Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 30, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #37,471 of 63,893
Did they mention if it would oxidize and turn green like the rest of their clear sheath SP cables? I'd rather just put a black SP cable on my black face ZSN's. do they also offer it in black?
True, we all have to be careful. :disappointed_relieved:
My Tinaudio T2 turned on me (green :confounded:) a while back and I ended up purchasing a dark/gray colored cable for this model. So far, I haven't seen them offer the ZSN cables in black.

-Clear

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #37,472 of 63,893
Price adjusting on the zsn does work.
IMG_20181031_073749.jpg

Oct 30, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #37,473 of 63,893
True, we all have to be careful. :disappointed_relieved:
My Tinaudio T2 turned on me (green :confounded:) a while back and I ended up purchasing a dark/gray colored cable for this model. So far, I haven't seen them offer the ZSN cables in black.

-Clear

BTW, I am working on a permanent solution to the 'green cable' problem. Stay tuned...

Oct 30, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #37,475 of 63,893
Oct 30, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #37,477 of 63,893
BTW, I am working on a permanent solution to the 'green cable' problem. Stay tuned...

The answer to this is to avoid all UV and oxygen, or to wrap it with new tubing

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #37,478 of 63,893
Oct 31, 2018 at 1:46 AM Post #37,479 of 63,893
Good thing I live in outer space. New tubing sounds too difficult

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #37,480 of 63,893
I think the pins on the TRN are the same. I think they list 0.75 and 0.78 to sell upgrade cables to the KZ folks that need 0.75 and to the other folks who have 0.78 IEMs (more of the industry standard size). Just pick one and go for it. They are basically interchangeable.

As far as the ZS4, it is definitely better than the ZS3.

As far as having better sound than the ZSR, that’s kinda a toss up. The ZSR has better midrange. But it fits bulky and has a huge nozzle. The ZS4 definitely fits better (for most people). And IMO ZS4 has better bass and better isolation, but at the expense of the soundstage. I like the ZSRs soundstage.

If I had to rank them, given not just the sound but also the value/price ratio and fit, I would go:

1. ZS4
2. ZSR
3. ZS3

But 1 vs 2 is very close; almost a tie. The ZS4 would edge out the ZSR due to the better price, better fit, and more isolation. But ZS4 is more v-shaped than ZSR, so if you want a more shallow v-shape stick with the ZSR.

I don’t have the ZSN yet, so it’s possible it’s better than all 3.

KZ has so many models now, that many of them are just side grades. They all have good build quality, good fit, good accessories, and better than average sound. However, most KZs sound similar with minor nuanced differences between them.

A lot of it is splitting hairs. Like the difference between a vanilla cake with dark chocolate frosting vs a vanilla cake with milk chocolate frosting. Sure, the cakes are different, but not really that different.

I’m sure there’s a “big difference” between the EDR1 and the AS10, but it’s 20xs the price. But there’s not a “big enough difference” between the ZS5 v2 vs ZS6, the ZS4 vs ZSR, the EDR1 vs EDSE, ATE vs ATR, etc.

Bottom line, is if you have the ZSR, and you’re perfectly happy with it and there’s nothing wrong with it (sound, fitment, it’s not flaking out, etc), I’d pass on the ZS4. Maybe instead spend the same $12 you would have spent on the ZS4, and put it towards a Bluetooth cable, or a wired upgrade cable, some better tips, a couple of nice carry cases, etc.

Thanks for the details
That's the thing, the ZSR sound very good but they don't fit in my ears, I bought them for sports but they will pop out without even an effort, the ZS3 in opposite are perfectly fit though a bit annoying after an hour or so.
I am just worried about the ZS4 ''semi'' memory wire cable, I love my ZS3 because of its perfect memory wire that won't let the iem move 1mm

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #37,481 of 63,893

You are correct - that would prevent it from turning green in the 1st place. Once it's already green, there is obviously no undoing the oxidation. I'm working on a way to address the problem another way (that does not involve wrapping it).

Oct 31, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #37,482 of 63,893
Thanks for the details
That's the thing, the ZSR sound very good but they don't fit in my ears, I bought them for sports but they will pop out without even an effort, the ZS3 in opposite are perfectly fit though a bit annoying after an hour or so.
I am just worried about the ZS4 ''semi'' memory wire cable, I love my ZS3 because of its perfect memory wire that won't let the iem move 1mm

The good news is the ZS4 metal memory wire is the same type as your ZS3. The cable itself is different (braided vs non-braided), but the memory wire is the same.

The TRN and KZ ZSN cables are the different style - they have a pre-formed rubbery ear guide instead of a moldable wire.

And since you explained why you can't use the ZSR (fit issues), then yes I would get a ZS4 as it would be a nice upgrade over your ZS3. Same fit you know and love - just better sound and better cable.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #37,483 of 63,893

Well I'm all eyes! My initial solution was to use a much better silver cable off another iem (Mee PX) balanced as well but finally ended up with this sweet Tommy Two-Toner:wink:

T2 Nutz.JPG

Tin 100.JPG

Also wanted to put my $.02 in on the Brass Filter on ZSN, looks very much brass to me ala ED9's of old:thinking: The one thing I do love about brass if there is any ringing in the SS it pretty much eliminates it:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back