Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 6, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #22,922 of 63,864
You're comparing graphs from different sources and different compensation schemes...

And you're comparing earphones with very different tuning orientations... :shrug:

No one is trying to say ZSTs are reference tuned (because they're not...)

You could just as easily pick through that data and find "squiggly" graphs for "big names" too... so what? People aren't allowed to use anything but reference tuning?
Firstly, all those graphs are from the same source with an identical compensation scheme. You missed the fact that I gave links from a single site.
Secondly, I'm talking about general variation of points on y axis in a graph - and here it is obvious that Chifi frequency responses are way more unrefined. I'm not delving into the fact that different people are deaf in their own ways and might need different tuning than the average person, to perceive the sound as flat.
Thirdly, no, big names usually have quite flat graphs even for older models.
And, no, people can listen to whatever they want. My point is that KZ is miles behind even a decade old big brand models in terms of having a decent looking frequency response graph.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #22,923 of 63,864
My favorite thing is plugging chi-fi **** into a Mojo. It just feels so unnecessary, but works so well.
Whatever works, works. I run just about everything through a HiFime Sabre 9018 usb DAC into a Cayin C5 amp. Plays well with everything from the KZ zs5 to my Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohm. Doesn't do so great with my Koss ESP-6, but those need power by the watt out of speaker taps...

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #22,925 of 63,864
Firstly, all those graphs are from the same source with an identical compensation scheme. You missed the fact that I gave links from a single site.
Secondly, I'm talking about general variation of points on y axis in a graph
But you go on to compare them to the graphs here and on audiobudget

and here it is obvious that Chifi frequency responses are way more unrefined. I'm not delving into the fact that different people are deaf in their own ways and might need different tuning than the average person, to perceive the sound as flat.
And, no, people can listen to whatever they want. My point is that KZ is miles behind even a decade old big brand models in terms of having a decent looking frequency response graph.
This all just strikes me as rather contradictory. If I pulled up random Shure graphs that "aren't flat", then you'd tell me that's tuning. But KZ ones not being flat is obviously just "random haphazard drivers thrown in a shell". That seems to be about the gist of your point?

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #22,926 of 63,864
Secondly, I'm talking about general variation of points on y axis in a graph - and here it is obvious that Chifi frequency responses are way more unrefined. I'm not delving into the fact that different people are deaf in their own ways and might need different tuning than the average person, to perceive the sound as flat.

The graphs certainly do suggest that their response north of about 2k is erratic, especially when comparing to professional grade full sized speakers (and possibly other IEM speakers)...but then I'm always leery of home testing environments and accuracy anyway. The next step would be to figure out if this is driver related, tuning related, or crossover related.

Luckily my own personal hearing rolls off pretty severely by somewhere between 10/12k.

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #22,927 of 63,864
Why even say that ? We are talking about cheap multidrivers stuff, clearly not tuned for be used for monitoring.

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #22,928 of 63,864
Damn that's good.

Thank you. In the studio now doing a follow up. :) The full album is free/streaming at that soundcloud account. Our producer has pretty precise hearing and is a bit of a gear tweak (vintage ribbon mics, tube compressors) and we used a lot of legit vintage gear ('48 Hammond/leslie, clav, rhodes, etc) , so it's actually pretty good listen on phones. It also isn't overly compressed or squashed in the FR.

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #22,930 of 63,864
And the reason this bothers me is because it is a spear in completely the wrong direction, all the things you're critiquing them on are related to how they don't match your preferred tuning, or what you consider to be "acceptable measurements" (again, your preferred tuning).

If you want to complain about KZ tuning, let's talk about the ES3's tuning issues - the accuracy of hitting the tuning they were going for is pretty obviously at least somewhat sub-par as seen in those measurements. And I've tried, it's not all that hard to match them using the same tuning mechanics that KZ's factory failed to use effectively (excess glue) or that was ruined during shipping (maybe foam displaced?). That seems like a much more relevant issue with KZ falling short in some regards to tuning their drivers effectively.

But in that regards they fall squarely within the expectations of their price bracket.

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #22,931 of 63,864
But you go on to compare them to the graphs here and on audiobudget

This all just strikes me as rather contradictory. If I pulled up random Shure graphs that "aren't flat", then you'd tell me that's tuning. But KZ ones not being flat is obviously just "random haphazard drivers thrown in a shell". That seems to be about the gist of your point?

I was just comparing to the Shure IEMs, since they're sort of standard for stage monitoring. Definitely not close to ruler flat above 2k. Doesn't have the attenuation in the 4k range though...but that could be there because so many complained about the 5's sibilance...

Luckily none of us listen with charts and graphs but with our ears!

shure_se535_graph_comparison.jpg

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #22,932 of 63,864
Oct 6, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #22,933 of 63,864

And those older models sound like crap sandwiches next to newer stuff. Flat does not inherently mean it's going to be worth a ****.

Oct 6, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #22,935 of 63,864
Had a mixed time with the ZS5s. Some things sound brilliant. Other things are fatiguing. Some EQing is helpful, other not so much.

But.

The stuff they DO sound good with, sounds really good. Best KZ I've heard good.

But other stuff, is basically unlistenable.

So... Kinda a mixed bag.

Worth keeping because of the comfort, and because they can sound great. It just depends.

Now I need to decide if a 6 is in my future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back