Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 28, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #20,357 of 64,152
So the ZS6 is the same innards as zs5 but with a more premium casing. Perhaps the aluminum housing can change the sound a bit.

Looking forward to the ZS7 with CA logo next!

I'm waiting for CA to make a budget earbud using a KZ shell.

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #20,358 of 64,152
So the ZS6 is the same innards as zs5 but with a more premium casing. Perhaps the aluminum housing can change the sound a bit.
Hopefully it doesn't hurt the sound.

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #20,361 of 64,152
I wonder what motivated KZ to rehouse the ZS5 in a more Andromeda-like shell.

Do you guys think they are leaning more towards being a status symbol with the ZS6, such as brand name spin offs like abibas / adidas? I personally am interested because I love machined metal shells...

Money.

The difference between IEMs in the ATx line and the EDx line are often just a different color, different type of plastic shell, or the location of a vent hole. A minor tweak, and you have a new model. New model = more sales. More sales = more money. More money = more yachts and Gulfstream G650s.

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #20,362 of 64,152
I am going through the opposite. I got my ZS5's first, followed by the EMI CI880 and the Urbanfun last. I keep going back and forth between these three, but so far, I think the Urbanfun is underrrated, at least on my setup, which is also a Nexus 6p. I am running Flash kernel with EX Kernel Manager on mine, so I am boosting the volume by 8dB. I also use the Ainur Audio stuff to basically just feed everything through the DAC without messing with it. I also use Neutron music player, without the EQ so far, and I am very happy with the output. It plays all of these iems as loud as I would ever care to listen to them.

But, of the three iems, the ZS5s and the Urbanfuns are close. The Urbanfuns have better soundstaging than some here give them credit for. So far, the basic difference is that their low end is a touch better, and female vocals are not quite as recessed as the ZS5. These are both good qualities for me. Today, I listened to Prisoner, by the Jezabels, an Aussie Indy group. For me, the Urbanfun was my favorite on this. For classical, I think the ZS5 is edging it out a bit still...

Keep in mind, this is my source, my ears, and my sound preference, so as always, YMMV!

I used to boost the gain too, as I'm running ElementalX and EXKM as well, but that increases the background noise as well, so I decided to roll back to +0 dB. As for other mods, I flashed ViPER4Arise, but I don't even use it. ElementalX has this "Audio high performance mode" that should enhance the DAC's working mode and I keep it activated. I stumbled upon that Ainur mod a few months ago, but I didn't bother trying it. Is it worth it?
Now, back on topic (well, not really)... I'm about to pull the trigger on the EMI CI880. Should I? You decide! :grin:

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #20,363 of 64,152
Why Knowledge Zenith still doesn't have an official web page?

Looking forward to the ZS7 with CA logo next!

These are also different:
1.jpg 2.jpg

3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #20,364 of 64,152
Yeah, so far the only music that isn't sounding great with my Benjie S5/KZ ZS5 rig is classical music and some 70s-era prog.

Even when I boost the volume all the way, the sound is anemic.

Hoping that a FiiO A3 helps with that.

Did for me.

Aug 28, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #20,365 of 64,152
As far as I can spot, these appear to be all of the differences between ZS5 and ZS6:
  • Metal vs plastic shells (plus different colors)
  • Replaced vent lines on the seam to semi-open back (has to have massive impact to the overall sound), keeps the front vent
  • Adds 3 metal screws to the backplate
  • Different bore - base of the bore is narrower and different mesh on the ending
  • Minor design changes - front shell next to nozzle has 1 more layer, might improve ergonomics, slightly different housing where connector is - squared off vs rounded
I could've missed something, there are some fine differences. I think that the biggest impact on the sound will not come from switching plastic for metal but the change in venting. I could be wrong here because it is possible that these 3 large openings are actually just for the looks and are hiding some very small vent holes, but this is highly unlikely.

Aug 28, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #20,366 of 64,152
100-New-Design-KZ-ZS6-Earphone-HIFI-Noise-Isolating-Stereo-Headset-with-Microphone-for-Iphone-Mobile.jpg_640x640.jpg

The red looks nice :) The new colors and screws and slicing off from the rounded cable connector part of the ZS5 all improvements in the looks dept. to me! The three vents could have been with a slightly longer one in the middle if it didn't hurt the tuning(as speculated they may not be totally opened as much as it looks it looks). Of course they seem to look less plasticky which is yet another improvement in the looks dept.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #20,367 of 64,152
Mine same here too i am liking tuning of zse more than zs5 its all about the bass in zse its so funny than rock zircon my first impression was same but i experienced real burn in after i kept it for 5hrs playing songs

Im loving the sound of my zse when properly amped and a little burn in...like almost as much as zs5...almost...

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #20,368 of 64,152
I have already placed an order on Aliexpress. It is pre-order now and it could be shipped in 10 of September. I’d recommend DD-Audio Store on Aliexpress as the sales Lillian is so nice and with good communication. They will also promise to send us with another special gift for this new KZ ZS6.

Im loving the sound of my zse when properly amped and a little burn in...like almost as much as zs5...almost...
Comparing the price, ZSE could be higher recommendation. haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back