Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 22, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #31,261 of 64,160
I was sent a ZS6 instead of a ZSR, thanks Amazon. Regardless I'll keep them and purchase the ZSR for AE.

How do I make sure my cable is connected properly? I am using the TRN V20's cable because that's all I have atm.

Apr 22, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #31,262 of 64,160
I was sent a ZS6 instead of a ZSR, thanks Amazon. Regardless I'll keep them and purchase the ZSR for AE.

How do I make sure my cable is connected properly? I am using the TRN V20's cable because that's all I have atm.

With the TRN cable, you can tell by the way the war guides curve. Once you locate the small L and R letters on the TRN 2-pin plugs, make the ear guide curve back away from the nozzle end.

If that doesn’t make sense, I can post a picture when I get home.

You’ll still want to check the phase with one of the audioheck.net or YouTube files, as KZ occasionally installs the red jack backwards or solders the wires backwards internally.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #31,263 of 64,160

If amazon sends you the wrong item, you're legally allowed to keep it and get a refund.

Apr 22, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #31,264 of 64,160
You also left off the Ghost Pepper topped Buffalo chicken sandwich - the Zs6 "Hottest treble in town"

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #31,266 of 64,160
I still cannot find anything really special about the ZSR's. They pump a lot of mid bass, somewhat decent soundstage, but that's really about it for the good. They have crackling when bass hits, and disappointing muddy sub-low end. I'll admit I might have a bad pair, but they're both working fine.

Probably have hundreds of hours on the IT03's now and they don't really impress me more than the ZS5's once I get used to them again, but I continue to use them because they're the best isolation I have with a 1hr bus ride every morning to work, and they're the only IEM's I have now with MMCX for my bluetooth adapter.

Apr 22, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #31,267 of 64,160
Karma man, karma
I think the karma gods would turn a blind eye to keeping a $30 IEM from a 700 billion dollar corporation, when its technically their fault:beyersmile:

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #31,268 of 64,160
I think the karma gods would turn a blind eye to keeping a $30 IEM from a 700 billion dollar corporation, when its technically their fault:beyersmile:

Being a zs6, most probably it was seled in marketplace. Probably a small store Would take the the loss.

But i would'nt hesitate in keeping and taking refund If i didn't wanted the zs6. It does'nt makes sense to the consumer take the product, send back and waste time to cover an error of the shop.

Apr 22, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #31,269 of 64,160
Being a zs6, most probably it was seled in marketplace. Probably a small store Would take the the loss.

But i would'nt hesitate in keeping and taking refund If i didn't wanted the zs6. It doesn't makes sense to the consumer take the product, send back and waste time to cover an error of the shop.
Unless he bought it from a third party amazon seller, then everything is fulfilled by amazon, meaning amazon would take the loss. At the end of the day, not sending it back would probably be one of the best way to help ensure they don't make the same mistake

Apr 22, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #31,270 of 64,160
My order was fulfilled by amazon, you all are right I'll contact support when I get gome from work. In the meantime, is this correct? When I plug them in the opposite way I get a subtle buzzing sound.

Attachments

• IMG_20180422_171906455.jpg
    IMG_20180422_171906455.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #31,271 of 64,160
My order was fulfilled by amazon, you all are right I'll contact support when I get gome from work. In the meantime, is this correct? When I plug them in the opposite way I get a subtle buzzing sound.
You probably shouldn't plug them in the opposite way. That sound definitely isn't a "good" thing

Apr 22, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #31,274 of 64,160
I still cannot find anything really special about the ZSR's. They pump a lot of mid bass, somewhat decent soundstage, but that's really about it for the good. They have crackling when bass hits, and disappointing muddy sub-low end. I'll admit I might have a bad pair, but they're both working fine.

Probably have hundreds of hours on the IT03's now and they don't really impress me more than the ZS5's once I get used to them again, but I continue to use them because they're the best isolation I have with a 1hr bus ride every morning to work, and they're the only IEM's I have now with MMCX for my bluetooth adapter.

Sometimes things just don't float your boat but I highly recommend further tip-rolling if you've only used the ZSR with a few eartips. With some eartips the ZSR can come across as slightly veiled in the midrange if the lower frequencies are too prominent. I swapped to a tight fitting but somewhat narrow-bored silicone eartip and it slightly pulled the midrange forward while slightly offering more control in the lower frequency ranges. It wasn't by much but it was enough to give classic rock a good balance of warmth and transparency.

The eartip on the far right, which has a collar small enough to fit on a 3mm nozzle, is the eartip that gave me the better presentation. It's quite odd that it fit when you consider the ZSR's 6mm telephone pole nozzle but it did work wonders. To my ears, while tip-rolling with the ZSR I found that the more narrow the bore is the more forward the midrange becomes. It's just a matter of finding the balance that best suits your tastes.

If there is an eartip that can produce similar results then perhaps you'll get more enjoyment out of your ZSR.

I remember how much you enjoyed your ZS6 despite your having to get acclimated to its extraordinary sense of micro-detail. Stay tuned over the coming weeks because there may be some noteworthy information to report in the near future. That's all I can say for now but keep a watchful eye on this thread in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, I'm sure you have your own test tracks but for those who identify with your experience I've included several test tracks to use while tip-rolling in order to achieve a midrange with more presence and sub-bass with a slightly smaller footprint. The second track in particular should be helpful in determining the relationship between the midrange and the lower frequencies.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #31,275 of 64,160
Sometimes things just don't float your boat but I highly recommend further tip-rolling if you've only used the ZSR with a few eartips. With some eartips the ZSR can come across as slightly veiled in the midrange if the lower frequencies are too prominent. I swapped to a tight fitting but somewhat narrow-bored silicone eartip and it slightly pulled the midrange forward while slightly offering more control in the lower frequency ranges. It wasn't by much but it was enough to give classic rock a good balance of warmth and transparency.

The eartip on the far right, which has a collar small enough to fit on a 3mm nozzle, is the eartip that gave me the better presentation. It's quite odd that it fit when you consider the ZSR's 6mm telephone pole nozzle but it did work wonders.

If there is an eartip that can produce similar results then perhaps you'll get more enjoyment out of your ZSR.

I remember how much you enjoyed your ZS6 despite your having to get acclimated to its extraordinary presentation of micro-detail. Stay tuned over the coming weeks because there may be some noteworthy information to report in the near future. That's all I can say for now but keep a watchful eye on this thread in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, I'm sure you have your own test tracks but for those who identify with your experience I've included several test tracks to use while tip-rolling in order to achieve a midrange with more presence and sub-bass with less presence. The second track in particular should be helpful in determining the relationship between the midrange and the lower frequencies.

Agreed. The ZSR is one of my more favoritest IEMs, but it does involve some tip rolling. And someone mentioned the ZS6 as "the hottest treble in town..." like that's a bad thing. Some of us old guys need that. lol. (Though the ZS6 does indeed seem a bit bright, even to me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back