits helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back