Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 19, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #33,844 of 63,915
No no no. You understood me totally wrong!
I said I found my personal TOTL IEM in modified IT01.
Additionally I said I will try to modify ES4 to their best (for my ears and with my gear) and let You all here know how to achieve it. If ES4 is even worthy a modification, I don`t know yet as my ES4 is still on its way here.
Personally I don't think ES4 needs anything.

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #33,845 of 63,915
Thanks. Yes, I am aware that the overtone series and the strength of various overtones is really what gives instruments and voices their characteristics. For example, a clarinet only produces the odd overtones, which explains a lot about why they sound the way they do. I also looked at some FR curves for the ZS10, which tell me what you have been saying. Still do not hear what you and a few others are hearing with these iems. They sound nothing like what the curve shows. I will listen to a few of the posted tracks later today or tomorrow to see if I can hear what you are describing. I listen to a lot of large orchestral music, and was a trumpet player, so I listen to a lot of brass music. Even large brass passages in recordings I am very familiar with do not show the kind of problems being described. When I hear others (not you) call somethng unlistenable, that is a pretty strong statement. I hear nothing of the sort...
I just want to be clear, when I say the ZS10 is unlistenable on certain tracks, I mean that very literally. Unlistenable as in squirming from pain because I feel as if it's grating or pounding on my eardrums. Sometimes it's individual notes, for example all the times I quoted in my last post literally made me wince. For the trumpet and first Bach concerto tracks, I really can't tolerate more than a few seconds without needing to take them out because every note is painful, even at quiet volumes, and my ears require a break.

The first thought that came to mind is that as a trumpet player, maybe your ears have grown accustomed to the unique tonal characteristics. But then that wouldn't really make sense because I play violin and can't listen to violin music on them. The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, since people have different ears, but I don't know if this is a real phenomena.

Edit: Figured I'd also mention, I don't believe I've ever called another earphone unlistenable before.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #33,846 of 63,915
I've measured both channels and get the exact same frequency response for left and right, I find it hard to believe the same defect exists in both headphones. You always assume the headphones are defective if it doesn't match your opinions. Do you have the ZS6 and ED16 in hand to do a side by side comparison? I'm telling you, they sound damn near close but I much prefer the ZS6.

ZS6.fr.png

ED16.fr.png
I meant to say, it can be because I felt ZS6 too be artificial in detail

And see that dip, its an intended dip from most of the manufacturer but ed16 is more..

And, audio budget graph from my side is not that accurate, its a compensated graph

@HiFiChris used to have blogspot, where the peak on treble was way more clear.

And ED16 is extended and less trebly, see 10kHz...

4kHz dip is more.

I mean to say, zs6 was to hard to my ears, everyone have different ears.

And instrument harshness comes from region of 2kHz to 8kHz, tried, tested and neutralized by neutralizer....

ZS6 wasn't harsh but the cymbal hit me like a truck on some tracks..

Everyone have their own opinion, but you should know KZ quality control and should not argue on small topic...mine doesn't sound harsh..

It can be my ears, or I have a little superior QC than yours.

I don't have ZS6 at the moment....

And I regret not doing slater mod...

I broke my ZS5 at the worst moment, when they released ZS5v2..

We have our own taste, but harshness is still not a possibility

4kHz is 3dB lower and 10kHz is also somewhat 2.5dB lower and these can make a sibilant IEM a non sibilant one....

Other things are your preference, as I don't like ZS10, other may like it..

And yup, I am proud that I did Golden ear training of Harman and Philips...

And ran STAX CD on multiple IEM and headphones.....

So I am just to technical for normal people

Sorry, if you felt something bad or forcefully

ZS6 ain't bad, but metals and rock is something I can't bear with ZS6....

Try ZS5v1 and you will get to know what I liked

ED16 is a less smooth ZS5v1.....which was KZ best IEM till date and the worst thing they did by replacing them....

No means of triggering anyone....

But today I am emotionally too weak....

Jun 19, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #33,847 of 63,915
So... to whichever member who reported my post about a banned product:

I don't get why instead or REPORTING me for asking a sincere question -- and for God's sakes, I don't keep a list of HEAD-FI BANNED VENDORS in my brain -- that member didn't simply suggest a non-banned alternative.

This place is becoming less and less friendly. :frowning2:

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #33,848 of 63,915
Jun 19, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #33,849 of 63,915
I just want to be clear, when I say the ZS10 is unlistenable on certain tracks, I mean that very literally. Unlistenable as in squirming from pain because I feel as if it's grating or pounding on my eardrums. Sometimes it's individual notes, for example all the times I quoted in my last post literally made me wince. For the trumpet and first Bach concerto tracks, I really can't tolerate more than a few seconds without needing to take them out because every note is painful, even at quiet volumes, and my ears require a break.

The first thought that came to mind is that as a trumpet player, maybe your ears have grown accustomed to the unique tonal characteristics. But then that wouldn't really make sense because I play violin and can't listen to violin music on them. The two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, since people have different ears, but I don't know if this is a real phenomena.

Edit: Figured I'd also mention, I don't believe I've ever called another earphone unlistenable before.
So.. Source? Volume Level?

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #33,850 of 63,915
I also looked at some FR curves for the ZS10, which tell me what you have been saying. Still do not hear what you and a few others are hearing with these iems. They sound nothing like what the curve shows.

Keep in mind that 98% of graphs you see are DIY graphs, are not compensated results, and are not taken on standardized measuring equipment.

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #33,851 of 63,915
If I had a dollar for every inaccurate description on Amazon, eBay, Aliexpress, etc I’d be a millionaire.
True....

Actually you would have been a billionaire...
When nicehck bro and KZ ZS6 can sell for 150USD, just imagine what would be ZS10.

Actually Indian prices are messed up

Jive sells for under 10$
KZ sells more than what you can think
Hifiman sells cheap
Beyerdynamic sells cheap as hell(except of dt100, that crap is for real 110k INR or 20k USD )
Audio technica is a daily brand..

By the way, their is a company here, which in actual terms modified KZ ate.

BoAt Nirvana uno, looks like KZ ate with ugly body, but sounds less boomy and more HiFi... I asked the representative and he said that we got cheaper body ATE from OEM and then added some 1mm foam at back...

Evidson makes their earphone India and are also way good. Titanium coated mylar diaphragm with N52 magnet.. Z4 is the name..

Signature acoustic is expensive Indian IEM, and OB1 is open back bamboo model sounding like grado with a little tamed treble and tight bass response.

Tekfusion twinwoofers is also indian and was reviewed @ljokerl , which is a skullcandy signature but way tight decay response making them bold... Sub Bass is well loose, making them sound like woofers.

Muve acoustic drive sounds like little vieled etymotic er4.. I mean lifeless etymotic but good treble response... Neutral

Well leave that

Only one brand in India, which can be of KZ bloodline is BoAt. They are mostly modified KZ and sounds very good. Now they got UiiSii triple driver tuned and sold by them..

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #33,853 of 63,915
Got my ED16, burned them for about 40 hours. The sound signature is really close to the ZS6. Not as good though, they don't sound as open, the upper mids and treble have a similar elevation and format with ZS6 but they are harsher and even distorted at some points. Just like you would imagine a ZS6 would sound if pushed over the limit and started distorting a tiny bit. Tried to listen for two hours at 40% volume and there's something about that unclear high range that gave me a headache. I can listen to ZS6 for hours no problem, even though they sound almost the same. I'll leave them to burn in some more, if nthing changes I'll open them up to block one of the BA.

How will you know which BA to block? ED16 has 2 different BAs (30095 and 50060).

Even if you block the BA that is causing your problem, there’s no guarantee that you’ll block the same BA in the other shell.

You could potentially block 1 50060 in the left, and the 30095 in the right. Or you could block both 50060s, when in reality it’s the 30095s that were causing you the problems.

Jun 19, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #33,854 of 63,915
images-61.jpg

If the mad scientists at KZ Acoustics are on their game they will issue this hybrid with their 6mm micro-dynamic for quick and textured bass coupled with their midrange BA for a vivid mid range (basically a more refined ZS3).

IMHO, this is one KZ that should remain warm and detailed. There are more than enough KZ hybrids with varying degrees of treble extension for micro-detail.

In short, a more refined EDR1 sound signature with bangin' bass, silky mids and very comfortable treble.

5bk9u.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #33,855 of 63,915
So let’s get back on track with discussing KZs.

If you could ask KZ to make your next dream audio product, what would it be?

I would ask them to make an device similar to the amp that was attached to the ZN1, but such that you could attach any headphones (optimized for 32ohm and below, since that covers 99% of their products).

It would not only have headphone amplification, but tone control as well (tri-band would be fine, but more granular controls would be even better).

People could use it to tweak the sound to their liking, such as dialing in more forward midrange on the ZST, dialing down the treble on the ZS6, etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back