Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 22, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #27,196 of 63,842
I'll just chime in with the suggestion that if you're going to spend $8 for a KZ upgrade cable that you instead get the newer design braided style. I really prefer it to the other 2 older styles that KZ has. They even make an identical version with MMCX connectors instead of the standard KZ dual pins which I think is about the best deal for an inexpensive MMCX cable. But it can be a matter of personal preference. To me its all about how the cable lies, the materials used for the case, how are the microphonics, how it looks, type of jack and connectors, even shape, for example flat cables, etc because I'm in the a cable is a cable camp when it comes to cables making a sonic difference.

This one?
http://s.aliexpress.com/aQZfqEjY?

Jan 22, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #27,197 of 63,842
Jan 22, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #27,198 of 63,842
I wasn't able to get on the KZR deal so i'm going to wait until my KZ ZS6's arrive before I decide to pull the trigger on the ZSR's. Question for you ZSR owners that have also owned the ZS3's in the past: How does the ZSR not fit/isolate as well as the ZS3? From what I see, the design looks identical to the ZS3... so why are there reports that it doesn't isolate as well as the ZS3?

I'm also wondering why people are saying that the ZSR's are a sidegrade from the ZS5's or the ZS6's. I would think that the comfort alone would be significant enough vs the loss of one driver.
The funny thing is, the design of the ZSR is such that the nozzle in pointing downwards when putting in my ears. Its definitely not the exact same shell as ZS3. I feel ZS3 is more comfortable. Isolation wise i cant comment because i dont have my ZS3 anymore

Jan 22, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #27,199 of 63,842
Jan 23, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #27,201 of 63,842
Welcome .,.Cheers.. Btw peeps, here's Techmanz initial ZSR showdown against several IEMS,,:)

The guy compare the sound of a modded iem with a original iem :facepalm:

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #27,202 of 63,842
photo_2018-01-23_22-26-28.jpg

Coming back to the ZS5v1 after a series of increasingly expensive purchases (rip wallet), its really a pity that they moved on to the v2...
Someone should make a petition to revert it back to v1.
Running m2m3 stack to a 175 ohm adapter to the zs5s.

Jan 23, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #27,203 of 63,842

Coming back to the ZS5v1 after a series of increasingly expensive purchases (rip wallet), its really a pity that they moved on to the v2...
Someone should make a petition to revert it back to v1.
Running m2m3 stack to a 175 ohm adapter to the zs5s.

But if they did that Soulsik and a bunch of other chumps would have jumped on the KZ hate-train and once again claimed fake drivers, KZ kills puppies etc. Still pissed his trash argument gained traction and ended up killing a great earphone.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #27,204 of 63,842
I'll just chime in with the suggestion that if you're going to spend $8 for a KZ upgrade cable that you instead get the newer design braided style. I really prefer it to the other 2 older styles that KZ has. They even make an identical version with MMCX connectors instead of the standard KZ dual pins which I think is about the best deal for an inexpensive MMCX cable. But it can be a matter of personal preference. To me its all about how the cable lies, the materials used for the case, how are the microphonics, how it looks, type of jack and connectors, even shape, for example flat cables, etc because I'm in the a cable is a cable camp when it comes to cables making a sonic difference.
Many believe this until they've had top kit and source material. I have no real opinion on the IEMs as they are cheap enough that it doesn't matter as long as you like them. I don't care about driver count or for their copycat design philosophy. I value quality over quantity and I'm sure the quality is plenty good enough for the price. The cable mentioned performs well above its price point but it does tangle easily and you may need to pinch the pins to expand them for other makes. (75 vs 78 diameter)

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #27,205 of 63,842
But if they did that Soulsik and a bunch of other chumps would have jumped on the KZ hate-train and once again claiming fake drivers, KZ kills puppies etc. Still pissed his trash argument gained traction and ended up killing a great earphone.

The truth is that KZ should reintroduce the ZS5 as a ZS7 by killing the ZS5ii, replace the plastic housing with aluminum housing but forego the vents found in the ZS6 faceplates. It looks like the ZS6 DD cradle still has the cavity for the BA to be set as it was in the ZS5(i). Knowledge Zenith can do it. If the community is vocal enough about it, perhaps they will listen. Maybe it's best to start a ZS5 (i) revival thread, just 'til it gets released.

Oh, and KZ, if you're reading this, the original blue and a soft powdered gold would be perfect.

The ED9 has been a long term success for KZ. I expect a ZS7(?) would be equally important to the company if they release it.

Everybody that wants this should speak up. I'd bet that this community is the target audience and as such has had quite an impact on KZ's notoriety, at least in the west.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #27,206 of 63,842
Welcome .,.Cheers.. Btw peeps, here's Techmanz initial ZSR showdown against several IEMS,,:)

The reviewer compares a modded earphone to a factory earphone and refers to all KZ eartips as trash - me thinks he needs to do a bit more homework before speaking out of turn any further. I am hoping to get back to listening to my Zsr and finish up a review here shortly (been postponed due to flu and everything sounding like it was coming from the bottom of a pit, even my HD700s sound bad so you know it is me and not them).

Based on my initial impressions, I'd say his personal bias is swaying him toward the warmer/darker combinations and away from anything even slightly bright. The Zsr has big bass and a bright treble - not as bright as Zs6 and not necessarily any brighter than Zst in my testing. It does have a slightly different spike as the Zst seems to be a bit further into the upper treble and the Zsr spike seems to be in the 7-8Khz range where it is very evident. My guess is his take was that the 7-8Khz spike is making the Zsr overly bright and somewhat sibilant while the 9kHz spike in the Zst is far enough up to be largely ignorable. It would be hard to argue that both the Zsr and Zst do not have more treble energy than they need.

Jan 23, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #27,207 of 63,842
The truth is that KZ should reintroduce the ZS5 as a ZS7 by killing the ZS5ii, replace the plastic housing with aluminum housing but forego the vents found in the ZS6 faceplates. It looks like the ZS6 DD cradle still has the cavity for the BA to be set as it was in the ZS5(i). Knowledge Zenith can do it. If the community is vocal enough about it, perhaps they will listen. Maybe it's best to start a ZS5 (i) revival thread, just 'til it gets released.

Oh, and KZ, if you're reading this, the original blue and a soft powdered gold would be perfect.

The ED9 has been a long term success for KZ. I expect a ZS7(?) would be equally important to the company if they release it.

Speak up if you want this! I'd bet that this community is the target audience and as such has had quite an impact on KZ's notoriety, at least in the west.

While this would be nice to see, the sad reality is that there's no chance of this happening.

What caused them to change the model in the first place (ie numerous people/publicity speaking up about the ZS5 v1 driver configuration) is not going to convince them to make a new model with basically the same setup (ie numerous people/publicity speaking up about a new IEM with the ZS5 v1 driver configuration)?

If it DID however, your list of improvements needs to include a crossover, as well as an impedance more like the ZS5 v2/ZS6 as opposed to the ZS5v1.

Along those same lines, you may get your wish but in a slightly different way. I predict that the ZS10 is going to be a ZS6, but with the 3rd BA driver in the 'missing' space of the hole where it was originally in the ZS5 v1. I think this is likely for the following 3 reasons:
  1. KZ already has all of the parts and molds to do this.
  2. The leaked ZSR Pro (later renamed ZS10) packaging from a long time ago showed an angular housing like the ZS5/ZS6.
  3. The ZS10 is supposed to be 2xDD + 3xBA, so the math works out to what I laid out above (ie 2xBA in nozzle like ZS5v2/ZS6 + 1xBA in internal hole where BA was in ZS5 v1).
I personally think they need to stop beating a dead horse and branch out with upgrades to other model lines. They've done bright treble to death. Let's mix it up with:
  • a new ATE but with a graphene driver
  • a new single BA micro model to the HDS line
  • a new ED model with a Beryllium driver, etc.
  • a legit Bluetooth 4.2/aptX offering like the Meizu EP51 or EP52
  • some MMCX IEMs (since they already make MMCX upgrade cables)
  • a full size wired headphone that's not a POS - something quality made at a budget price, like the Meizu HD50, 1More and Xiaomi headphones, etc

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #27,208 of 63,842

I measured mine at .6 per leg which is actually 1.2 ohms since there are 2 legs. The stock Campfire cable was .4 per leg or .8 total, so no, it's not like an 8 core or other thicker ga cables but it's still better than a plastics one etc and it's better balanced than some expensive after market cables I've heard.. I have that is lower resistance. It's a thin cable. It will have more resistance than a thick one. Not how I judge a cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 23, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #27,209 of 63,842
It would be hard to argue that both the Zsr and Zst do not have more treble energy than they need.
Why is that? Don't know about ZSR (as I don't have them) but Zst DO have more treble energy than I'd want/need.

Jan 23, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #27,210 of 63,842
Why is that? Don't know about ZSR (as I don't have them) but Zst DO have more treble energy than I'd want/need.

That was exactly my point, both have more energy than they need. I think we are arguing over turn of phrase and not differing opinions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back