Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 13, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #33,526 of 63,914
Got it.

Since you have both and are well versed in describing sound how would you best describe the differences between the ED16 and the ZSR?

If my memory serves me correctly the M3 are somewhat reminiscent of the ES3.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/knowledge-zenith-es3.22976/reviews

https://www.aproear.co.uk/kz-es3/

ZSR bad points

Cavernous stage

Unwanted echo

Extreme boosted mid lower bass and then sudden sub bass rolloff

Unwanted 4kHz dip after irregular 3kHz peak.

Sudden rise after 4kHz dip makes sound sibilant sometime.

Detail retrieval is hazy and sharp(pungent)

ED16 fixed all these issue and I dont want to say ZSR is bad, but compared to ED16, it sounds something like I mentioned up there

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #33,528 of 63,914
Yes, they did say 5BA. One page back :) It's supposed to be out sometime in July.

the KZ weibo did say something about a July release, though they're supposed to release another model before the 10BA and the 16 driver (maybe also all BA?). Still no pics from them, so take it with a grain of salt.
38FpnXd.png

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #33,529 of 63,914
the KZ weibo did say something about a July release, though they're supposed to release another model before the 10BA and the 16 driver (maybe also all BA?). Still no pics from them, so take it with a grain of salt.

The 5BA pre-release ads confirm a July release so we should be safe with that one. Curious which one is coming before it. I also might be able to get the 5BA a little earlier than normal (for me at least, i.e. around the actual release date instead of a month or two late thanks to my location), but that's still up in the air.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #33,530 of 63,914
The 5BA pre-release ads confirm a July release so we should be safe with that one. Curious which one is coming before it. I also might be able to get the 5BA a little earlier than normal (for me at least, i.e. around the actual release date instead of a month or two late thanks to my location), but that's still up in the air.

Hopefully they are to going use proper tubes and resistor filters.

I also think a lot of people unfamiliar with the sound of all-BA IEMs are going to buy it and be disappointed at the lack of sub bass.

More than likely a low impedance source will be needed as well. All-BAs don’t always play well with phones. This is why the ZS5 v1 got such poor initial reviews.

We’ll see how it all pans out though.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #33,532 of 63,914
Well I promised initial impressions of the ZS10 relative to the ES4, so here goes my best attempt:

The ZS10, more or less, is an ES4 with less polished low-end, more recessed mids, and a stage that's about as wide but a little more deep than the ES4. Growing the stage did mess up coherency a bit and maybe a little EQ can tighten that up (as well abolish the midbass bleed).

They also seem to be really source-dependent. On my OnePlus 6, they're far bassier than with my Xduoo X3. In the terms of having more presence in the upper midrange, a separate DAP might be a smart idea. Either way, they need more power than what the TRN BT3 cable will provide, so they'll be delegated to wired duty unless I'm listening to material that's more bass-light.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #33,533 of 63,914
ZSR bad points

Cavernous stage

Unwanted echo

Extreme boosted mid lower bass and then sudden sub bass rolloff

Unwanted 4kHz dip after irregular 3kHz peak.

Sudden rise after 4kHz dip makes sound sibilant sometime.

Detail retrieval is hazy and sharp(pungent)

ED16 fixed all these issue and I dont want to say ZSR is bad, but compared to ED16, it sounds something like I mentioned up there

Thank you for your feedback.

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #33,534 of 63,914
Recently buy the KZ Bluetooth Cable, after read some Google search result that some saying this support APT-X Codec.

Ordered it and arrived in nicely small white cartoon box, that looks not bad at all. Comes with small micro USB for charging & manual. Installation to ZS6 is simple. The material is just okay, cable and connector definitely the same as ZS6 in the box cable.

Turn it on to pairing mode, connect to Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus with Lineages OS 15.1, playing some Spotify tunes the sound quality far worse than connect using cable directly. Check Bluetooth setting, no HD Audio option. Disconnect, run CatLog app, connect again, and search Bluetooth, it only run in SBC Codec. Note even AAC. No wonder when playing some Spotify tune the sound quality is not great at all, just like a typical non AAC/APT-X Bluetooth earphone.

Well, it only worth to connect to other super cheap IEM with removable and compatible connector.

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #33,535 of 63,914
Recently buy the KZ Bluetooth Cable, after read some Google search result that some saying this support APT-X Codec.

Ordered it and arrived in nicely small white cartoon box, that looks not bad at all. Comes with small micro USB for charging & manual. Installation to ZS6 is simple. The material is just okay, cable and connector definitely the same as ZS6 in the box cable.

Turn it on to pairing mode, connect to Xiaomi Mi 5s Plus with Lineages OS 15.1, playing some Spotify tunes the sound quality far worse than connect using cable directly. Check Bluetooth setting, no HD Audio option. Disconnect, run CatLog app, connect again, and search Bluetooth, it only run in SBC Codec. Note even AAC. No wonder when playing some Spotify tune the sound quality is not great at all, just like a typical non AAC/APT-X Bluetooth earphone.

Well, it only worth to connect to other super cheap IEM with removable and compatible connector.

Which one did you get? There are 3 different revisions - a Bluetooth 4.1 version, Bluetooth 4.2 version, and a Bluetooth 5.0 version.

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #33,537 of 63,914
hi everyone..

i need an advice,
please choose between W6 pro or ATR..and tell me why you choose it?

many thanks in advance..

oh right, i forgot to mention..
i already own W1 pro for about 2 weeks, and yes this budget IEM surprise me..
my son keep asking this for him, so i gonna need a replacement that sound on par or even much more than W1 pro (compare to that option above)..

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #33,538 of 63,914
The box and the manual: Bluetooth 4.2..

And I just realized there's the 5.0 version.

hmmmm. I have the same one that you have bluetooth 4.2 however I don't hear any noticeable quality loss as opposed to going wired. Have you turned your volume up on your phone and then adjusting the volume on your headset? I'm assumming you have the model that costs around $25 right?

Still waiting for the coveted ZS4's release. ARGH i want that model so bad.

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #33,539 of 63,914
hmmmm. I have the same one that you have bluetooth 4.2 however I don't hear any noticeable quality loss as opposed to going wired. Have you turned your volume up on your phone and then adjusting the volume on your headset? I'm assumming you have the model that costs around $25 right?

Still waiting for the coveted ZS4's release. ARGH i want that model so bad.

Set the volume in device to near max, fiddling the BT volume, no change.

I buy it from reseller in my country, it only cost about 10USD. I doubt this fake, because the packaging & unit seems legit and looks exactly like in gearbest etc. also the device recognizing it as KZ.

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #33,540 of 63,914
imagine KZ making on-ear and over-ear headphones lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back