Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 24, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #25,517 of 63,836
Here you go chief: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10p...m-memory-foam-eartips-for-in/32732040972.html

You pick the color, the model (T500 for ZS5/ZS6, or Txxx for blah blah), and the OD size (S,M,L). You can also do any combination as well. All come in a plastic case.

Ordered numerous times from that seller; never had a problem.
Those have cores, didn't @bsoplinger want the core-less ones? :p
(but you can carefully tear out the core and when you do, they fit easier over wider silicone tips, rather than having to stretch a KZ foamie over them)

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #25,518 of 63,836
Here you go chief: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10p...m-memory-foam-eartips-for-in/32732040972.html

You pick the color, the model (T500 for ZS5/ZS6, or Txxx for blah blah), and the OD size (S,M,L). You can also do any combination as well. All come in a plastic case.

Ordered numerous times from that seller; never had a problem.
this is my next order man. thanks...I am just getting used to my IEMs and figuring out which tips I need before I order....but I have had the link saved for a while.

Nov 24, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #25,519 of 63,836
Those have cores, didn't @bsoplinger want the core-less ones? :p
(but you can carefully tear out the core and when you do, they fit easier over wider silicone tips, rather than having to stretch a KZ foamie over them)

Oh, @bsoplinger wanted coreless? Sorry I missed that part (it's late LOL).

Coreless are here, but I have no personal experience with them. A couple mention slow rebound foam, which are preferable IMO.
The KZs gel tips that come with the ATE are hard as a rock. Definitely NOT slow rebound. I don't know how any of the above compare. The first set I linked claim to be KZ.

If it was me I would try the 3rd link down, as there is the most reviews (and cool color choices LOL). The 5th link down looks good too.

Update: I just ordered the 3rd link down. I'm tired of punching lopsided holes in foam earplugs, and I figure I need to try out what I'm recommending LOL

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #25,520 of 63,836
this is my next order man. thanks...I am just getting used to my IEMs and figuring out which tips I need before I order....but I have had the link saved for a while.

Which IEMs are you considering those tips for buddy?

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #25,522 of 63,836
Could you please suggest if lower sensitivity / volume headphones could be better with Dragonfly v1.0c? It seems that ZS5 v2 could be the best. ANY other good chooses for Dragonfly v1.0c DAC?

ZS5v2 by far with your tastes. The Bees will tamp down the extra treble but they'll have better high end and soundstage compared to the sloped-off v1 and they'll just sound great.

Thank you!

are you planning on getting a pair for each of your 4 categories?
why get 4 pair of mediocre headphones, when you could spend the same (or less) on a really decent pair and use them for everything?

The only ONE is OK.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:52 AM Post #25,523 of 63,836
Could you please suggest if lower sensitivity / volume headphones could be better with Dragonfly v1.0c? It seems that ZS5 v2 could be the best. ANY other good chooses for Dragonfly v1.0c DAC?

Thank you!

The only ONE is OK.

I concur with the recommendation on the ZS5. I think you'd be really happy with it. Just plan on doing at least a set of foam tips. If it's still too much for you, try the mods as the mods are very easy and effective.

Is the ZS5 perfect? No, but nothing is perfect.

Nov 25, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #25,524 of 63,836
Now I am testing KZ ZS5 v1 on my system. It seems that KZ5 v1 are too sensitive despite they have 30% lower sound output than other KZ models. I usually keep volume just at 10-20%. So, which ZS5 version - higher impedance (v2) or lower impedance (v1) is better to use with Dragonfly?
ZS6 (109 dB/mW / 127 dB/V) (and as such probably ZS5v2, but no actual figures on that) should be quite a bit more sensitive than ZS5v1 (99 dB/mW / 122 dB/V):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1606#post-13808066
(and less current hungry ZS6/ZS5v2 = easier to drive).

So what exactly do you mean by "too sensitive" - noise floor / hissing ? Or do you just want more room to play on your volume control?

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #25,526 of 63,836
Oh, @bsoplinger wanted coreless? Sorry I missed that part (it's late LOL).…
Update: I just ordered the 3rd link down. I'm tired of punching lopsided holes in foam earplugs, and I figure I need to try out what I'm recommending LOL
Too funny. But yeah, I liked the suggestion to try the coreless (couldn't think of the appropriate term when I posted before) since its a PITA using the leather working single punches with ear plugs; my current method. If I had a decent expensive hole punch it might be good enough but I don't. Didn't have much need to be making holes in things so the simple leather punches were enough. Thanks for finding a smaller quantity than the 100 I had.

Nov 25, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #25,527 of 63,836
Nov 25, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #25,528 of 63,836
any idea where to get the metal mesh grille for the zs5 please? what's the correct size please?
How about aliexpress?
Lot of 10 @ $1.99: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dus...sh-3-8mm-4mm-4-2mm-4-7mm-5mm/32800734441.html
Lot of 100 @ $6.50: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ones-shell-steel-mesh/923848_32288422871.html
(send a message to the seller along with your order to specify sizes)

As for size, 4.7mm is a perfect fit (I've replaced a few with that size) - but you should check the BA placement in your ZS5 - if the nozzles stick up above the screen lip, you might need to get tricky, as the stock screens are approx 5mm (maybe a touch larger even?) and then edge rolled to fit and get a slight stand off height above the lip.

Nov 25, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #25,529 of 63,836
Could you please recommend second (and third) best headphones (I have more that 3 year old muddy Panasonic TCM125 only):
1. Which complements ZS5 best. Different sound signature, cheap but not bad, for wife. A bit hard for me to describe and decide now: more warm or flat. Casual. Street ones. With Bluetooth cable. For electronic music.
2. Are suitable best for Dragonfly v1.0c (1,8V) DAC (< 100 dB/mV)?
3. I have wrote a bit about my tastes and options I am thinking about in my first head-fi.org message (in the bottom of this post).

Can I expect something nice from 5,5 eur Sound Intone E6+ (should be relatively balanced, flat)? Or should I better go with KZ ZS3? ES3? Swing IE800?

EMX500? Are there any less sensitive but great sounding budget earbuds?

Is it worth to have a bit more expensive ones: Urbanfun Hi-Fi MARK II (Beryllium)?

I concur with the recommendation on the ZS5. I think you'd be really happy with it. Just plan on doing at least a set of foam tips. If it's still too much for you, try the mods as the mods are very easy and effective.

Is the ZS5 perfect? No, but nothing is perfect.

So I need complementary headphones?

ZS6 (109 dB/mW / 127 dB/V) (and as such probably ZS5v2, but no actual figures on that) should be quite a bit more sensitive than ZS5v1 (99 dB/mW / 122 dB/V):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1606#post-13808066
(and less current hungry ZS6/ZS5v2 = easier to drive).

So what exactly do you mean by "too sensitive" - noise floor / hissing ? Or do you just want more room to play on your volume control?

Exactly, noise floor / hissing. When I am listening to dynamic classical music records I have to keep the sound level of Dragonfly v1.0c very low even on ZS5v1 already. I think that buying higher sensitivity headphones would be nonse.

Hi,

could you please help me to make a set of nice sounding budget headphones with a smallest possible budget? I am new to this hobby. Headphones will be mainly used with Dragonfly v1.0c DAC feed from PC (Linux OS).

Now I am testing KZ ZS5 v1 on my system. It seems that KZ5 v1 are too sensitive despite they have 30% lower sound output than other KZ models. I usually keep volume just at 10-20%. So, which ZS5 version - higher impedance (v2) or lower impedance (v1) is better to use with Dragonfly?

A set of headphones - have spend some time to made as narrow list as possible tried to group into some categories:

1. Earbuds: EMX500 - 8.5 eur
2. Large stage, classical and acoustic music: KZ ZS 5 (with bass and treble fixes suggested by Slater) - 15 eur + 10 eur for braided cable and New Bee ear tips.
3. Casual listening, warm, more bass, street (with player) - KS ZS3 with Slater mod - 6.8 eur or KZ ES3 - 8.5 eur or Swing IE800 - 10.5 eur.
4. Movies, balanced - not too often: Sound Intone E6+ (lower sensitivity, any good and just enough?) - 5.5 eur or Urbanfun Hi-Fi MARK II (Beryllium) - 18.5 eur.

Which options makes most sense? What should be fixed on the list?

I don't listen to electronic, bass heavy music too often (< 20% of time).

Thank you!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #25,530 of 63,836
Could you please recommend second best headphones (I have more that 3 year old muddy Panasonic TCM125 only):
1. Which complements ZS5 best. Different sound signature, cheap but not bad, for wife. A bit hard for me to describe and decide now: more warm or flat. Casual. Street ones.
2. Are suitable best for Dragonfly v1.0c (1,8V) DAC (< 100 dB/mV)?
3. I have wrote a bit about my tastes and options I am thinking about in my first head-fi.org message (in the bottom of this post).

Can I expect something nice from 5,5 eur Sound Intone E6+ (should be relatively balanced, flat)? Or should I better go with KZ ZS3? ES3? Swing IE800?

EMX500? Are there any less sensitive but great sounding budget earbuds?

Is it worth to have a bit more expensive ones: Urbanfun Hi-Fi MARK II (Beryllium)?
Personally I found the Urbanfun Hi-Fi v2 hybrid to be a wonderful compliment to a ZS5v1, and it was quite frequently my choice when I wasn't happy with the ZS5 for some reason (usually when I want to crank the volume a bit more and a touch of harshness starts showing on the ZS5, also movies/tv).
(I have the hybrid BA+Beryllium DD one, not one of the single DD Beryllium Urbanfuns)

ZS3/ES3 are a bit more bass tilted, very fun sounding generally, but they rarely get much ear time from me... :shrug:

You might want to try asking over in the ChiFi threads though. :wink:
Exactly, noise floor / hissing. When I am listening to dynamic classical music records I have to keep the sound level of Dragonfly v1.0c very low even on ZS5v1 already. I think that buying higher sensitivity headphones would be nonse.
So something less sensitive would reduce / eliminate the hissing, but that's going to limit your choices quite significantly... I have little experience on the subject of low sensitivity IEMs personally...

But as a fellow someone who also hears an noise floor on almost everything, how about a completely different option? If you can live with a 1-1.5 ohm output impedance, a voltage divider will solve all your woes and let you use most phones without an annoying noise floor - iFi IEMatch / Ear Buddy, or you can make your own voltage divider too (they're quite simple and cheap to make, but iFi's use very high quality and well matched components).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back