Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #31,231 of 64,017
I need a comparison with your ZSR... they sound alike?

No, they don't sound alike!

The ED15 sounds similar to the Urbanfun Hifi hybrid. Both have 1 BA and 1 dynamic driver. I am not sure which of the two iems is "better". The ED15 has a stronger bass and the vocals in the Urbanfun may be a bit less recessed, but the difference is small. The Takstar and the ED15 are similar in the bass but the former is grainier in the mids.

ZS5, ZSR, and ZS10 are one class above. Compared to the ED15, the ZSR has more forward and dynamic mids and a bigger, more natural image.

Don't forget, the ZSR costs twice as much as the ED15.

comparison.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #31,232 of 64,017
Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #31,233 of 64,017
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but was wondering if anyone could help me. I've been tossing up between buying a pair of ZS6s or ZSRs. I have the ZS3s and really like the way they fit, but am looking for something that sounds a little better. I like to listen to old school jazz and acoustic covers. Could you guys help me out?

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #31,234 of 64,017
Agreed. I'm talking after-the-fact.

For example, I have the black (copper) and silver-plated TRN cables. The silver TRN cable has lower resistance between the 2, so that is the one I prefer.

However, I have numerous KZ cables - a stock (copper) one vs a silver-plated cable. The silver-plated cable has lower resistance, so that is the one I would prefer.

That is an example that there isn't a blanket answer to copper vs silver-plated. It varies by cable and by manufacturer. And as you mentioned, most don't provide resistance values up-front. That's why it's so useful that @hakuzen has been kind enough to provide measurements for a number of cables.

Does @hakuzen has a Webbie?

In general, lower resistance is preferred ?

Apr 22, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #31,235 of 64,017
ON OBTAINING IDENTICAL FR CURVES USING DIFFERENT RIGS - OR NOT

This is not possible as each rig setup is slightly different. Here four FR curves for the KZ ZS5 v1. earphone from four different rigs.

Three of the FR curves are almost identical, only the phonograph is off relative to the others in that...

1. The phonograph's X-axis terminates at 24 kHz (as previously pointed out by Slater), the others at 20 kHz. The 24K is consistently wrong labelling on every phonograph curve.
2. The second of the circled double peak is higher than the first in the phonograph's curve. It is the other way round in the other three curves.
3. The phonograph's curve is suspiciously smooth.

It appears that the phonograph's curves are not the original software outputs but an artist's rendering. Sloppy work and not reliable to me!

phonograph.jpg

crinacle.jpg

otto.jpg

audiobudget.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #31,236 of 64,017
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but was wondering if anyone could help me. I've been tossing up between buying a pair of ZS6s or ZSRs. I have the ZS3s and really like the way they fit, but am looking for something that sounds a little better. I like to listen to old school jazz and acoustic covers. Could you guys help me out?
I would recommend the ZSR. Reasoning:
1. They are universally liked
2. They have essentially the same fit as the ZS3
3. They are really good sounding
4. They are cheaper than the ZS6

The ZS6 are polarizing as they have a 10K peak that is not for treble sensitive people (it hurts in my ears). They have a different fit than the ZS3 and - on the good side - they are made of metal.

I have both, the ZS6 for looks and the ZSR for listening. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #31,237 of 64,017
Does @hakuzen has a Webbie?

In general, lower resistance is preferred ?

Not that I know of, but he has been slowly compiling/updating this list: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1785#post-13964853

Also, here is some helpful reading on the topic (may be Greek to some though):

Typically the answer is "yes" on question #2. There are special cases where higher resistance (or an impedance adapter) might be beneficial.

Apr 22, 2018 at 1:18 AM Post #31,239 of 64,017

The ZS6 are polarizing as they have a 10K peak that is not for treble sensitive people (it hurts in my ears). They have a different fit than the ZS3 and - on the good side - they are made of metal.

Per Otto's ZSR recommendation above:

1. Yes, for the most part
2. Agreed
3. Agreed
4. Agreed

Another option is to wait for the ZS3's successor (the ZS4), and wait for reviews/impressions. It's in the same body as a ZS3 (which you said you liked the fit of), only a hybrid design (DD+BA). No one has heard it yet, nor knows exactly what drivers will be used in it yet. The existing ZS3 shell only fits a 7mm or 8mm dymanic driver though, so my guess is it will be one of those (plus some sort of BA in the nozzle of course). ZS4 is due for release at some point in the very near future.

2018-03-29_15.08.37.png

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #31,240 of 64,017
Hmmm, tell us more about this supposed mysterious "friend" haha. I love a good mystery!

There are two main forums..."the other forum" and Head Fi. Posts mentioning that other forum are banned here - because the moderators of both forums dislike each other.

The members of the other forum are snobbish. You can't discuss trivial stuff such as colour and buying advice over there.

Therefore, that member of the other forum prefers not to be mentioned here so that he is not discredited over there. He obviously measured stuff that has been published over there....including some of my headphones. I am also a member over there but under a different name - and have been inactive fore most of the time. I have had only a single post I think.

Childish? Mysterious? Silly? Hmmm....yes!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #31,241 of 64,017
I assume that you're asking here because you're planning on purchasing a KZ product. I'll go further with assuming that its because the KZ you have was inexpensive and sounds OK. I'll add that if I were to choose between the two you list and given your description of the music you like that I'd also recommend the ZSR.

If I'm correct with my assumptions, I'll just point out that there are other under $30 (about the price of the ZSR) IEMs that have flatter frequency responses and might be a better choice for listening to music that has lots of acoustic instruments versus electric ones. Check out the under $100 Chinese IEMs thread. Recent popular under $30 that you'll find there are the Yersen FEN-2000, TRN V20, UiiSii CM5, Rose North Forest, MEMT X5 and EINSEAR T2. There are other choices too but I tried to just list ones I've listened to that I think would be good or ones with reviews consistent with sounding good with acoustic music.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #31,242 of 64,017
I assume that you're asking here because you're planning on purchasing a KZ product. I'll go further with assuming that its because the KZ you have was inexpensive and sounds OK. I'll add that if I were to choose between the two you list and given your description of the music you like that I'd also recommend the ZSR.

If I'm correct with my assumptions, I'll just point out that there are other under $30 (about the price of the ZSR) IEMs that have flatter frequency responses and might be a better choice for listening to music that has lots of acoustic instruments versus electric ones. Check out the under $100 Chinese IEMs thread. Recent popular under $30 that you'll find there are the Yersen FEN-2000, TRN V20, UiiSii CM5, Rose North Forest, MEMT X5 and EINSEAR T2. There are other choices too but I tried to just list ones I've listened to that I think would be good or ones with reviews consistent with sounding good with acoustic music.

ATE is good with acoustic as well...very natural tone.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #31,243 of 64,017
TONAL DIFFERENCE EDR1 - ED15

I was asked this question!

Answer: $10!

Joke aside, the tonal quality difference between the two is not that big. The ED15 has a better separation between bass and mids, and voices sound more refined and accurate. And the ED15's bass is a bit less loose. A brightening in the mids is the BA driver's handwriting.

I still found that the technically simpler and less accurate EDR1 sounds a bit rounder, warmer, and more musical; it is definitely not less fun than the ED15 and is probably less fatiguing in the long run.

In summary, the ED15 sounds more controlled in all departments but I don't want to miss my EDR1.

And after three flat bicycle tires yesterday, my new ED15 found a home.

CABLE SCHMABLE PART 437

Rubbery EDR1 cable against new fancy schmancy braided stock cable...I have spent quite some time untangling the new stock cable as braiding introduces friction. Nothing wrong with the rubbery one to me. Don't know about the difference in microphonics since I don't move much.

IMG_6420.jpg.jpg

IMG_6425.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #31,244 of 64,017
The ZSR is a better allrounder of the two, I’d recommend that one of the two.

However, with your genre preferences, the Yersen FEN-2000 may be spot on. It retrieves so much detail from your favorite genres!

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #31,245 of 64,017

How would you compare ZS5 v2 with ZS6. I generally am not treble sensitive, and love airy treble However, ZS5 v2 passes the threshold for me, and is very sibilant, and slightly harsh treble in quite a few songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back