Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 24, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #25,501 of 63,915
Hi,

could you please help me to make a set of nice sounding budget headphones with a smallest possible budget? I am new to this hobby. Headphones will be mainly used with Dragonfly v1.0c DAC feed from PC (Linux OS).

Now I am testing KZ ZS5 v1 on my system. It seems that KZ5 v1 are too sensitive despite they have 30% lower sound output than other KZ models. I usually keep volume just at 10-20%. So, which ZS5 version - higher impedance (v2) or lower impedance (v1) is better to use with Dragonfly?

A set of headphones - have spend some time to made as narrow list as possible tried to group into some categories:

1. Earbuds: EMX500 - 8.5 eur
2. Large stage, classical and acoustic music: KZ ZS 5 (with bass and treble fixes suggested by Slater) - 15 eur + 10 eur for braided cable and New Bee ear tips.
3. Casual listening, warm, more bass, street (with player) - KS ZS3 with Slater mod - 6.8 eur or KZ ES3 - 8.5 eur or Swing IE800 - 10.5 eur.
4. Movies, balanced - not too often: Sound Intone E6+ (lower sensitivity, any good and just enough?) - 5.5 eur or Urbanfun Hi-Fi MARK II (Beryllium) - 18.5 eur.

Which options makes most sense? What should be fixed on the list?

I don't listen to electronic, bass heavy music too often (< 20% of time).

Thank you!

ZS5v2 by far with your tastes. The Bees will tamp down the extra treble but they'll have better high end and soundstage compared to the sloped-off v1 and they'll just sound great.

Nov 24, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #25,502 of 63,915
A question to who has both SHP9500(s) and ZS5v2 or ZS6.

SHP9500 defines my treble limit. How is the treble of ZS5v2 or ZS6 compared to shp9500?
I have both and I don't find the ZS5 to have TWICE as much treble as the 9500s as some have suggested. I have NVX flats (with foam attenuators) on my 9500s and foams on my ZS5 so keep in mind, I have already done treble taming measures on both...without direct a/b yet, it seems like the ZS5 are definitely more sibilant (I only have about 20 hours of break in on the ZS5) but I don't find them to have insane piercing treble...they are on par with the 9500s....a little brighter by like 25% but in the same basic category in terms of sharpness.
I will A/B the ZS5s with some of my favoriite over ears this weekend if you want more detailed info

Nov 24, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #25,503 of 63,915
I have both and I don't find the ZS5 to have TWICE as much treble as the 9500s as some have suggested. I have NVX flats (with foam attenuators) on my 9500s and foams on my ZS5 so keep in mind, I have already done treble taming measures on both...without direct a/b yet, it seems like the ZS5 are definitely more sibilant (I only have about 20 hours of break in on the ZS5) but I don't find them to have insane piercing treble...they are on par with the 9500s....a little brighter by like 25% but in the same basic category in terms of sharpness.
I will A/B the ZS5s with some of my favoriite over ears this weekend if you want more detailed info
Considering ZS5s have much more bass than shp9500s, treble should not be much of a problem. In worst case, it should bother as much as shp9500s.

Nov 24, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #25,504 of 63,915
Considering ZS5s have much more bass than shp9500s, treble should not be much of a problem. In worst case, it should bother as much as shp9500s.
listening to the ZS5s right now. I really enjoy the bass...it's pretty well defined and accurate...I listen to a lot of stuff with stand up bass where it's enjoyable to 'hear' the movement of those long strings..(Soul Coughing/Mike Doughty....as one really obvious example, the bassline in Lou Reeds Walk on the Wild Side, or anything off of the Violent Femmes first album) and the Zs5s reproduce those sounds pretty well...not as good as my Fidelio L2s for example, but....I have NO complaints about the bass on the ZS5...I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the sibilance, but the bass is pretty satisfying.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #25,505 of 63,915
to clarify, are you talking about 9500s with stock pads or some version of HM5 pads? Those are two different headphones. I can't compare either in stock form...in modified form ZS5 (foam tips) has more bass, but not a lot more than a 9500s with HM5 pads.
There is some weird difference in the sound signature that I want to track down this weekend...yesterday I had on the ZS5, I took them off and put on the 9500s and it seemed like there was something kind of missing from the sound ...almost like the 9500s took the sound and tried to stretch it over too much soundstage...but I wasn't sitting and critically listening, it was a transitory observation...

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #25,506 of 63,915
The ZS5 are a REALLY engaging headphone. I haven't seen this mentioned a lot but there is something about the way that the ZS5 presents sound that really hooks me. I have only had them a few days, but every time I have a chance to put them on and give them a listen I wind up spending hours with them on.
I'll be frank, I have ADD, I bounce around a lot, I'm lucky in life, I am not tied to doing a lot of things I don't want to, so it takes something pretty compelling to hold my interest for any length of time....I
For example? I was recently given a Gibson SG ( replica :wink: ) and a Peavey amp and am I'm learning to play an instrument for the first time at 48 years old...that's SUPER INTERESTING and I can spend four hours playing a D chord.....the ZS5s are about as engaging and as much as a time machine (as in: I jump ahead 4 hours) and as fun as that guitar.
they are the kind of headphones that lend themselves to going down rabbit holes...

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #25,507 of 63,915
In my quest for tip that work for me I once again stumbled upon a remark about foam filled silicone tips. But this time some was helpful enough to provide links to some of the original discussions. The one suggestion of buying some of the ultra cheap Chinese foamies without the inner more rigid plastic tube that goes over the nozzle. Then cutting them short and placing them inside the silicone tip sounds great. Way easier than buying ear plugs and boring a large enough hole by hand, etc.

But I'm having a hard time finding those ultra cheap foamies in less than a 100 pair quantity. I really don't need $35 worth of cheap foamies. Can anyone help me out here? A half dozen pairs or just a single S, M and L assortment would be good enough for proof of concept. Perhaps @Slater can help me out? He seems to have links to everything!

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #25,508 of 63,915
In my quest for tip that work for me I once again stumbled upon a remark about foam filled silicone tips. But this time some was helpful enough to provide links to some of the original discussions. The one suggestion of buying some of the ultra cheap Chinese foamies without the inner more rigid plastic tube that goes over the nozzle. Then cutting them short and placing them inside the silicone tip sounds great. Way easier than buying ear plugs and boring a large enough hole by hand, etc.

But I'm having a hard time finding those ultra cheap foamies in less than a 100 pair quantity. I really don't need $35 worth of cheap foamies. Can anyone help me out here? A half dozen pairs or just a single S, M and L assortment would be good enough for proof of concept. Perhaps @Slater can help me out? He seems to have links to everything!
Just do the right thing.....,. and buy $35.00 of weird chinese foam, then send some of it to whoever asks you to, for the next however many years until you run out of foam...like Tyler Durden would do.

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #25,509 of 63,915
The ZS5 are a REALLY engaging headphone. I haven't seen this mentioned a lot but there is something about the way that the ZS5 presents sound that really hooks me. I have only had them a few days, but every time I have a chance to put them on and give them a listen I wind up spending hours with them on.
I'll be frank, I have ADD, I bounce around a lot, I'm lucky in life, I am not tied to doing a lot of things I don't want to, so it takes something pretty compelling to hold my interest for any length of time....I
For example? I was recently given a Gibson SG ( replica :wink: ) and a Peavey amp and am I'm learning to play an instrument for the first time at 48 years old...that's SUPER INTERESTING and I can spend four hours playing a D chord.....the ZS5s are about as engaging and as much as a time machine (as in: I jump ahead 4 hours) and as fun as that guitar.
they are the kind of headphones that lend themselves to going down rabbit holes...
and hip hop is crazy fun on them, since nobody asked.

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #25,510 of 63,915

KZ Gel Foams fit that description and GearBest has been throwing up $0.99 deals on them left and right recently.

Can probably find them on ali too of course.

KZ 3 Pair Sponge In-ear Earbud for Earphones

https://www.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_605421.html?lkid=10690141

0,99$ with the code: BlackFriday85

30pcs for promo

HK,US,CA,MY,TW,GB,IE,AU,NZ,IN,SG,ZA,MK,GR,NL,PL,HU,TR,SK,RO,CZ,HR,BG,SI,RS
This is still active btw.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #25,511 of 63,915
I can't understand what you mean
Could you please show me with a pic or a photo what should i do?
Thanks a lot for the help

Please excuse the low quality photo.

Do you see where the needle is pointing in this photo? There is a very small round hole. It helps vent pressure when you put the IEM in your ear. If this hole is clogged it can cause problems such as driver flex and "positive pressure" when you insert the IEM in your ear.

Push the tip of a small needle down into that hole to make sure it is clear.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, and please let us know if that solves your problem!

IMG-0593.JPG

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #25,512 of 63,915
Please excuse the low quality photo.

Do you see where the needle is pointing in this photo? There is a very small round hole. It helps vent pressure when you put the IEM in your ear. If this hole is clogged it can cause problems such as driver flex and "positive pressure" when you insert the IEM in your ear.

Push the tip of a small needle down into that hole to make sure it is clear.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, and please let us know if that solves your problem!

it helps to read Slaters posts in a German Scientist voice.
"Do you see ver the needle is POINTING!?" try reading them that way, and see if that helps...

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #25,514 of 63,915

Here you go chief: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10p...m-memory-foam-eartips-for-in/32732040972.html

You pick the color, the model (T500 for ZS5/ZS6, or Txxx for blah blah), and the OD size (S,M,L). You can also do any combination as well. All come in a plastic case.

Ordered numerous times from that seller; never had a problem.

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #25,515 of 63,915
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back