Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 22, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #34,021 of 63,914
Perhaps I should have gone for the ed16 instead.

I have no way to know how they would fit you and if you would like them but, as I have said, I love mine. But I love a lot of my stuff...and I know this is the KZ thread but there ARE other choices as well.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #34,022 of 63,914
No problem, here you go (I forget who provided the photos): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...-reference-list.805930/page-714#post-14241145

They fit perfectly into LARGE Starline tips with no modifications at all, yet still remain soft. You can technically squish them into medium tips, but the foam gets compressed a lot which makes the tips hard. That's why I only suggest this method for large tips.

Also, here's a method to make your own out of disposable foam ear plugs (credit to hazuken for the photos): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...-reference-list.805930/page-714#post-14241038

The earplug method is more of a pain because you have to get the size just right (shaving the size and angle down with scissors just right), and you also have to make the hole the right size and perfectly centered. The marshmallow tips are already the perfect size and shape.
Those look like the KZ ATE foams or at least the supposed ATE foams that I bought on AliExpress, because I've never seen the ATE. I have a full set of those tips and was never able to do anything with them, since they don't stay on the nozzles of any of my IEMs because they're fairly soft and have no core.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #34,023 of 63,914
Those look like the KZ ATE foams or at least the supposed ATE foams that I bought on AliExpress, because I've never seen the ATE. I have a full set of those tips and was never able to do anything with them, since they don't stay on the nozzles of any of my IEMs because they're fairly soft and have no core.

I know they LOOK the same, but the KZ “gel foam” tips that come with the ATE (and are sold separately) are as hard as a rock. They may as well be made of wood or concrete. You definitely don’t want the KZ ones.

I refer to the ones I posted as “marshmallow” tips because they feel exactly like when you squish a marshmallow. Super soft, which is what you want.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #34,024 of 63,914
I have no way to know how they would fit you and if you would like them but, as I have said, I love mine. But I love a lot of my stuff...and I know this is the KZ thread but there ARE other choices as well.

Of course yes.
To be honest when I was looking at both I thought the ED16 shell resembled the ZS3 in many ways. Which incidentally is my favourite fitting of their's.
I only went for the 4 because I thought it would be the natural successor of the 3, and i was looking forward to that gorgeous treble. Plus it had a nicer cable.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #34,025 of 63,914
Of course yes.
To be honest when I was looking at both I thought the ED16 shell resembled the ZS3 in many ways. Which incidentally is my favourite fitting of their's.
I only went for the 4 because I thought it would be the natural successor of the 3, and i was looking forward to that gorgeous treble. Plus it had a nicer cable.

Cables are replaceable. It has been awhile since I tried the ZS3 but if I remember correctly the ED16 is much smaller. I actually found the ZS3 uncomfortable... something was pressing in the wrong spot for me. Gifted them to my husband....or traded for something. To my ears the ED16 has more treble and air than the ES4 but not at the expense of anything else. Very addictive sound. I will be using them later tonight. Like I said, I have the ES4 cable on my ED16 (actually taken from my husbands ZSA because he put on a different cable). The angled connector suits the ED16 just fine... in fact it gives me a more comfortable fit.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:28 PM Post #34,026 of 63,914
I know they LOOK the same, but the KZ “gel foam” tips that come with the ATE (and are sold separately) are as hard as a rock. They may as well be made of wood or concrete. You definitely don’t want the KZ ones.

I refer to the ones I posted as “marshmallow” tips because they feel exactly like when you squish a marshmallow. Super soft, which is what you want.
Just ordered them. It would be nice if I can add a third option that I find satisfying.

Jun 22, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #34,027 of 63,914
Cables are replaceable. It has been awhile since I tried the ZS3 but if I remember correctly the ED16 is much smaller. I actually found the ZS3 uncomfortable... something was pressing in the wrong spot for me. Gifted them to my husband....or traded for something. To my ears the ED16 has more treble and air than the ES4 but not at the expense of anything else. Very addictive sound. I will be using them later tonight. Like I said, I have the ES4 cable on my ED16 (actually taken from my husbands ZSA because he put on a different cable). The angled connector suits the ED16 just fine... in fact it gives me a more comfortable fit.

Sounds like the 16 are more like the successor I wanted. More treble and air hits the mark. Seems to my ears the 4 is a step backwards. I prefer the ED12 to them.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #34,028 of 63,914
Sounds like the 16 are more like the successor I wanted. More treble and air hits the mark. Seems to my ears the 4 is a step backwards

Many people are loving the ES4. I like it... I just like the ED16 more. I think I have a few other iems that already cover the ES4s strengths.

You could keep the ES4, buy the ED16, switch the cables and then gift the ES4 to a family member... most people do really like them and the cable that comes with the ED16 is tough

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #34,029 of 63,914
Many people are loving the ES4. I like it... I just like the ED16 more. I think I have a few other iems that already cover the ES4s strengths.

You could keep the ES4, buy the ED16, switch the cables and then gift the ES4 to a family member... most people do really like them and the cable that comes with the ED16 is tough.

Good idea but I don't have anyone to give them to and I can't see me warming to them.
Think I will definitely get the 16 though. The blue is nice.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #34,030 of 63,914
Just ordered them. It would be nice if I can add a third option that I find satisfying.

Not following you.

You mean a 3rd option about how to DIY your own hybrid ear tips?

Or a 3rd option for people with large ear canals?

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #34,031 of 63,914
What application are you using for your EQ for android? I want to try your settings

I use my IEMs only while mobile through my phone where I play Tidal hifi through Usb Audio Player Pro (UAPP) which has an integrated 10 bands eq as well as a parametric eq (I use the first one).

For an Android phone, if you don't have eq embedded in your player there's a generic 10 bands eq in the store (just search "10 bands equaliser"). Haven't tried it though.

Most 10 bands eq allow dialing on the same bands so you should just mimic mine.

I don't use eq on desktop yet.

Good luck.

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #34,033 of 63,914
I think there is info above 15khz...I have to boost 16kHz to a point where I hear a certain ring....

And it has been notified on hypersonic paper in Japan, that blind test showed that boosted high frequency is indeed noticeable.

But you have to boost it to audible level or drop other frequency. It does increase some info about sound. Well try on neutralizer and see yourself...it does make sound somewhat properly airy...

But regarding fundamental info and harmonic info, high frequency above 14kHz does not effect(it just effect the overall perceiving of sound)

Bass below 20Hz is felt rather than heard and something above 15kHz is also the same. You can feel the proper imaging.

Well for that you also need high bit rate and frequency file

So that when audio engineer and producer makes the sound of 20kHz and 17kHz at same level...you see a dip at
(20-17=3khz) but why don't we notice it....simple because the roll of treble can't make dB effect on 3kHz that much.(some iem maker boost 2kHz or 3kHz for that reason also).

But when high freq is in consideration...they add unwanted high freq tone data to music because then they can transfer the freq data to non audible region.

So let's take 40kHz played with 17kHz

40-17=23

Dip will occur on 23kHz...which will not effect our audible range.

So high res and other things are not bull****...its just that you need a higher data file with supported DAC to actually get full effect out of High red earphone.

Why I told to boost 16kHz, because it will boost all other frequency nearby it, getting the roll of range out 20kHz range somewhat and get you a good sound effect.

It may sound a little confusing but bare with it....

Ask me about this thing on PM if you want...

I don't wanna spoil this thread with science

LoL

I approach all of this more as a musician than scientist or technician, but it has always been my feeling that the harmonic structure of various instruments gives their sound distinctive characteristics or ring, even if the overtones themselves are beyond the range of human hearing.

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #34,034 of 63,914
Just came home to my Cyan Blue ES4 waiting for me about an hour ago and am listening to them at the moment.
Using large Starline tips I've got a pretty good seal and isolation is pretty good.
The brown cable is also nice with no microphonics whatsoever

Sound wise I was expecting a nice upgrade from my ES3. But these are nothing like them at all.
The bass is a wee bit muddled and murky, Not muddy though just a bit over the place.
Mids are very nasal at the moment, like someone is singing with a cold. Very upfront and in your face.....nearly matching my ED12 actually but more nasal and very congested.
My biggest complaint at the moment though is the quite wonderful dancing treble on my ES3 has gone and I'm hearing a very un detailed and lost top end.
Actually the detail retrieval is actually much worse in general throughout the sound.
So at the moment I'm a tad disappointed but I'm gonna give them the evening and see if they get any better.
But at the moment they are certainly not the upgrade from the 3 :confused:

Don't want to start a riot over fr graph relevancy visavis actual performance but you're like reading from the picture curve point by point.

Well, sometimes for some ears it matches perfectly, in your case for the worst.

I'm sorry for that, I hope you'll find a fix for them, good luck pal.

Jun 22, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #34,035 of 63,914
Good idea but I don't have anyone to give them to and I can't see me warming to them.
Think I will definitely get the 16 though. The blue is nice.

It is... so is my "black"

The first picture is the ES4 and the ED16 together showing the shape difference...taken before I changed the cable.

I just now took the second photo to show it with the cable change.

edited to clarify: That is a ZSA cable in my ED16 in the second photo. The ES4 cable with NOT fit the ZSA or an ED16. ES4 and ZS10 have the same cable. ZSA and ED16, while having a different angle to the connector will fit each other.

R0013420.JPG
R0013470.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back