Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 31, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #37,531 of 64,162
AS A SIDE NOTE

Anybody have any idea why the ZSN is coming so soon on the heels of the ES4/ZSA? How many dual-driver hybrids does the brand need?

you must be new here.:ksc75smile: Its a fairly typical KZ release schedule. A product gets released, people talk about it for a month or so then another model drops and we move on to the newer shinier toy.

Other than the mostly maligned ED12, its been a slow steady refinement for each model in each series. maybe even KZ have learnt they needed to streamline their models and create distinct separation. Or the current track of ZS and AS series is a fluke and we'll go back to the mishmash of models once they announce their lineup next year.

I do wish they released the AS-06 in the ZSN shell though

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #37,532 of 64,162
Anybody have any idea why the ZSN is coming so soon on the heels of the ES4/ZSA? How many dual-driver hybrids does the brand need?

you must be new here.:ksc75smile: Its a fairly typical KZ release schedule. A product gets released, people talk about it for a month or so then another model drops and we move on to the newer shinier toy.

Other than the mostly maligned ED12, its been a slow steady refinement for each model in each series. maybe even KZ have learnt they needed to streamline their models and create distinct separation. Or the current track of ZS and AS series is a fluke and we'll go back to the mishmash of models once they announce their lineup next year.

I look at it like this:

ZS4 is a direct upgrade from the ZS3. It took ~1.5-2 years between models.

ZSN is a direct upgrade from the ZST. It took ~2 years between models.

ZS6 was a direct upgrade from the ZS5. It took ~1.5 years between models.

ZS7 is a direct upgrade from the ZS6. It (will probably) take ~1.5 years between models.

ES4 is a direct upgrade from the ES3. It took ~1.5 years between models.

ED16 is a direct upgrade from the ED12. It took ~2 years between models.

Anyone see the pattern?

And along the way, KZ introduces totally new models here and there - ED15, ZSA, BA10, AS10, etc.

I think they do this to 1. release flagships, 2. feel out the market on the black sheep models, and 3. see what ‘brown stuff’ will stick on the wall. If one model is a dud (like they claim the ED16 was), they abandon it and move on.

Sure, not every model fits the pattern perfectly. But it at least the basic 18-24 month pattern offers a glimpse into the logic of their model upgrade schedule.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #37,533 of 64,162
I look at it like this:

ZS4 is a direct upgrade to ZS3. It took ~1.5-2 years between models.

ZSN is a direct upgrade to ZST. It took ~2 years between models.

ZS6 was a direct upgrade to the ZS5. It took ~1.5 years between models.

ZS7 is a direct upgrade to ZS6. It (will probably) take ~1.5 years between models.

ES4 is a direct upgrade to ES3. It took ~1.5 years between models.

Anyone see the pattern?
Alright if the ZSN is tuned more like the ZST, then that makes a lot more sense. I remember the ZST being less refined but overall more balanced than the ES3 (which was a fun V-shaped bass party), so I guess ES4 carries that on while the ZSN (hopefully) ends up with a shallower V than usual. Otherwise I guess ZSA is an oddball.

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #37,534 of 64,162
I look at it like this:

ZS4 is a direct upgrade from the ZS3. It took ~1.5-2 years between models.

ZSN is a direct upgrade from the ZST. It took ~2 years between models.

ZS6 was a direct upgrade from the ZS5. It took ~1.5 years between models.

ZS7 is a direct upgrade from the ZS6. It (will probably) take ~1.5 years between models.

ES4 is a direct upgrade from the ES3. It took ~1.5 years between models.

Anyone see the pattern?

yup, due to people seeing all the models announced all at once, they all go "What, KZ just flooding the market and not bothering to tune their models"

so far its been a steady improvement/refinement (according to their house sound, at least) and then sprinkling of something new like the ZSR/ZSA/ED16, the all BA models like AS10 and revisiting ED series like the ED15

if they're big enough to do something like that, more power to them. Maybe they'll decide one day that they're good enough to start making their own BA and DD.

Oct 31, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #37,535 of 64,162
yup, due to people seeing all the models announced all at once, they all go "What, KZ just flooding the market and not bothering to tune their models"

so far its been a steady improvement/refinement (according to their house sound, at least) and then sprinkling of something new like the ZSR/ZSA/ED16, the all BA models like AS10 and revisiting ED series like the ED15

if they're big enough to do something like that, more power to them. Maybe they'll decide one day that they're good enough to start making their own BA and DD.

Exactly.

It’s no different than how every year in October the car dealers “flood” the showroom with the new year models.

If one didn’t know better, it may seem on the surface that it’s just a wall of random new cars. However, we obviously know that each new year model is simply an updated version of the previous one.

A Chevy truck is not ‘competing’ with a Corvette, just like the minivan isn’t competing with the compact car. They’re all different models with different prices, features, power levels, etc.

The 2019 truck is simply an update to the 2018 truck. Just like the 2019 Corvette is simply an update to the 2018 Corvette, etc

So in my example, the ZS6/ZS7 is like a 2018/2019 Corvette, and the ES3/ES4 is like the 2018/2019 truck, and so on.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #37,536 of 64,162
Been doing a lot of A/Bing with ZST, ZSR, ZS6 and ZSN. So far, the ZSN is the best sounding from those four. It combines all the good traits from the other three models, but not only that, it also has the most forward mid and treble presentation than those other three.

-. ZST vs ZSN: - the ZST sound pretty subdued especially the high and mid (deep V shaped); treble is rolled off pretty quickly (cymbal sounds like SSss, very short decay); ZST has pretty punchy and good detail in bass, but it can, most of the time buried the vocal. Build quality and fit are good on both, but ZSN with its metal back is just gorgeous.
- the ZSN in comparison sounds airier, vocal and treble are more forward and you can easily hear what the singer say especially with song that has a lot of instruments going on, treble also more pronounced and decay is medium length (cymbal sounds like SSSsss); bass has same detail as ZST and with good amount of body and punch to it, but still just a touch lesser than the ZST. The ZSN is the better sounding IEM imho.

-. ZSR vs ZSN: - the ZSR has a little bit more forward mid and treble than ZST, but compared to the ZSN, the ZSR sounds pretty dark (deep V shaped); treble is quite airy and sparkle, but not quite forward. Bass is less punchy than ZSN and a bit more boomy. Again the bass can, most of the time, buried the vocal, but less than the ZST. Both ZST and ZSR sounds way darker and warmer than ZSN. Build quality is good, but fit is not that good as my ear start hurting after using the ZSR for about one hour or so.
- the ZSN, again, has more forward and airy in mid/treble presentation with punchier and more detailed bass. For me, the ZSN is the clear winner.

-. ZS6 vs ZSN: - the ZS6 has the most airiness and widest soundstage from all four IEMs, but its drawback is it is very prone to sibilance. The bass on ZS6 is quite punchy, but has less body than ZSN. Although ZS6 has more forward mid presentation than ZST/ZSR, it is still a bit behind than the ZSN. Build quality and fit are good, although you can over the time "feel" that it want to fall off due to its weight.
- the ZSN has less airiness and soundstage than ZS6, but with more forward in mid presentation, it sounds more intimate than the ZS6.

It is easy to pick the winner between ZSN and ZST/ZSR, but it is very hard to pick between ZS6 and ZSN. If I were new to KZ addiction, I would definitely buy both ZSN and ZS6. Hope that helps.

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #37,537 of 64,162
Been doing a lot of A/Bing with ZST, ZSR, ZS6 and ZSN. So far, the ZSN is the best sounding from those four. It combines all the good traits from the other three models, but not only that, it also has the most forward mid and treble presentation than those other three.

-. ZST vs ZSN: - the ZST sound pretty subdued especially the high and mid (deep V shaped); treble is rolled off pretty quickly (cymbal sounds like SSss, very short decay); ZST has pretty punchy and good detail in bass, but it can, most of the time buried the vocal. Build quality and fit are good on both, but ZSN with its metal back is just gorgeous.
- the ZSN in comparison sounds airier, vocal and treble are more forward and you can easily hear what the singer say especially with song that has a lot of instruments going on, treble also more pronounced and decay is medium length (cymbal sounds like SSSsss); bass has same detail as ZST and with good amount of body and punch to it, but still just a touch lesser than the ZST. The ZSN is the better sounding IEM imho.

-. ZSR vs ZSN: - the ZSR has a little bit more forward mid and treble than ZST, but compared to the ZSN, the ZSR sounds pretty dark (deep V shaped); treble is quite airy and sparkle, but not quite forward. Bass is less punchy than ZSN and a bit more boomy. Again the bass can, most of the time, buried the vocal, but less than the ZST. Both ZST and ZSR sounds way darker and warmer than ZSN. Build quality is good, but fit is not that good as my ear start hurting after using the ZSR for about one hour or so.
- the ZSN, again, has more forward and airy in mid/treble presentation with punchier and more detailed bass. For me, the ZSN is the clear winner.

-. ZS6 vs ZSN: - the ZS6 has the most airiness and widest soundstage from all four IEMs, but its drawback is it is very prone to sibilance. The bass on ZS6 is quite punchy, but has less body than ZSN. Although ZS6 has more forward mid presentation than ZST/ZSR, it is still a bit behind than the ZSN. Build quality and fit are good, although you can over the time "feel" that it want to fall off due to its weight.
- the ZSN has less airiness and soundstage than ZS6, but with more forward in mid presentation, it sounds more intimate than the ZS6.

It is easy to pick the winner between ZSN and ZST/ZSR, but it is very hard to pick between ZS6 and ZSN. If I were new to KZ addiction, I would definitely buy both ZSN and ZS6. Hope that helps.

Great impressions; very helpful!

BTW, what color ZSN do you have?

Since the purple ZSN sounds different (according to @1clearhead), it sounds like it may be helpful for ZSN owners to reference the color when posting. Otherwise, I can see where there could be some inaccuracies?

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #37,538 of 64,162
Great impressions; very helpful!

BTW, what color ZSN do you have?

Since the purple ZSN sounds different (according to @1clearhead), it sounds like it may be helpful for ZSN owners to reference the color when posting. Otherwise, I can see where there could be some inaccuracies?
The wires that comes with the purple/silver ZSN is the main key for the slight difference in sound signature making them one of the finest sounding KZ's ever! But, what I hope the KZ company understands is that it's fine to make color preference for choice of colors for any consumer, but altering the make of the wires to sound different from one another without even realizing it can make a difference in liking or disliking the earphone just purchased by any customer.
Thank goodness, we can always change the wires for better ones! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #37,539 of 64,162
Reporter from Portuguese television using an ATE.

IMG_20181101_132300.jpg

KZ taking over the world!

Nov 1, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #37,540 of 64,162
The reason I think the KZ ZSN is by far the best KZ has accomplished:

1) Housing:
Great authentic release and creative effort of a unique product that includes a metal screw on plate to an acrylic/resin housing (not cheap plastic) with a strong metal nozzle and filter.

2) Sound:
Great effort on making an IEM sound like a true full-size sounding headphone without any artificial sounding peaks, whether coming from the bass, MID's, or highs.

3) Cable/wires:
Decent wires for the price (only referring to the purple/silver ZSN package) for a pitch-perfect combination on giving the sound signature great extension, detail and balance.

4) Price:
To understand everything one is getting in this small package is absurd and hard to comprehend, but yet, it's really true!...so lets enjoy it!

Final thought: I have many IEM's, easily over a hundred plus, and this is the most impressive feat I've seen any company achieve in a "budget priced package" so far!

O1CN011w5IFxSftCxhLFs_!!2455086256.jpg

-Clear

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #37,541 of 64,162

1) Housing:
Great authentic release and creative effort of a unique product that includes a metal screw on plate to an acrylic/resin housing (not cheap plastic) with a strong metal nozzle and filter.

2) Sound:
Great effort on making an IEM sound like a true full-size sounding headphone without any artificial signature peaks, whether coming from the bass, MID's, or highs.

3) Cable/wires:
Decent wires for the price (only referring to the purple/silver ZSN package) for a pitch-perfect combination on giving the sound signature great extension, detail and balance.

4) Price:
To comprehend everything one is getting in this small package is absurd and hard to comprehend, but yet, it's really true!...so lets enjoy it!

Final thought: I have many IEM's, easily over a hundred plus, and this is the most impressive feat I've seen any company achieve in a "budget priced package" so far!

-Clear

At this point I can't wait to try it.

Little off topic. Which camera/lens did you use to take the photo?

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #37,543 of 64,162

1) Housing:

2) Sound:
Great effort on making an IEM sound like a true full-size sounding headphone without any artificial sounding peaks, whether coming from the bass, MID's, or highs.

3) Cable/wires:

4) Price:
To understand everything one is getting in this small package is absurd and hard to comprehend, but yet, it's really true!...so lets enjoy it!

-Clear

How does purple version differ in terms of sound ? Its probably the most attractive one.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #37,544 of 64,162
How does purple version differ in terms of sound ? Its probably the most attractive one.
Several pages back, I mentioned that the purple/silver version sounds different due to the wires that come with this specific package, which it's slightly thicker and lighter in color. The Cyan and black ZSN comes with a cheaper braided dark brown wire that, to me personally, does not bring out the best out of the ZSN.

Nov 1, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #37,545 of 64,162
I actually like all my iem's and for their own special differences, as far as the giveaway's I have given decent stuff to close friends. Let one of my best buds have a loaded Benjie S5 to drive the Shock Wave III's I also gave him and of course he's in heaven now and as far as my sons the younger has better taste and cares a wee bit more for his things than my older one who went through 3 pairs of TA Techne's with cable damage from wadding and the like but let me also say I've never seen an iem go through the wash cycle as many times as they did and still worked like a charm after each cleaning:astonished: Crazy thing now is he tells me his current is his favorite behind the Techne's which are his (my old) black ED9's! (Man I could have saved a ton on Techne's and still had my original pair:cry:

@1clearhead you really have me wanting my ZSN's now and the nail has been hit on the proverbial head with the analogy of KZ and the ED-12 really being the only glitch in progression but IMHO KZ has had an excellent model plan from the beginning since we all keep buying and they keep upping their R&D bucket which so far I'm OK with. As a business model I'd rather be taking in monies with mass produced and mass sold good than having a company that just puts out high dollar goods with much slower sales:wink: Who know's maybe one day KZ will be like Nissan, Toyota and Honda and have their own Premium brand like Infinity, Lexus and Acura:thinking: For sure they have made leaps and bounds from what separates these car brands and that is fit, finish and overall refinement:grin:

I'm sure those who totally detest KZ borrowing designs from the over priced (obviously, send in the snobs) as I know some of these higher priced brands sound better but as a point of diminishing returns the price difference I personally can't justify but those with big wallets and usually bigger ego's pls carry on:rolling_eyes: When you start going over $350 for iem's or $500 for ciem's you are just loading money onto the name. I say this because once again IMPO lowly KZ has got the same type build quality down and are rapidly approaching the SQ as well. Now with all that said I'm also sure everyone noticed I did not put my little rant in a CA or Noble thread:laughing: Funny thing is these people with the money to buy the higher priced brands buy in them just like I do in budget and you know it's an elusive quest to reach nirvana:scream: Probably why I like and enjoy all my iem's (well just about all, guess I'll even omit Dolphin's, HDS2, ED-12's and TA PM4's), still not as disappointing as spending >$500 and being disappointed:rolling_eyes: OK, time to get off my:deadhorse::v:

IMO this right here is a top notch rig for less than $250.00, not to mention we audio enthusiast don't even make up 1% of this old world's vast population!

Top 2,3-6.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back