Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 11, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #39,421 of 64,378
Tbh, my zsn and as10 stomp all over my jh roxanne v1 ($1400). Maybe I got a bad pair but mine is a sibilance monsterh; has adjustable bass, but sadly only increase mid bass which make the sound muddy as hell; this thing is a monster (as10is puny compared to this monster), my ear will start hurting after 30 min of use; the cable while good, but heavy af. The only good thing is the separation, layering (which to be expected as this thing has 12 drivers per side) and the metal case.
What I mean is not every "high end" or more expensive stuff are better. Some bad and some good.

sadly, I don't think any KZ I've tested can beat the CA Andromeda (even better now since I finally made the DIY IEMatch to get rid of hissing from my source).

The sound just have more resolution/definition, and even the soundstage is bigger than the ZS5v1 without the mids being affected (vocals sounds brilliant on it).

which is funny, since a friend bought the ZS5 purely to see if the Andro shape will fit his ears and that it won't be too uncomfortable for long usage.

Dec 11, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #39,424 of 64,378
Does KZ need to go into that financial bracket or has KZ have they hit a home run with the AS10/BA10?

I don't think they need to, but they're slowly going up the bracket, at least. The BA10 is already around $80 or so, only a matter of time until they go past $100. Probably with the coming 16 driver.

Either way, judging from the ZSN, I think they know the main appeal of their brand and still maintaining the lower-bracket bang-for-buck models while still slowly dipping their toes on the more expensive models.

Basically, while I know this will get lost among the many posts made here, people shouldn't really worry too much about the higher end and more expensive models being released by KZ. If you like KZ for the cheap stuff, you can expect the cheap stuff coming because that's where they move the big volume sales at. No one is forcing you to get the more expensive models, especially when past the $50, there's so many variety being made in chi-fi.

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #39,427 of 64,378
Maybe you got a bad pair? If you have channel imbalances then the more likely it's bad is greater.
Oh and I did search "technical death metal" on youtube and yeah...not my kinda music :sweat_smile: all I hear is dudududududdududududududududududud and a dude with sore throat xD. (this is just a joke)

Whether it had that channel imbalance is more of a matter of build quality...

Yes. Just looking for context. A kid a week or so ago was coming from hd600(i believe) and loved how warm and lush the ZSN was. Warm and lush is not how I would describe them, but since I knew where he was coming from, I could buy into it.

Just want to make sure we are not posting first impressions of a new minivan, after driving around in a bunch of sportscars.

Anyway, thanks for your impressions George.

Yes, I don't think I come from something similar in price and design, thus my opinion...

Speed, agility, separation, layering and imaging:
(listen for the snap and definition of each hit on each drum piece)

Now for a polar opposite.

Low end texture, midrange texture, air and sibilance (even these soft vocals should still be just AHEAD of a gentle but defined bass line):

I listen to metal in general... It is important to know what you are coming from, to better asses why there are those differences.

Mr. Dobre Georgescu, it looks like your ZSN is a bit defective. Did it fall out of your hands, on concrete? Did you hit it with the hammer? :yum:
Mine is different...

I don't think it is defective, I think that I have a pretty high reference point though.

there's probably nothing wrong with his unit, its all about perspective (the analogy above about reviewing minivans after driving supercars is apt).

Its hard to go down to a lower tier after experiencing the higher echelon of IEMs, even past $200 makes quite a difference.

Yes, that is pretty true. ZSN sounds pretty much like the best IEM I heard for 20$, the kind I used to enjoy as a kid, when I didn't know better IEMs existed. Nothing wrong with it, for ~20USD it is majestic :)

Dec 11, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #39,428 of 64,378
I don't think it is defective, I think that I have a pretty high reference point though.
... the kind I used to enjoy as a kid, when I didn't know better IEMs existed...
Oh sir, please calm down your horse and jump down to the common earthlings... Or are you yet kidding? There is no need to exaggerate, or you'll jump over the horse, if you know what I mean (nu e cazul să sari peste cal).
You are not the only one who own expensive gears and the judgement of such items is always subjective and depends on such factors like the age, the personal taste and preferences. And yes, I enjoy to put away my expensive "toys" to experiment some cheap items like KZ ZSN or AS10. In my opinion their sound is far "better" than in the case of other similar but much more expensive IEMs. Few years ago, maybe when you was a kid, the price of a headphone with only 1 (one) BA began from few hundred usd... So, your "pretty high reference point" when we talk about 15-20 usd KZ earphones is a... what is it?

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #39,429 of 64,378
Oh sir, please calm down your horse and jump down to the common earthlings... Or are you yet kidding? There is no need to exaggerate, or you'll jump over the horse, if you know what I mean (nu e cazul să sari peste cal).
You are not the only one who own expensive gears and the judgement of such items is always subjective and depends on such factors like the age, the personal taste and preferences. And yes, I enjoy to put away my expensive "toys" to experiment some cheap items like KZ ZSN or AS10. In my opinion their sound is far "better" than in the case of other similar but much more expensive IEMs. Few years ago, maybe when you was a kid, the price of a headphone with only 1 (one) BA began from few hundred usd... So, your "pretty high reference point" when we talk about 15-20 usd KZ earphones is a... what is it?

For example, compared to KZ AS10, AS10 is better in terms of sonics, more detailed, more textures, better overall definition.

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #39,430 of 64,378
Unfortunately I don't have the ZSA (even though I've always kinda wanted it since it looks like a baby ZS6).
I have a couple, I like them. They are one of my daily drivers, depending on what I am doing. I like how compact and small they are. The metal housing looks cool, feels high quality. In fact I showed them to a guy I know that sells high end audio gear, his comment, "Nice, they look like Nobles".
I am not great at comparing iems in terms of sound, I am much better with over ear headphones, but I will say this: when I got my ZSN I did a little bit of a/b listening with the ZSA. They aren't drastically different, the interesting thing I noticed about the ZSA was it sounded like an aluminum housing. By comparison to the ZSN, there is a sort of crisp quality, it's a little more energetic and sharp, it's metallic, in a good way.

Dec 11, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #39,433 of 64,378
II will say this: when I got my ZSN I did a little bit of a/b listening with the ZSA. They aren't drastically different, the interesting thing I noticed about the ZSA was it sounded like an aluminum housing. By comparison to the ZSN, there is a sort of crisp quality, it's a little more energetic and sharp, it's metallic, in a good way.
That's one of the biggest things I hate about metal housings, the music sounds metallic. When I found KZ I fell in love with the plastic housing sound and didn't hear the echo type sounds from metal IEM's. The ZSN is only partially metallic so it'll be interested to hear that sounds but as you noted, it does sound metallic a bit, in a good way. And, with peoples responses in the thread it sounds like a delightful good way.

Dec 11, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #39,434 of 64,378
Why it takes so long for vendor in Aliexpress to ship their order?

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #39,435 of 64,378

Users who are viewing this thread

Back