Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 22, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #34,037 of 63,915
Sorry, lack of context. I meant a 3rd tip option to my current 2: Spiral Dot and Starline. Because at the present one of those is almost always the best option for me.

Ah, gotcha.

Well, I swear by Auvio Wide Bores. They have the same streamlined shape and size as Starlines, but are wide bores for better sound on many IEMs.

Most wide bore tips (ie KZ and Tennmak Turbo/Whirlwind) are very short and wide (like the cap of a mushroom). But they don’t work on most IEMs because they require a large nozzle and they are short so it causes a shallow insertion. They’re also not the most comfortable tip.

The Auvios on the other hand, have the same core size as a Starline (either 3 or 4mm), and they are just as long, so you can get a nice deep insertion similar to Starlines. But unlike the Starlines, they are wide bore so you typically get a more spacious and open sound, a bit more midrange and treble sparkle, etc.

Starlines are great for concentrating sub bass like a cannon, but I am finding I use Auvios more and more (and Starlines less less).

They are basically the closest thing to Spiral Dots, without the spiral dot price raping. I only regret not knowing about them years ago (especially now that they’ve been discontinued and are dirt cheap). Luckily I am all stocked up now :)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #34,038 of 63,915
Don't want to start a riot over fr graph relevancy visavis actual performance but you're like reading from the picture curve point by point.

Well, sometimes for some ears it matches perfectly, in your case for the worst.

I'm sorry for that, I hope you'll find a fix for them, good luck pal.

Thanks bud. I appreciate it.

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #34,039 of 63,915
It is... so is my "black"

The first picture is the ES4 and the ED16 together showing the shape difference...taken before I changed the cable.

I just now took the second photo to show it with the cable change.

That's really helpful, thank you so much for the pictures.
Yeah the 16 look much more ergonomic
Not to mention cooler.
Well that's settled it. I'll go for them.

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #34,040 of 63,915
Ah, gotcha.

Well, I swear by Auvio Wide Bores. They have the same streamlined shape and size as Starlines, but are wide bores for better sound on many IEMs.

Most wide bore tips (ie KZ and Tennmak Turbo/Whirlwind) are very short and wide (like the cap of a mushroom). But they don’t work on most IEMs because they require a large nozzle and they are short so it causes a shallow insertion. They’re also not the most comfortable tip.

The Auvios on the other hand, have the same core size as a Starline (either 3 or 4mm), and they are just as long, so you can get a nice deep insertion similar to Starlines. But unlike the Starlines, they are wide bore so you typically get a more spacious and open sound, a bit more midrange and treble sparkle, etc.

Starlines are great for concentrating sub bass like a cannon, but I am finding I use Auvios more and more (and Starlines less less).

They are basically the closest thing to Spiral Dots, without the spiral dot price raping. I only regret not knowing about them years ago (especially now that they’ve been discontinued and are dirt cheap). Luckily I am all stocked up now :)
How is the texture of the silicone? Have you actually compared them with Spiral Dots? I've tried other tips that look similar but didn't work nearly as well. For example, I got tips with my T2 that look very much like that but they gave me a terrible seal, while the Spiral Dots give the best seal of any silicone I've tried. The Auvios are on sale at Radio Shack right now but there's a $5 shipping charge. Trying to decide if I should just buy a bunch.

Somewhat off topic but something I like to do to test the level of isolation offered by and eartip is to gently tap the tips my index finger and thumb together next to my ear and see how well I hear that, along with how much of the low/high frequencies the tip filters out.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #34,041 of 63,915
How is the texture of the silicone? Have you actually compared them with Spiral Dots? I've tried other tips that look similar but didn't work nearly as well. For example, I got tips with my T2 that look very much like that but they gave me a terrible seal, while the Spiral Dots give the best seal of any silicone I've tried. The Auvios are on sale at Radio Shack right now but there's a $5 shipping charge. Trying to decide if I should just buy a bunch.

Somewhat off topic but something I like to do to test the level of isolation offered by and eartip is to gently tap the tips my index finger and thumb together next to my ear and see how well I hear that, along with how much of the low/high frequencies the tip filters out.

I buy a bunch to get the free shipping. There's also a 15% coupon code you can use at checkout (RADIO15).

Since you only wear L, you can benefit from the 3 L pairs/$1 pack! I use M, so I have to get the SML pack for $1.50 because they are long sold out of the 3 M pairs/$1.

As far as the Auvio texture, it's smooth but the silicone is a bit grippy.

Starlines have a very faint "grainy" texture that enhances grip, which is one of their strongest features.

I haven't owned Spiral Dots in a long time, so I don't remember the exact texture of them.

If you want to try Auvios out before committing to a big order, PM me and we can discuss.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #34,042 of 63,915
I buy a bunch to get the free shipping. There's also a 15% coupon code you can use at checkout (RADIO15).

Since you only wear L, you can benefit from the 3 L pairs/$1 pack! I use M, so I have to get the SML pack for $1.50 because they are long sold out of the 3 M pairs/$1.

As far as the Auvio texture, it's smooth but the silicone is a bit grippy.

Starlines have a very faint "grainy" texture that enhances grip, which is one of their strongest features.

I haven't owned Spiral Dots in a long time, so I don't remember the exact texture of them.

If you want to try Auvios out before committing to a big order, PM me and we can discuss.
I don't know what it is and I hate to sound like a fanboy but it's like there's something magical about the Spiral Dots. I've tried so many large silicone tips to varying degrees of comfort. At least for my ears, I've always found that others are either too soft, flimsy, stiff, narrow, short, long, poorly sealing. I realize we're talking about 6 overpriced pieces of silicone for $10-15, and I probably spent more time thinking over their original purchase than that money is worth to me, but I was really happy I eventually ordered them. I can't find anything else that checks off all the right boxes the same way.

I guess I could just buy the Auvios. Also I appreciate the offer but I don't care to trouble someone just to save me a few bucks. They're also on Amazon at $3 for a single pack from a third-party seller, unless you think I should worry about fakes.

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #34,043 of 63,915
I don't know what it is and I hate to sound like a fanboy but it's like there's something magical about the Spiral Dots. I've tried so many large silicone tips to varying degrees of comfort. At least for my ears, I've always found that others are either too soft, flimsy, stiff, narrow, short, long, poorly sealing. I realize we're talking about 6 overpriced pieces of silicone for $10-15, and I probably spent more time thinking over their original purchase than that money is worth to me, but I was really happy I eventually ordered them. I can't find anything else that checks off all the right boxes the same way.

I guess I could just buy the Auvios. Also I appreciate the offer but I don't care to trouble someone just to save me a few bucks. They're also on Amazon at $3 for a single pack from a third-party seller, unless you think I should worry about fakes.

Nah, there's no fake Auvios. Just people reselling them on ebay and Amazon.

I'd go for the $3 pack (unless you can find a better price on ebay).

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #34,044 of 63,915

Spiral Dot+ :)
(material and shape further evolved, natural fit, material closer characteristics to skin. At least that is how they tell it)

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #34,045 of 63,915
Hi, friends! You have a little enthusiast here :L3000:
EMIIIII.jpg

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #34,048 of 63,915
You can add the core-less ‘marshmallow foam’ tips inside of silicone tips. It stretches them out slightly and makes them fit large canals much better.

Hybrid tips are the best of both worlds - isolation and superior seal of foam and the longevity and hygienics of silicone.

Has anyone charted or tested "hybrid" (silicone with foam core) comparing SQ vs silicone? (ex starlines)

Jun 22, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #34,049 of 63,915

I love them too but so expensive. Same with sony hybrids. My main go to tips though are the double flange tips. Large bores, and super soft. The most comfy for me with spiral dots coming in second.
Have you ever tried the double flange tips?
IMG_20180622_132215.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back