Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 13, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #33,541 of 63,884
imagine KZ making on-ear and over-ear headphones lol

I think they did.

c9d1add1-652d-9a92-c4a8-1716e79de5d1.jpg

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #33,544 of 63,884
Set the volume in device to near max, fiddling the BT volume, no change.

I buy it from reseller in my country, it only cost about 10USD. I doubt this fake, because the packaging & unit seems legit and looks exactly like in gearbest etc. also the device recognizing it as KZ.

Does yours look like this one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...f4ae85f&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

or this one?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...81f46c8&transAbTest=ae803_2&priceBeautifyAB=0

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #33,545 of 63,884
Set the volume in device to near max, fiddling the BT volume, no change.

I buy it from reseller in my country, it only cost about 10USD. I doubt this fake, because the packaging & unit seems legit and looks exactly like in gearbest etc. also the device recognizing it as KZ.

The quality difference really is dependent on a few things.
i) The data rate being sent.
If you're doing 256kbps MP3 (which is decent though not the best of course), then you probably won't get much fidelity loss from "lossy compression"of the BT data packet. But if you were running a 750kbps FLAC file, the compression and thus data loss effects will be more obvious.
I have a BT 5.0 receiver that I connect to my desktop DAC. The differences in sound output are quite evident the higher the input data rate is as I have actually done A/B testing by switching inputs while listening.
ii) How well the module can drive your IEMs.
Some sound better with more power, so not much if noticeable difference. Case in point being the Tin Audio T2 and the ZS10. The former doesn't sound much different with amping or without. The ZS10 does sound different with amping, hence a more powerful input source can influence positively or negatively an IEMs sound.

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #33,547 of 63,884
The quality difference really is dependent on a few things.
i) The data rate being sent.
If you're doing 256kbps MP3 (which is decent though not the best of course), then you probably won't get much fidelity loss from "lossy compression"of the BT data packet. But if you were running a 750kbps FLAC file, the compression and thus data loss effects will be more obvious.
I have a BT 5.0 receiver that I connect to my desktop DAC. The differences in sound output are quite evident the higher the input data rate is as I have actually done A/B testing by switching inputs while listening.
ii) How well the module can drive your IEMs.
Some sound better with more power, so not much if noticeable difference. Case in point being the Tin Audio T2 and the ZS10. The former doesn't sound much different with amping or without. The ZS10 does sound different with amping, hence a more powerful input source can influence positively or negatively an IEMs sound.

That's why I'm recheck the codec using CatLog app to assuring and confirmed its SBC, not APT-X. The SBC is not that bad, but once you hear same song in APT-X it will be a surprise, even if it's just ogg 256 file (Spotify high quality stream mode for Premium User).

Anyway I'm not really surprised though, due to APT-X codec usually only available in CSR made BT chip. It's just my curiosity of something this cheap lol

The first one. And the 2nd link isn't it different brand? Mine is KZ.

Jun 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #33,548 of 63,884
Started exploring different ways to EQ the ZS10 to make up for some of its flaws and stumbled across an Android app by the name of Neutralizer. I think it's really smart with these since you're basically using your ears to level-match different tones or cancel out anything too bright/boomy. Aiming for something as volume-matched across the range has definitely tamed the hell out of these things, brought the mids to a more even plane, and just overall made them more enjoyable. I added in a photo of the resulting curve; keep in mind that I'm using the silver-plated cable.

Screenshot_20180613-095743.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #33,549 of 63,884
I'm burning in some headphones right now and I'm hard-pressed to tell which ones are better than which. They virtually almost all the sound the same. It makes me realize buying $400 in budget headphones was a bad idea. :wink:

I'm using a Zishan Z1 with a Fairchild NE5532 opamp to test and so far the results are: KZ ATR, JBL Synchros E10 (they may be better but they always fall out of my ears, I guess I should try foams?), Rock Zircon, Old KZ with blue cable/Knowledge Zenith on plug, KZ ED7. I also tried KZ ZS3 but I forgot where they go.

To be honest with you all the headphones sound good and there are really only a few nuances that change each from the other. I guess with them maybe using similar factories or parts budget headphones don't really stand out.

* Which music or opamp should I use to test which pair of headphones is better?

** The reason I ask is I want to buy a KZ ES4 but it sounds like a waste of money since all these headphones sound basically the same.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #33,550 of 63,884
Another one from KZ arrived.
This time grey colored ZSA's.
First and most noticeable thing... Jeeeees... They are soooooo tiiiiiinyyyyyy.
As i have quite large ears and earcanals it's a little bit challenge for me to fit them in place properly.
Soundwise (out of the box), they are IMO similar to ZS6's. They have good bass and sub-bass (yes sub-bass is very good in these). It's not as accurate as on the ZS6's but it's very slightly elevated. Not much, but noticeably.
Mids and soundstage is very similar to ZS6's as well as layering. Instrument separation is not as good as on the ZS6's but still pretty good (IMO due to slightly rolled off treble (maybe 2-4 dB i guess).
As i mentioned the treble spike is not as piercing as on the ZS6's but certain level of sibilance or piercingness is still noticeable especially with silicone tips (for example Spiral dots... Spin Fits never fit me well).
All the way around i find ZSA very good earphones with very good sound signnature and very good build quality (i did not have a problem with QC at all). But as i have a larger ears i'm not able to wear them outside, because i'm worriing they will fall from my ears.

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #33,551 of 63,884
I'm burning in some headphones right now and I'm hard-pressed to tell which ones are better than which. They virtually almost all the sound the same. It makes me realize buying $400 in budget headphones was a bad idea. :wink:

I'm using a Zishan Z1 with a Fairchild NE5532 opamp to test and so far the results are: KZ ATR, JBL Synchros E10 (they may be better but they always fall out of my ears, I guess I should try foams?), Rock Zircon, Old KZ with blue cable/Knowledge Zenith on plug, KZ ED7. I also tried KZ ZS3 but I forgot where they go.

To be honest with you all the headphones sound good and there are really only a few nuances that change each from the other. I guess with them maybe using similar factories or parts budget headphones don't really stand out.

Which music or opamp should I use to test which pair of headphones is better?

The reason I ask is I want to buy a KZ ES4 but it sounds like a waste of money since all the headphones are basically the same.
Have you also tried them on a smartphone? Which music program do you use? If Spotify, please select Extreme audio quality. There are a lot of factors. :)

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #33,552 of 63,884

** The reason I ask is I want to buy a KZ ES4 but it sounds like a waste of money since all the headphones are basically the same.
I swapped my Muses8920 for a NE5532 op amp on a DIY'ed aliex dac/amp and the resolution became worse with more noise.. Maybe muses8920 might help you, or if you can spend more maybe the muses 01/02. Best is to check the opamp thread

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #33,553 of 63,884
Have you also tried them on a smartphone? Which music program do you use? If Spotify, please select Extreme audio quality. There are a lot of factors. :)
I'll never use a smartphone to listen to music so I don't see the point of testing these headphones on one. I'm really old school. I prefer a portable music player. The ones I have are Colorfly C3, Benjie S5, Zishan Z1, Zishan Z3, Walnut v2.2 and Walnut V2S.

As you can tell I like to waste money. I'm trying to fix that... For now, I guess with the $600+ dollars wasted on budget players and headphones I can help someone out:

They're all the same, just buy a couple pairs of headphones and a single music player with changeable opamp and roll with it. I saved you $100's of dollars. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #33,554 of 63,884
Started exploring different ways to EQ the ZS10 to make up for some of its flaws and stumbled across an Android app by the name of Neutralizer. I think it's really smart with these since you're basically using your ears to level-match different tones or cancel out anything too bright/boomy. Aiming for something as volume-matched across the range has definitely tamed the hell out of these things, brought the mids to a more even plane, and just overall made them more enjoyable. I added in a photo of the resulting curve; keep in mind that I'm using the silver-plated cable.

Actually @audionab discovered it, and I was the one who used it in the beginning.

Basic professional level Eq can be reached.

Go to completely silent room

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #33,555 of 63,884

** The reason I ask is I want to buy a KZ ES4 but it sounds like a waste of money since all these headphones sound basically the same.
Burson v6 vivid...try this op amp

Or Texas opa1688 package chip if you can mod.

Burson v6 vivid is complete overkill solid-state based op amp with pure class A sequence.

It means class A sound with op amp efficiency.

I had burson v5d and it blew my socks of. It made me feel that the world is very big. I am not defining soundstage, soundstage is not present here but a sound world.

According to burson, they claim that nothing is added by this op amp. It does the work of what an op amp should do, amplify the signal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back