Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Sep 30, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #22,486 of 63,915
es3 and first zs5 arrived. bought it at gearbest on september the 7th, gray without mic, exactly after seeing the pic of one with 2 BAs in the nozzle, which was purchased at gb (gray without mic).
well, mine is v1. at certain light, i could see two small circles, but after waiting for the proper light, found that there is only 1 ba at the nozzle; the two circles were the shoulders of the ba, with the ba tube between them.
zs6 is near to arrive, and also a second try of zs5 (i'd wish it is v2, just to compare their measurements; if isn't, i'll have an spare v1 pair), and my "pro" rig will be ready to measure all them.

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #22,487 of 63,915
es3 and first zs5 arrived. bought it at gearbest on september the 7th, gray without mic, exactly after seeing the pic of one with 2 BAs in the nozzle, which was purchased at gb (gray without mic).
well, mine is v1. at certain light, i could see two small circles, but after waiting for the proper light, found that there is only 1 ba at the nozzle; the two circles were the shoulders of the ba, with the ba tube between them.
zs6 is near to arrive, and also a second try of zs5 (i'd wish it is v2, just to compare their measurements; if isn't, i'll have an spare v1 pair), and my "pro" rig will be ready to measure all them.

I'm definitely concerned that if the 2nd BA in the nozzle spikes the treble the ZS6 might lose a lot of the fun of the sound, but we'll see when it arrives on Wednesday.

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #22,488 of 63,915
Which budget cable, sillicone&foam tips and case do you recommend for KZ ZS6 (ZS5) ?

Do newer silver cables really oxidize? Is Wooeast cable any good?
Do you recommend Spinfits ?

Do you recommend this case?:
rBn6un.png

I recommend that case - they are great and I have quite a few of them. Most don’t have the KZ logo anymore though, but it’s still the same case.

Most KZ silver cables turn green. It doesn’t hurt anything though.

I’m not really a fan of Spinfits. Haven’t really found an IEM where they’re superior to any of my other tips. But certainly give them a try, because there are people that like them so YMMV.

As far as the cable seller you mentioned, they are banned from HeadFi - there’s a lot of other sellers to choose from.

Good luck!

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #22,489 of 63,915
I ordered a second pair of ZS5s from Gearbest on 14th September and they just arrived today: Grey, no mike, definitely version two. I can't get them to show up in pictures but I can see two narrow strips, for want of a better word, in the nozzle, whereas I can only see one with my original blue ones. They're nothing like treble cannons to me and I would say they reolve a bit better than the originals. It's not a huge difference but it is noticeable (unless my brain is playing tricks on me of course). Listening to Back in Black, the cymbals are crisper and the snare drum has more impact. Seem to have plenty of bass too, whereas with the originals I kept taping off the vents to get more bass (then taking off the tape because I hate driver flex, then putting it back on again because I felt the bass was lacking).

I also got the ES3s and ZSEs. Not sure what I think of the ES3s yet although they sound fine. Unfortunately the right side of the ZSE is defective - almost no sound coming out - so I've requested a replacement. Does anybody know if Gearbest will insist I send the defective pair back and if so, will they refund the shipping?

What tips did you use on your ZS5 rev.2? Foam tips?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #22,490 of 63,915
Like it wasn't confusing enough... It appears that ZS5 v2 and ZS6 had some issues in the treble which might have been resolved in some later batches? What a crazy bunch of QC issues, this is not really acceptable in this 40-50$ price range if you ask me. Think about what you're getting in the box, which is to say almost unusable rubbery cable and no case, one type of tips and that's it? There are oh so many IEMs in this price range that do all of those things so much better including QC and comparable sound quality. This sounds very negative but I am just being realistic, the value of KZ flagship is compromised due to some sloppy work all around. I hope for the best when it comes to KZ, but they need to step it up, or return to <20$ price range...

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #22,491 of 63,915
So my wife likes those free ED12s I got. I only just opened the box as I thought I might have to return them.

Pleasantly surprised they were different colours!

They... Well... I prefer the ZSTs and ZS3s.

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #22,492 of 63,915
Like it wasn't confusing enough... It appears that ZS5 v2 and ZS6 had some issues in the treble which might have been resolved in some later batches? What a crazy bunch of QC issues, this is not really acceptable in this 40-50$ price range if you ask me. Think about what you're getting in the box, which is to say almost unusable rubbery cable and no case, one type of tips and that's it? There are oh so many IEMs in this price range that do all of those things so much better including QC and comparable sound quality. This sounds very negative but I am just being realistic, the value of KZ flagship is compromised due to some sloppy work all around. I hope for the best when it comes to KZ, but they need to step it up, or return to <20$ price range...

The cable doesn't bother me. I also dislike this idea that "not accept at this price range." Forty bucks is basically pocket change in this hobby.

Now, I'm definitely a bit alarmed at these QC issues. If it's true the first batch of ZS6 had treble issues, I'm going to see what happens with mine, because I rather like the balance on the 5 v1. If the 6 is a treble cannon like that one graph I saw, I might just give the things away.

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #22,493 of 63,915
with the originals I kept taping off the vents to get more bass (then taking off the tape because I hate driver flex, then putting it back on again because I felt the bass was lacking).
You get driver flex just taping the back vent? Do the side vents get completely covered when you're using them?

Just curious because I've played with a lot of tape all over my ZS5s for various reasons and I've never gotten flex unless I completely closed every vent...

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:46 PM Post #22,494 of 63,915
The cable doesn't bother me. I also dislike this idea that "not accept at this price range." Forty bucks is basically pocket change in this hobby.

Now, I'm definitely a bit alarmed at these QC issues. If it's true the first batch of ZS6 had treble issues, I'm going to see what happens with mine, because I rather like the balance on the 5 v1. If the 6 is a treble cannon like that one graph I saw, I might just give the things away.

Yeah, they are in a budget segment, but this is not what it used to be. Compared to others 'in the price range', they are on the bad side of things. The only thing that should've been a saving grace was the sound, and so far it looks way too messy to tell definitively. They only thing we know is that there were at least some units which were bad.

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #22,495 of 63,915
Yeah, they are in a budget segment, but this is not what it used to be. Compared to others 'in the price range', they are on the bad side of things. The only thing that should've been a saving grace was the sound, and so far it looks way too messy to tell definitively. They only thing we know is that there were at least some units which were bad.

That's my main thing. If the guts on the IEM are good, then maybe they kept it cheap by not giving it a fancy case or cable. Considering with most brands $100 is basically the entry fee I think some cheap aspects are a-okay.

The ZS5 knocked it out of the park, so we'll see what the 6 is like once I get it.

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #22,497 of 63,915
You get driver flex just taping the back vent? Do the side vents get completely covered when you're using them?

Just curious because I've played with a lot of tape all over my ZS5s for various reasons and I've never gotten flex unless I completely closed every vent...
Blocking the small holes that is on the same side of the shell as the nozzle, yes. It creates a vacuum effect in my ears - if it isn't driver flex then it's my ears crackling like mad. Either way, I'm not a big fan of the sensation!

Sep 30, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #22,498 of 63,915
I'd better check mine again then - I would swear they sound better but perhaps I'm just seeing the shoulders of the BA too.

EDIT: No - definitely 2 circles - they are on either side of the nozzle. If they were the shoulders of a single BA, that BA would be filling the whole nozzle.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #22,499 of 63,915
If you remember, when the ZST first released it was very bad. Everybody bought it said that they were bad.

Then after 1 month KZ adjusted them and ZST stayed the best until zs5.

I am sure zs6 will be fixed. But you are right, these should not be happened even at these price range.

I think ZS6 will be the best till ZS10 arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back