Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #37,456 of 63,961
Oct 30, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #37,457 of 63,961
It really depends on what you like out of the ZS3 and what else do you desire out of the sound.
If you desire loads of detail with pretty good extension in the treble and bass thumping energy and a nice airy sound stage, the ZS6 is a good update.
But it has its issues for some people.

- Its fit can be an issue for some people compared to the ZS3.
- Isolation isn't as good.
- Its treble can be too hot for many people.
- In many processed vocal tracks, sibilance can be a major nuisance as its pretty prominent on the ZS6 compared to the ZS3.

The ZS6 is very good stuff like instrumental based music and maybe to some extent techno music ( if you can live with the treble that is.)

If you cannot live with more than 1 of the issues above, I would suggest the AS10. It basically has everything the ZS6 has without the issues. The only drawback I can think of which is subjective is the sound stage. The ZS6 does sound that bit more open comparatively. "Airier" , though I cannót honest suggest it to be " wider", its subjective based on how your ears hear them.

If you prefer something that has a much more "polite" treble, I would say the ZS10.

But it does have its issues too.

- Its harder to drive in that you need to crank up the volume a fair bit for it to sound the same as most other KZ's in terms of output volume.
- Its bulbous and short tubed, so fit may be an issue for some people and harder to keep in place and maintain a good seal as a result.
- Its sound isolation is pretty poor due to fit issues for me.

LoL ... if you like the looks of those, then perhaps you can take a look at the PHB-EM023

HTB1UL9RlDqWBKNjSZFxq6ApLpXa6.jpg

Now who's copying who!

I hear you bad religion, I've made three carts and culled them twice now! When I pull the trigger on 11/11 my $145.00 cart will only cost me $98 for 4 iem's and a nice ic:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #37,458 of 63,961
Its hard to tell from the photos but to me it looks like one is a dark brown sheath and the only is transparent clear. I dont think that is really proof that they are different coppers. Copper can also quickly oxidize and turn brown on the outside versus the shiny metallic color. This only affects the outer surface and not the inherent material underneath. Heat treat can also affect color change. Now, from a scientific point of view, I dont know if bulk resistance or surface resistance affects electrical transmission more for analog audio.

Oct 30, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #37,459 of 63,961
Is it gonna be a fully wireless iem or cable like attachment of some sort? Either way if they pull it off it will be pretty impressive

Fully wireless.

Each piece sits behind the ears, like a hearing aid. There’s a photo floating around here if you search for it.

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #37,460 of 63,961
Thanks @Slater
I should pick the 0.75 or 0.78 pins?
Should I get the ZS4 if I have both ZS3 and ZSR, I mean do they give an extra SQ?

I think the pins on the TRN are the same. I think they list 0.75 and 0.78 to sell upgrade cables to the KZ folks that need 0.75 and to the other folks who have 0.78 IEMs (more of the industry standard size). Just pick one and go for it. They are basically interchangeable.

As far as the ZS4, it is definitely better than the ZS3.

As far as having better sound than the ZSR, that’s kinda a toss up. The ZSR has better midrange. But it fits bulky and has a huge nozzle. The ZS4 definitely fits better (for most people). And IMO ZS4 has better bass and better isolation, but at the expense of the soundstage. I like the ZSRs soundstage.

If I had to rank them, given not just the sound but also the value/price ratio and fit, I would go:

1. ZS4
2. ZSR
3. ZS3

But 1 vs 2 is very close; almost a tie. The ZS4 would edge out the ZSR due to the better price, better fit, and more isolation. But ZS4 is more v-shaped than ZSR, so if you want a more shallow v-shape stick with the ZSR.

I don’t have the ZSN yet, so it’s possible it’s better than all 3.

KZ has so many models now, that many of them are just side grades. They all have good build quality, good fit, good accessories, and better than average sound. However, most KZs sound similar with minor nuanced differences between them.

A lot of it is splitting hairs. Like the difference between a vanilla cake with dark chocolate frosting vs a vanilla cake with milk chocolate frosting. Sure, the cakes are different, but not really that different.

I’m sure there’s a “big difference” between the EDR1 and the AS10, but it’s 20xs the price. But there’s not a “big enough difference” between the ZS5 v2 vs ZS6, the ZS4 vs ZSR, the EDR1 vs EDSE, ATE vs ATR, etc.

Bottom line, is if you have the ZSR, and you’re perfectly happy with it and there’s nothing wrong with it (sound, fitment, it’s not flaking out, etc), I’d pass on the ZS4. Maybe instead spend the same $12 you would have spent on the ZS4, and put it towards a Bluetooth cable, or a wired upgrade cable, some better tips, a couple of nice carry cases, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #37,461 of 63,961
Oh I really don’t think oxidation causes much degradation in SQ but it totally messes with my visual senses something fierce:scream: I really loved that Tri-Braid cable and it looked so good on most of my KZ’s until they tarned! Gave all of them away:rolling_eyes:

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #37,462 of 63,961
Or a vanilla cake with dark chocolate frosting vs a vanilla cake with milk chocolate frosting. Sure, the cakes are different, but not really that different.

Disagree! LOL. But I would choose caramel...

Maybe iems are like a box of chocolates...

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #37,464 of 63,961
In the official images the cables are visibly of a different colour, but the nozzles look as if they're from a different material too. I wonder if this could be a factor.

kz_zsn_1538144138_9fdb33ff.jpg

One of the ads I saw listed the purple ones nozzle as aluminum and the black/green ones as copper.

Unfortunately, “copper” can be mislabeled. It could just be copper colored (as in gold anozided aluminum), not copper metal.

Oct 30, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #37,465 of 63,961
I just ordered the purple/silver zsn for $20.99. Thank God its not $99+.

Yikes, I just paid $14.95 for purple/silver. Where did you order it from out of curiosity?

That $6 could get 6 TRN carry cases, or a set of Spinfits and a TRN carry case, or even an upgrade cable :frowning2:

Although it is only a couple of bucks at the end of the day haha

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #37,466 of 63,961
Disagree! LOL. But I would choose caramel...

Maybe iems are like a box of chocolates...

I know. You know what I’m saying. Yes, the 2 cakes are technically different, but here’s 2 cakes that ARE truly different (enough to justify a 5x price difference and huge taste difference):

1. Single layer vanilla cake from a boxed pre-made mix (w/artificially flavored vanilla), with grocery store dark chocolate frosting from a jar (also artificially flavored).

2. Triple layer carrot cake (made from scratch), with real cream cheese frosting (also from scratch) and 24k gold leaf decoration.

See what I mean? #2 yummy!!

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #37,467 of 63,961
I know. You know what I’m saying. Yes, the 2 cakes are technically different, but here’s 2 cakes that ARE truly different (enough to justify a 5x price difference and huge taste difference):

1. Single layer vanilla cake from a boxed mix (artificially flavored vanilla), with grocery store dark chocolate frosting from a jar (also artificially flavored).

2. Triple layer carrot cake (made from scratch), with real cream cheese frosting and 24k gold leaf decoration.

See what I mean?

Of course... I was just messing with you. But it is true that I am sensitive to small differences... not just large ones. But I would not want that first cake anywhere near me... gross!

By the way you can leave off the 24k gold leaf decoration. I will take some gold on the side:) I have made that carrot cake many times (minus the gold)

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #37,469 of 63,961
Fron my experience, the zs line up shared similar sound signature (v-shaped). I can tell there is a definite upgrade from zs3 (1 dd) to zst (1dd +1ba) to zsr (2ba +1dd).

Oct 30, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #37,470 of 63,961
Yikes, I just paid $14.95 for purple/silver. Where did you order it from out of curiosity?

That $6 could get 6 TRN carry cases, or a set of Spinfits and a TRN carry case, or even an upgrade cable :frowning2:

Although it is only a couple of bucks at the end of the day haha
I ordered thru amazon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back