Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 2, 2018 at 6:50 AM Post #35,206 of 63,919
The ES4 is crap for things like Parkway Drive. Bands like Trivium, As I Lay Dying or anything remotely complex get congested really fast and have no details. I've said this before, but people kept praising them saying how awesome they are, so I got a second pair thinking maybe I got a defective one. It's the same thing. They might sound OK with a slow fiddle lullaby but trow anything more complex at them and they're mediocre at best.
So many mentions of the ZS3 lately, one of KZ's weakest products. The Slater mod is a big upgrade, but hardly saves it.

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #35,207 of 63,919
Nowadays would u still recommend buying a KZ ZS5 v2?
How does it compare with the newest kz line?

Aug 2, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #35,208 of 63,919
Well I'm fairly new to Chi-fi but have experience in premium IEM's. Lately I've been looking for an IEM with a fun sound which I can use in workout, beach or when going to sleep and which I can substitute for my Campfire Andromeda.

I went with ED16 and I was positively shocked. Great bass with enough rumble and speed, allright mids, but a little piercing highs which can be attenuated with foam tips! Soundstage is OK, detail retrieval and resolution is amazing for the price. I'm really loving them and when I use them, I don't miss my Andromeda "too much". Obviously it would be unfair to compare those.

Anyway, I liked them so much that I'm contemplating on ordering a spare pair. Or should I go for ES4 as well for variety? From what I read, their highs are not as piercing with more forward mids and bass.

I'm looking for a sound with more bass and mids, and less highs than ED16. Although ED16 is very good, ES4 sounds like something I might like as well. So I would appreciate any comments comparing ES4 vs ED16. Thanks in advance

Aug 2, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #35,209 of 63,919
Well I'm fairly new to Chi-fi but have experience in premium IEM's. Lately I've been looking for an IEM with a fun sound which I can use in workout, beach or when going to sleep and which I can substitute for my Campfire Andromeda.

I went with ED16 and I was positively shocked. Great bass with enough rumble and speed, allright mids, but a little piercing highs which can be attenuated with foam tips! Soundstage is OK, detail retrieval and resolution is amazing for the price. I'm really loving them and when I use them, I don't miss my Andromeda "too much". Obviously it would be unfair to compare those.

Anyway, I liked them so much that I'm contemplating on ordering a spare pair. Or should I go for ES4 as well for variety? From what I read, their highs are not as piercing with more forward mids and bass.

I'm looking for a sound with more bass and mids, and less highs than ED16. Although ED16 is very good, ES4 sounds like something I might like as well. So I would appreciate any comments comparing ES4 vs ED16. Thanks in advance

ZSR is what I would recommend.

Read reviews here:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kz-zsr.22905/reviews

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #35,210 of 63,919

i agree with slater that the zsr is vg, but it's signature is basically the same as the ed16--for knocking about or sleeping, i'd get the hds3, which will cost you a grand total of $7 or so--it's a tiny form with a fun sound

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #35,211 of 63,919

In all fairness, I am not surprised that the highs were a bit forward compared to the Andromeda as Ken (Campfire) leans heavily toward a more laid back signature that avoids sibilance at all costs. Comparatively, almost everything else is treble forward when a Campfire product is your reference point.

Aug 2, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #35,212 of 63,919
In all fairness, I am not surprised that the highs were a bit forward compared to the Andromeda as Ken (Campfire) leans heavily toward a more laid back signature that avoids sibilance at all costs. Comparatively, almost everything else is treble forward when a Campfire product is your reference point.

Actually I'm looking for something like a cheapo Vega or Atlas with a fun sound, as opposed to an Andro.

One of Andro's stronger points is their tasteful highs which I adore. As you see normally I love highs but KZ's are too piercing so I'm after a "tamed KZ treble". Foam tips definitely help with ED16 but the highs still sound too artificial compared to its well-tuned bass and midrange. So I thought maybe ES4 (more B and M, less T) is what I'm looking for and asked for comments comparing ED16 vs ES4.

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #35,213 of 63,919
You will be very pleased with ES4. Buy Spiral dots or Spinfits tips (these works best with ES4... IMO) and you will be surprised how good they can be... Of course for the price point. They definitely can not match your Andromedas

Aug 2, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #35,215 of 63,919
So many mentions of the ZS3 lately, one of KZ's weakest products. The Slater mod is a big upgrade, but hardly saves it.

What?!? The ZS3 is a solid performing IEM. It is single handedly one of the most ergonomic and passive noise cancelling IEMS that KZ makes. The ZS3's shells are the perfect shells for my ears. It's like a ear plug and iem at the same time.

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #35,216 of 63,919
What?!? The ZS3 is a solid performing IEM. It is single handedly one of the most ergonomic and passive noise cancelling IEMS that KZ makes. The ZS3's shells are the perfect shells for my ears. It's like a ear plug and iem at the same time.
I completely agree with this, but what I've come to observe about the ZS3's shell and fitting is that it's very much a case of hit or miss, You either love it or really hate it, there's hardly any in betweens, depending on the shape of your ears and canals. For me, it was a perfect marriage. Others, not so much. And sound wise, I find them to be really really good, with very decent bass with nothing too harsh in the high regions. I did the slater mod, it did improve detail and clarity, by a lot too, but I had to revert back to default. I just couldn't accept the little amount of bass sacrificed, not that it was that obvious or anything, No, I think it was partly psychological. The thought that I was shortchanging myself a little bit in the bass department, but then again you could say I was shortchanging myself in terms of clarity by reverting back but priorities, priorities, priorities

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #35,217 of 63,919
i agree with slater that the zsr is vg, but it's signature is basically the same as the ed16--for knocking about or sleeping, i'd get the hds3, which will cost you a grand total of $7 or so--it's a tiny form with a fun sound

Ah, gotcha. I've never heard the ED16.

I do love me some HDS3 though :)

Aug 2, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #35,218 of 63,919
Actually I'm looking for something like a cheapo Vega or Atlas with a fun sound, as opposed to an Andro.

One of Andro's stronger points is their tasteful highs which I adore. As you see normally I love highs but KZ's are too piercing so I'm after a "tamed KZ treble". Foam tips definitely help with ED16 but the highs still sound too artificial compared to its well-tuned bass and midrange. So I thought maybe ES4 (more B and M, less T) is what I'm looking for and asked for comments comparing ED16 vs ES4.

ED16 is more detailed but ES4 is going to come closer to the treble you are looking for. ES4 is probably split the difference between the Andro and ED16 in treble response. If the ED16 is too hot for your liking, I'd avoid the Zs6 and ZsR as I think you will find them piercing. The other option that might be worth giving a shot is the Zs10. More detail than ES4 or ED16 and not a particularly hot treble either.

Aug 2, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #35,219 of 63,919
Got the new KZ cable and been listening for the last 3-4 hours with ZS5 V1. pretty good, was expecting to hear something wrong but nope. everything sounds fine and the volume is VERY high. sounds like there is an amplifier to be honest.

aptx works - checked with the note 8 and a thinkpad laptop. range is ok, but if you get far away, the signal from the phone is lost. the laptop seems to have more signal strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back