Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 28, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #20,326 of 64,373
Yeah I was just going to edit after I saw that aliexpress link showing the smooth nozzles. Can anyone suggest a logical reason as to why KZ is doing this?
Most people don't experience any issues with the nozzles. With my unit, I can put spin fit CP-240 (which requires a lot of force to come out of my ears) and it is so firm, absolutely not even close to coming off without some serious pulling with hands. Have no issues with any comply tips, even ones with largest hole, I think it's 5mm or something like that. The nozzle gives a lot of surface area to work with, so even if something was to fall of it, slight modifications to tips could work. Perhaps putting a few layers of clear tape on the nozzle could widen it, this just looks so easy to do.
I had Senn IE800 and sold it because of its bore, try to fit any sort of tips on that thing and you are in some huge problems. Even the original ones started to fall off after some time, absolute garbage nozzle for some serious money. Trust me, ZS5's nozzle is perfect to work with.
As to why they didn't include a small indentation, it was probably because it affected sound in some wrong way, maybe they didn't want to mess with BA driver inside the nozzle, maybe it was just to cut costs of additional manufacturing processes.

EDIT: Just saw that ZST has some sort of a plastic ring on the nozzle, and it also has BA driver inside the bore so, that theory is out of the picture.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #20,327 of 64,373
Yeah I was just going to edit after I saw that aliexpress link showing the smooth nozzles. Can anyone suggest a logical reason as to why KZ is doing this?
Well a few TOTL products include a smooth nozzle design - that would lead me to believe there's a chance it's not an entirely arbitrary choice.

I can hazard a guess though: if the shell really is involved in sound conduction in a significant way, notching the nozzle might be quite relevant somehow?

Now I don't work in the industry, so that's just a guess - but if that's even in the ballpark of a right answer, then anyone that could actually answer you definitively might have good reason to not want to do so.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #20,329 of 64,373
Well a few TOTL products include a smooth nozzle design - that would lead me to believe there's a chance it's not an entirely arbitrary choice.

I can hazard a guess though: if the shell really is involved in sound conduction in a significant way, notching the nozzle might be quite relevant somehow?

Now I don't work in the industry, so that's just a guess - but if that's even in the ballpark of a right answer, then anyone that could actually answer you definitively might have good reason to not want to do so.
Given how only a few people mentioned having problems with this, I think it's safe to say that no one is getting hurt if it is done only to save a few cents per unit. It also could've been a mundane decision, they saw that it works and just stopped even talking about whether they could improve it or not, and taking into account that ZS5 generally didn't show any problems in that area, why not keep it for ZS6. The important thing is that they are fixing one issue at a time, we will get metal design now with much more premium looking IEM, hopefully they will also find a way to improve their 2 pin connection and more importantly, their ultra bad memory wire.. Cables are replaceable, so this is not even an issue, but 2 pin connectors don't feel secure on my ZS5, I live in a constant fear that they will disconnect and fall when I take them out and put them around my neck while I'm walking. MMCX has served me better in this regard, but this one ages in a not so good way. Maybe it's too much to expect from budget company to set a new standard for connectors...

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #20,330 of 64,373
That's interesting... all of mine fit pretty absurdly tightly and I've put quite a few disconnect cycles on one pair (as in several hundred).

Well, no one ever said manufacturing tolerances were KZ's strong suit. :shrug:

PS: Seems like it would be safe to use a standard 0.78mm cable if your stock 0.75mm ones don't fit tightly enough? I know it's not an ideal solution but... that or some glue? :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #20,331 of 64,373
: I

Why, Please?
i think the zse does certain things very well, esp. midrange + low end is well controlled. however i think they need an amp to reach their potential and their fit is awkward for me. someone who is more brightness-phobic would appreciate these.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #20,332 of 64,373
I had a very frustrating situation with tips slipping off of the ZS5 because the nozzles are perfectly smooth.
I haven't had that issue with my ZS5s. My Comply tips are very secure.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #20,333 of 64,373
So the ZS6 will be available in black, green and red

Black, please. :ksc75smile:

I was actually thinking about painting my gray ZS5's black with some model paint.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #20,334 of 64,373
Finally received my ZSE, OOTB they're very good. V-shape sound signature, punchy bass and goes deep. I found the bass responsive to tip rolling, the starline tips offer the cleanest bass while the the one comes with ED9 is boomier and fun sounding bass.
Lower-mid range is recessed, vocal lacks some warmth. Overall mid-range is just OK, toward the bright side. There are some upper-mid peaks, so the sibilance is kinda annoying.
Treble is fine, with nice detail, no roll-off at all (tested with a Frequency Sweeping track). This is a step up from the ATE, which have rolled-off treble.
The soundstage is fine, wide with good instrument seperation, but lacks some depth because the lack of warmth. Compared to the ATE, the ZSE is wider but lack the 3D feeling.
How does the ZSE compare to the ED9? I have the ED9 and really like them.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #20,335 of 64,373
That's interesting... all of mine fit pretty absurdly tightly and I've put quite a few disconnect cycles on one pair (as in several hundred).

Well, no one ever said manufacturing tolerances were KZ's strong suit. :shrug:

PS: Seems like it would be safe to use a standard 0.78mm cable if your stock 0.75mm ones don't fit tightly enough? I know it's not an ideal solution but... that or some glue? :wink:
I am definitely gonna need some sort of a way to keep them in, some glue or at least some way to provide more friction on the male connectors' plastic, maybe put a blob of glue there and spread it out.
Funny thing is that silver cables don't even go in properly, the plastic housing stands in the way, and I don't want to plug the pins (as much as I can) and then wiggle it around too much, I am afraid that I will damage the female connectors and this would be a real problem. They want to use plastic casing that goes around the female connector as a friction provider, but if you are going to use that, you need to have a very precise manufacturing there. This is probably the main reason why I'd prefer mmcx at this price, because it's the connector itself that holds it all together. Pins alone obviously aren't enough.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #20,336 of 64,373
2 pin connectors don't feel secure on my ZS5, I live in a constant fear that they will disconnect and fall when I take them out and put them around my neck while I'm walking.

I felt the same way. Mne would disconnect fairly easily....like when pulling them out of my pants pocket. Then I realized I could push the plug in even further....and get a really snug fit. Now, the fit is tight.

Aug 28, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #20,337 of 64,373
The ZS6 is available on AliExpress, well at least for pre-order. I was expecting this to be sold at $40-45.

Screenshot_20170828-235426.png

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #20,338 of 64,373
How does the ZSE compare to the ED9? I have the ED9 and really like them.
Sorry, I haven't tried the ED9, but comfort wise, I think the ZSE bested the ED9 (my ears aren't that big). I like the ZSE very much despite having many "best bang of the buck" IEMs (like the LG Quadbeat 2 & 3, Seahf AWK-009, EINSEAR T2, ...). I takes a little bit adjustment ( deep or shallow insert, tip rolling, EQ....) to make the ZSE shine. I think the ZSE have many potentials cause they're very responsive to source or EQ. The sticky cable is a major downfall of these, but considering the price ($6 or under), these ZSE are non-brainer.

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #20,339 of 64,373
Sorry, I haven't tried the ED9, but comfort wise, I think the ZSE bested the ED9 (my ears aren't that big). I like the ZSE very much despite having many "best bang of the buck" IEMs (like the LG Quadbeat 2 & 3, Seahf AWK-009, EINSEAR T2, ...). I takes a little bit adjustment ( deep or shallow insert, tip rolling, EQ....) to make the ZSE shine. I think the ZSE have many potentials cause they're very responsive to source or EQ. The sticky cable is a major downfall of these, but considering the price ($6 or under), these ZSE are non-brainer.
I've thought about ordering the ZSE's because they're so inexpensive and get generally good reviews. But since I already have several budget IEM's that I'm happy with (KZ ZS5, KZ ED9, Rock Zircon), it doesn't really make sense.

I think I'll save the money for some ZS6's...or a small, portable headphone amp like the FiiO A3 (or A1).

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #20,340 of 64,373
Tried my second ZSE and this is apparently a correct one without QC issues as it sounds very different to the one I got first. A very likeable IEM indeed. I'm using it with L & R units swapped overear with T200 Comply foams. I can't help but think that KZ is onto something here lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back