Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 22, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #34,006 of 63,914
Do you mean hair gel? The word "spray" suggests aerosol to me... which I do not want in my air or in my lungs.

Maybe they call it something else in other countries. I’ve always heard it referred to as “hair spray”.

It’s a liquid in a spray bottle. It has a pump top, and it comes out in a fine mist when you push down on the little sprayer/spritzer. It’s used to fix your hair into a style. It’s mostly alcohol, with some trace ingredients that hold your hair style once the alcohol evaporates.

It looks like this:

B837A547-729D-4B4D-BAB6-02EA9E5A9C39.jpeg

For the eartip trick, you just unscrew the spray top and moisten the end of a qtip (ie cotton swab) in the hairspray liquid.

I don’t understand how it’s bad for the environment when it’s ok to spray on your hair.

Also, you don’t breathe it in any more than you breathe in other sprays such as the blue Windex glass cleaner (that also have a pump/spritz sprayer on top). Or the million other products people use with pump spray tops (cleaners, olive oil spritzers, etc).

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #34,007 of 63,914
Maybe they call it something else in other countries. I’ve always heard it referred to as “hair spray”.

It’s a liquid in a spray bottle. It has a pump top, and it comes out in a fine mist when you push down on the little sprayer/spritzer. It’s used to fix your hair into a style. It’s mostly alcohol, with some trace ingredients that hold your hair style once the alcohol evaporates.

It looks like this:

For the eartip trick, you just unscrew the spray top and moisten the end of a qtip (ie cotton swab) in the hairspray liquid.

I don’t understand how it’s bad for the environment when it’s ok to spray on your hair.

Also, you don’t breathe it in any more than you breathe in other sprays such as the blue Windex glass cleaner (that also have a pump/spritz sprayer on top). Or the million other products people use with pump spray tops (cleaners, olive oil spritzers, etc).

I was not thinking pump spray but I have to admit... I hate all of it. I am sensitive to chemical and perfume smells.

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #34,008 of 63,914
I was not thinking pump spray but I have to admit... I hate all of it. I am sensitive to chemical and perfume smells.

Sure, I can understand that.

I’m sure there’s probably other ways to keep the tips from falling off the ZS5 and ZS6 for those that are very sensitive to chemicals. I was just sharing 1 trick that works.

I know some people have also used glue to hold the tips on. But then again that’s chemicals too (and smell from the glue fumes).

I guess it depends on how big of a problem the tips falling off are for people. I personally have never had any problems with any tips falling off the ZS5 or ZS6.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #34,009 of 63,914
Sure, I can understand that.

I’m sure there’s probably other ways to keep the tips from falling off the ZS5 and ZS6 for those that are very sensitive to chemicals.

Mine have never fallen off. I don't have the ZS5 but I do have the ZS6 among others.

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #34,010 of 63,914
Just came home to my Cyan Blue ES4 waiting for me about an hour ago and am listening to them at the moment.
Using large Starline tips I've got a pretty good seal and isolation is pretty good.
The brown cable is also nice with no microphonics whatsoever

Sound wise I was expecting a nice upgrade from my ES3. But these are nothing like them at all.
The bass is a wee bit muddled and murky, Not muddy though just a bit over the place.
Mids are very nasal at the moment, like someone is singing with a cold. Very upfront and in your face.....nearly matching my ED12 actually but more nasal and very congested.
My biggest complaint at the moment though is the quite wonderful dancing treble on my ES3 has gone and I'm hearing a very un detailed and lost top end.
Actually the detail retrieval is actually much worse in general throughout the sound.
So at the moment I'm a tad disappointed but I'm gonna give them the evening and see if they get any better.
But at the moment they are certainly not the upgrade from the 3 :confused:

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #34,011 of 63,914
Just came home to my Cyan Blue ES4 waiting for me about an hour ago and am listening to them at the moment.
Using large Starline tips I've got a pretty good seal and isolation is pretty good.
The brown cable is also nice with no microphonics whatsoever

Sound wise I was expecting a nice upgrade from my ES3. But these are nothing like them at all.
The bass is a wee bit muddled and murky, Not muddy though just a bit over the place.
Mids are very nasal at the moment, like someone is singing with a cold. Very upfront and in your face.....nearly matching my ED12 actually but more nasal and very congested.
My biggest complaint at the moment though is the quite wonderful dancing treble on my ES3 has gone and I'm hearing a very un detailed and lost top end.
Actually the detail retrieval is actually much worse in general throughout the sound.
So at the moment I'm a tad disappointed but I'm gonna give them the evening and see if they get any better.
But at the moment they are certainly not the upgrade from the 3 :confused:

What if you try medium tips just to see what happens....or maybe whirlwinds. I listened to my husband's ES4 the other day and, to me, it sounded nothing like what your are describing. I must admit though... I do prefer my ED16....but I did have to change it's rubbery cable to one like you have on the ES4.

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #34,012 of 63,914
What if you try medium tips just to see what happens....or maybe whirlwinds. I listened to my husband's ES4 the other day and, to me, it sounded nothing like what your are describing. I must admit though... I do prefer my ED16....but I did have to change it's rubbery cable to one like you have on the ES4.
Yeah I'm gonna try some different tips now anyway. Have to be large though as the medium won't seal at all. But I'll try some others ( I've thousands lol)

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #34,013 of 63,914
I've decided to put aside for a while this "no eq" principle of mine and tried to fix the very technically potent but with tonal flaws (for me at least) zs10.

I'm using the settings below and I like very much how it turned out:
- mids more forward due to hot upper mids/lower trebble (2-4 KHz spike) being dialed down;
- instruments sound natural now due to upper treble roll-off restored;
- while at it I've also dialed down mid bass for a bit - also helps bringing mids forward;
- details, layering, soundstage, separation at best now that it sounds correct (again, for me) sonically.

Maybe other people upset with zs10 flaws might try this and realise how very good these should have sounded if properly tuned in the first place.
No reason not to keep them now I think.

PS: wide bores used to maximize mids and treble exposure.

What application are you using for your EQ for android? I want to try your settings

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #34,014 of 63,914
Yeah I'm gonna try some different tips now anyway. Have to be large though as the medium won't seal at all. But I'll try some others ( I've thousands lol)
I have wide canals too and have had difficulty finding tips large enough to give me a good seal. If you don't already have them, I recommend trying the JVC Spiral Dots. Despite having dozens of other tips, I'm back and forth between those and KZ Starlines 95% of the time.

The Spiral Dots seem to smooth out the FR of earphones in a way that others don't seem to be able to do well, which may sound like BS (it does to me) but measurements have supported this idea. They're also made of a somewhat stiffer silicone and are probably the widest large tip that I have.

I also did find the ES4 sounded much better with the Spiral Dots.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #34,015 of 63,914
I have large canals too and have had difficulty finding tips large enough to give me a good seal. If you don't already have them, I recommend trying the JVC Spiral Dots. Despite having dozens of other tips, I'm back and forth between those and KZ Starlines 95% of the time.

You can add the core-less ‘marshmallow foam’ tips inside of silicone tips. It stretches them out slightly and makes them fit large canals much better.

Hybrid tips are the best of both worlds - isolation and superior seal of foam and the longevity and hygienics of silicone.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #34,016 of 63,914
You can add the core-less ‘marshmallow foam’ tips inside of silicone tips. It stretches them out slightly and makes them fit large canals much better.
I don't know what those are like but I have tried putting a medium Comply tip peeled off its core into a large silicone. It seals well but starts to hurt after a while because it's very stiff.

Edit: It reminded me a lot of the Monster Gel Supertips though not quite as firm. Those were so bad that they were all either too small to create any seal at all or just painful after 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #34,017 of 63,914
I don't know what those are like but I have tried putting a medium Comply tip into a large silicone. It seals well but starts to hurt after a while because it's very stiff.

Comply foam is much stiffer, and they have the rubber core in the center. That makes them not ideal for DIY hybrid tips.

The marshmallow tips have no core in the middle, and they are super soft and squishy (a little more soft and squishy than foam earplugs).

I can post and link if you want to try some.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #34,018 of 63,914
Comply foam is much stiffer, and they have the rubber core in the center. That makes them not ideal for DIY hybrid tips.

The marshmallow tips have no core in the middle, and they are super soft and squishy (a little more soft and squishy than foam earplugs).

I can post and link if you want to try some.
Sure, I'd appreciate a link.

I used the Comply foam because some earphones come with a single medium Comply tip, so I have a bunch with no use for them because they're way too small for me. Pulling out the core is actually very easy.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #34,019 of 63,914
Sure, I'd appreciate a link.

I used the Comply foam because some earphones come with a single medium Comply tip, so I have a bunch with no use for them because they're way too small for me. Pulling out the core is actually very easy.

No problem, here you go (I forget who provided the photos): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...-reference-list.805930/page-714#post-14241145

They fit perfectly into LARGE Starline tips with no modifications at all, yet still remain soft. You can technically squish them into medium tips, but the foam gets compressed a lot which makes the tips hard. That's why I only suggest this method for large tips.

Also, here's a method to make your own out of disposable foam ear plugs (credit to hazuken for the photos): https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...-reference-list.805930/page-714#post-14241038

The earplug method is more of a pain because you have to get the size just right (shaving the size and angle down with scissors just right), and you also have to make the hole the right size and perfectly centered. The marshmallow tips are already the perfect size and shape.

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #34,020 of 63,914
I have wide canals too and have had difficulty finding tips large enough to give me a good seal. If you don't already have them, I recommend trying the JVC Spiral Dots. Despite having dozens of other tips, I'm back and forth between those and KZ Starlines 95% of the time.

The Spiral Dots seem to smooth out the FR of earphones in a way that others don't seem to be able to do well, which may sound like BS (it does to me) but measurements have supported this idea. They're also made of a somewhat stiffer silicone and are probably the widest large tip that I have.

I also did find the ES4 sounded much better with the Spiral Dots.

Well I tried some Sony hybrids, spirals and Various others but finally settled on the silicone ones from my M6 pro. Nice and comfortable and the only ones I could get a decent seal.
Whether it's made the ES4 any better I'm not sure.
The bass is better and the mids are now that bit less nasal (Although not by much), but the treble is still very lost. No detail at all. And in general they just seem to be missing clarity.
So i Just popped in my ES3 to compare and there is so much more detail and overall lushness on them that makes me think unfortunately these are just not for me.
Perhaps I should have gone for the ed16 instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back