Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #37,516 of 63,998
Yup, I did the same when I first started out.

The problem is now years later, I have a mountain of gear, only 2 ears, and I now know exactly what I like and what I don’t.

I could easily get rid of 75% of my collection, and not miss it (other than from a nostalgia/collectibility standpoint).

This is exactly where I'm at with my collection. The last few years I accumulated a ton of gear trying to figure out what I wanted. Now I know what I want and have a bunch of stuff to move on down the line. Only problem is everything I want after RMAF is stupid expensive.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #37,517 of 63,998
That's what stops me from getting rid of a lot of it. I have given away a ton over the years, but the stuff I have left I still like to pull out and use every once in a while. Mind you, I don't give away any of the good products anymore. Normal people treat their headphones like crap and it hurts when they come back after a week saying they lost them or broke them, lol. Or if I give someone something and a couple weeks later they say they're looking for a new headphone. "What happened to the pair I just gave you?" "You gave me some headphones? I don't know what happened to them." DERP. *facepalm* I've gotten picky about what I give away, and to whom. If they're not going to appreciate it, they get nothing or something crappy cause they're going to ruin it anyway...

That is a heartbreaking story :frowning2:

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #37,518 of 63,998
You gonna find the treble rolled off compared with the zs 456t, but then you'll see it's there but much more balanced. You gonna like the punchiness of the bass. You gonna like they are lighter than zs6. And more comfy.

You are absolutely correct in every aspect. After a year my ears got kind of used to the treble of the ZS6 and I'm missing them in a certain way. The bass is better, way punchier (in a good way). Comfortwise they are one of the best I tried even though the plastic feels flimsy.

Sound stage is wider, comparable to the one of my sr850, great separation.

Will update my review as the time passes.

Now, I'll wait for the zsn, zsr, and t2 to arrive ..

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #37,519 of 63,998
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #37,520 of 63,998
That's what stops me from getting rid of a lot of it. I have given away a ton over the years, but the stuff I have left I still like to pull out and use every once in a while. Mind you, I don't give away any of the good products anymore. Normal people treat their headphones like crap and it hurts when they come back after a week saying they lost them or broke them, lol. Or if I give someone something and a couple weeks later they say they're looking for a new headphone. "What happened to the pair I just gave you?" "You gave me some headphones? I don't know what happened to them." DERP. *facepalm* I've gotten picky about what I give away, and to whom. If they're not going to appreciate it, they get nothing or something crappy cause they're going to ruin it anyway...

Agreed.

I have given a few decent IEMs to my teenager (along with a nice case), and I find them balled up in her pocket, or in the clothes washer, or smashed in the bottom of her book bag, cord ripped out of the shell, etc.

So she gets $0.50 junkers from Gearbest until she’s a little more responsible.

She does a little better with headphones though, and wants Bluetooth only. She will get better ones when her current Bluedios die. They are built like tanks, so who knows when they will die. They’ve been going strong for ~2 years of daily use now.

I did retune them to be more balanced before I gave them to her, so she has better sound and doesn’t know it.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #37,521 of 63,998
Agreed.

I have given a few decent IEMs to my teenager (along with a nice case), and I find them balled up in her pocket, or in the clothes washer, or smashed in the bottom of her book bag, cord ripped out of the shell, etc.

She does a little better with headphones though, and wants Bluetooth only. She will get better ones when her current Bluedios die. They are built like tanks, so who knows when they will die. They’ve been going strong for ~2 years of daily use now.

I did retune them to be more balanced before I gave them to her, so she has better sound and doesn’t know it.
I gave my LZ A2S to my sisters daughter... not long later - they were broken (probably cable ripped off from driver). They were not cheapest -.-

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #37,522 of 63,998
I only ever gave my IEMs to people whom I trust (my nephew, wife and church band members). Not many people appreciate headphone or IEM in general, they think it is just another accessory or tool. I just gave out my Audio Technica IM 70 to my church drummer.

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #37,525 of 63,998
I am thinking of giving my newphew a KZ ZS3 or ZST with KZ aptx bluetooth cable.

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #37,526 of 63,998
Hi, could someone compare ZSN to ED16? From KZ I only have the ED16 which I like, except for the treble which I find too agressive for me.
Is ZSN´s treble smoother and more polite than ED16? Or should I look for something like AS10? thanks
It is smoother than ZS6 for sure.

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #37,527 of 63,998
I’ve been thinking of limiting myself to 1 nice headphone and 1 nice IEM per year. All of the $20 heres and $45 theres start to add up.

I figure it will keep me from getting distracted by the “flavor of the month” gear. It should also give plenty of time to sort through the impressions once the new toy syndrome wears off, for numerous reviews to come in, and for prices/discounts to stabilize.

My collection would be smaller and grow slower, but in theory would be comprised of better gear (ie less is more).

Just thinking out loud...

This is a much better strategy. It's hard, I know for sure. I've been downsizing and selling or giving away my IEMs/Buds/Cheaper headphones and am way more content with a small collection of higher quality headphones and IEMs. I get a lot better listening experience and don't have to worry about which one to bring with me or listen to. Most of the cheaper stuff I end up getting ends up being given away to someone or sold off anyway, and I still end up keeping my better gear, which brings more overall satisfaction to me.

But, of course, curiosity wins occasionally -- so my collection fluctuates greatly from too many to very little and it's cyclic. Right now I have a smaller collection and I like it. But all this new stuff is sooooooo tempting. Especially the new budget planar IEMs, and those andro-s, and the elegia, and that upcoming ZS7, and.... and... and..

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #37,528 of 63,998
VE Monks make a good disposable giveaway earphone. They come in cute little baggies, too, so you can just keep a bunch in your bag to hand out.

My go to HeadFi drug dealer handout is the KZ EDR1 haha

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #37,529 of 63,998
Agreed.

At this point the only people who get my audiophile handmedowns are my other couple audiophile buddies who can't quite afford to throw cash at the hobby. They usually take as good care of the gear as I did.

AS A SIDE NOTE

Anybody have any idea why the ZSN is coming so soon on the heels of the ES4/ZSA? How many dual-driver hybrids does the brand need?

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #37,530 of 63,998
At this point the only people who get my audiophile handmedowns are my other couple audiophile buddies who can't quite afford to throw cash at the hobby. They usually take as good care of the gear as I did.

AS A SIDE NOTE

Anybody have any idea why the ZSN is coming so soon on the heels of the ES4/ZSA? How many dual-driver hybrids does the brand need?
Different tuning and driver maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back