Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Dec 11, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #39,437 of 64,011
That's one of the biggest things I hate about metal housings, the music sounds metallic. When I found KZ I fell in love with the plastic housing sound and didn't hear the echo type sounds from metal IEM's. The ZSN is only partially metallic so it'll be interested to hear that sounds but as you noted, it does sound metallic a bit, in a good way. And, with peoples responses in the thread it sounds like a delightful good way.
I think you misunderstood my post...the ZSA sounds metallic... compared to the ZSN. The ZSN is smoother, it doesn't sound metallic at all.

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #39,438 of 64,011
people shouldn't really worry too much about the higher end and more expensive models being released by KZ. If you like KZ for the cheap stuff, you can expect the cheap stuff coming because that's where they move the big volume sales at. No one is forcing you to get the more expensive models, especially when past the $50, there's so many variety being made in chi-fi.
Cheap stuff is cheap stuff but are the KZ high-end models worth it? It shouldn't be about the price. I was the idiot who bought 30+ earbuds and iem's for $10 - $15 expecting to hear huge differences from headphones that probably came from similar factories and with similar materials. Price shouldn't be an issue and people shouldn't only stick their foot in cheapskate waters if they can afford a more expensive IEM. If I was more wise I would have spent that $500 wasted on cheapo IEM's and bought some really good high end ones that would last me years. Now I have boxes of $10 IEM's sitting in a closet collecting dust.

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #39,439 of 64,011
I think you misunderstood my post...the ZSA sounds metallic... compared to the ZSN. The ZSN is smoother, it doesn't sound metallic at all.
I understood your post. :wink: I thought you said the ZSN sort of sounded metallic but in a good way. I guess if someone listens to heavy metal a more metallic sounding IEM would be better? :wink:

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #39,440 of 64,011
Damn, ZSN sounds like a great option for me, too bad they don't ship to Canada (unless I want to pay a $30 shipping fee lol).
I hope that changes after this postal strike situation is fixed and better for everyone. I've noticed high shipping charges like that on E-Bay now too. If the shipping charges don't go down we're stuck in Canada to ordering products under $15 on Aliexpress because apparently according to one seller they aren't applying high shipping costs to those low cost orders.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #39,441 of 64,011
I understood your post. :wink: I thought you said the ZSN sort of sounded metallic but in a good way. I guess if someone listens to heavy metal a more metallic sounding IEM would be better? :wink:
LOL...Nope. you still aren't getting it.
ZSA: all metal body...sounds metallic in a good way
ZSN: partially metal, does not sound metallic at all...the housing resonates and hums more...it's warmer by comparison.
ok?

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #39,442 of 64,011
Basically, while I know this will get lost among the many posts made here, people shouldn't really worry too much about the higher end and more expensive models being released by KZ. If you like KZ for the cheap stuff, you can expect the cheap stuff coming because that's where they move the big volume sales at. No one is forcing you to get the more expensive models, especially when past the $50, there's so many variety being made in chi-fi.
Why would I get 1 500$ IEM that sounds amazing when I could have had 10 50$ IEM that all sounds different (even if they are never as good as the expensive one?). What I want in an IEM is not the best sound quality, but something cheap that I can simply change for something else depending on my mood. That's why I have started to look into KZ and started buying cheap IEMs instead of always trying something more expensive. At the end of the day, do I really know what sound signature I really like? Would I have really liked the 500$ IEM if it didn't sound like I actually would like it to?
I always thought I liked a brighter sound signature. But since I ordered the AS10 and ZSN at the same time. I never actually really listened to the ZSN because I can't get the AS10 out of my ears.
Damn, ZSN sounds like a great option for me, too bad they don't ship to Canada (unless I want to pay a $30 shipping fee lol).

Anyone have any other alternatives? Looking for an under $20.

I hope that changes after this postal strike situation is fixed and better for everyone. I've noticed high shipping charges like that on E-Bay now too. If the shipping charges don't go down we're stuck in Canada to ordering products under $15 on Aliexpress because apparently according to one seller they aren't applying high shipping costs to those low cost orders.
I just discovered AliExpress and was really impressed with how good it was. I never really liked ebay for some odd reason although I never had any issue on the site.
But I wanted to buy more stuff too and I guess the only option right now is to wait. Be patient. I needed to change my DAC/AMP combo, but I guess I'll wait until the end of my vacations to see if the strike is done.

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #39,443 of 64,011
LOL...Nope. you still aren't getting it.
ZSA: all metal body...sounds metallic in a good way
ZSN: partially metal, does not sound metallic at all...the housing resonates and hums more...it's warmer by comparison.
ok?
I get it,. Let's move on. The only part I was confused with was the ZSN not sounding metallic at all despite having a metal back.

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #39,444 of 64,011
Cheap stuff is cheap stuff but are the KZ high-end models worth it? It shouldn't be about the price. I was the idiot who bought 30+ earbuds and iem's for $10 - $15 expecting to hear huge differences from headphones that probably came from similar factories and with similar materials. Price shouldn't be an issue and people shouldn't only stick their foot in cheapskate waters if they can afford a more expensive IEM. If I was more wise I would have spent that $500 wasted on cheapo IEM's and bought some really good high end ones that would last me years. Now I have boxes of $10 IEM's sitting in a closet collecting dust.

Maybe put them up for sale on the FS board?

You could sell them in lots of 3-5. That’s what I would do.

Buying a lot is a great way for new members to start down the ChiFi path. Or students on a tight budget to save some money.

A lot of 3 is nice, because (for example) it could give buyers 1 for home, 1 for a gym bag, and 1 for a school backpack. It also saves on shipping costs, and allows buyers to try a few different sound signatures.

Just food for thought...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #39,445 of 64,011
Why would I get 1 500$ IEM that sounds amazing when I could have had 10 50$ IEM that all sounds different (even if they are never as good as the expensive one?). What I want in an IEM is not the best sound quality, but something cheap that I can simply change for something else depending on my mood. That's why I have started to look into KZ and started buying cheap IEMs instead of always trying something more expensive. At the end of the day, do I really know what sound signature I really like? Would I have really liked the 500$ IEM if it didn't sound like I actually would like it to? But since I ordered the AS10 and ZSN at the same time. I never actually really listened to the ZSN because I can't get the AS10 out of my ears..
I think buying a $1,500 IEM is a waste of money but not to a millionaire. It makes sense. I'd rather spend $100 on one or lower. I'm not exactly sure why you don't want an IEM that sounds good as that confuses me. Why listen to music if you don't want it to sound the best that it can?

Please be smarter than me and buy a bunch of $50 IEM's instead of $10 ones. Then again, screw that, just buy three $50 IEM's and figure out after that what you want to do next... a new music player perhaps?

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #39,446 of 64,011
Catching up on this thread, my credit card info was used fraudulently after buying from Penon as well :unamused:

We need to stick to their Aliexpress store only from now on. Unfortunately, it doesn't come up easily in searches. :frowning2:

I contacted Penon about it, he said they have fixed it by removing the credit payment directly through their website and instead to use paypal. In this day an age the hacking will only get worse.

well once you search their store on ali and make it a favorite store, no issues finding it. This was my first transaction with them, they shipped it fast, just wish I went with paypal to begin with.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #39,447 of 64,011
Maybe put them up for sale on the FS board?

You could sell them in lots of 3-5. That’s what I would do..
I will do that for sure when I can... anything to help out new members. I don't even care about financial losses as I've already made a huge one making the mistake doing it. The least I can do at this point is help others discover good earbuds/iems that I don't appreciate from too much quantity (but should). Thanks for the thoughtful post. :)

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #39,448 of 64,011
I think buying a $1,500 IEM is a waste of money but not to a millionaire. It makes sense. I'd rather spend $100 on one or lower. I'm not exactly sure why you don't want an IEM that sounds good as that confuses me. Why listen to music if you don't want it to sound the best that it can?

Please be smarter than me and buy a bunch of $50 IEM's instead of $10 ones. Then again, screw that, just buy three $50 IEM's and figure out after that what you want to do next... a new music player perhaps?
Depends on the money you have and what you want :p Audio is completely subjective for me. I could get something that sounds just perfect for me, but right now, as a student, cheap IEMs are better. Sound quality is great but you can only go so far. On top of that I mostly listen to music as a background, not as my main activity. My brain won't care about how the 500$ IEM is 10% better (hyperbole, I like them xD). In the other hand, I can ear the difference in sound signature more easily than I can ear the difference in "sound quality", once again that might be because music is more of a background for me.
And yes, my AS10 and ZSN sound so different that I won't buy any other IEM for a while (at least until there is the successor the ZS6 which looks really interesting to me) but a new music player? For sure. My Fiio X1 II is driving me crazy. It's great! But I can't deal with 5 seconds of wait each time I want to change a song.

Dec 11, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #39,450 of 64,011
In the other hand, I can ear the difference in sound signature more easily than I can ear the difference in "sound quality", once again that might be because music is more of a background for me.
And yes, my AS10 and ZSN sound so different that I won't buy any other IEM for a while (at least until there is the successor the ZS6 which looks really interesting to me) but a new music player? For sure. My Fiio X1 II is driving me crazy. It's great! But I can't deal with 5 seconds of wait each time I want to change a song.
I always wonder about how much those two connected. Your post makes me think about that more deeply. Sound quality is usually related the recording itself and with cheaper headphones and sound signature is usually related to brand identity. I'm glad you're wise/smart enough to realize those two are good enough for now. Sometimes greed is a bad thing, err always? :wink: I don't like collecting stuff but it seems to sometimes happen naturally like with KZ. How can you not collect them? Cables are interchangeable and you can just throw ten pairs of them in a sock and put them in a drawer with no notice.

How is your Fiio anyway? Haven't they fixed those bugs yet? Ugh. That player has been on the market for years and there is still lag time between songs? How is the sound quality and have you heard other music players? I'm curious about the Fiio M3K myself as the price tag is low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back