Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 29, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #20,371 of 64,286
Im loving the sound of my zse when properly amped and a little burn in...like almost as much as zs5...almost...

My experience is that the ZSE is a little source sensitive. But yes, with a well matched source, its really an enjoyable earphone for most music genre's that do not have a strong emphasis on details.
Not so great if the DAC / Amp output does not match it well.

Forgot to add, its loves to be played loud ! :p

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #20,372 of 64,286
of course I'm late to the party

zs5 finally in after a month in transit

kaqRGgNl.jpg
haBLKkHl.jpg

Starline tips are not as translucent and are softer than the ones my ZST colorfuls came with. Haven't even put on the cable yet. Will be back later with impressions while y'all hype up the zs6 lmao

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 1:24 AM Post #20,374 of 64,286
Strange that ES3 is GB only and still no sign of ZS6 anywhere on taobao. I wonder if really overseas customers are more than local chinese customers...?? although I think this thread has alot to do with it LOL :beerchug:

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #20,376 of 64,286
I'm wondering if there will ever be a special Massdrop x Knowledge Zenith edition - probably with one of their higher-end models in the future. Given Knowledge Zenith's popularity, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that eventually happen.

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #20,377 of 64,286
Also just so I don't appear bitter -- I thought the sound of the ZS5 was quite nice. A "musical" tuning at a good price, esp. now that it's hovering ~$20 . Would be a great recommend but I'd prefer if they used their own shell design for comfort purposes as well as maintaining dignity.
I'm wondering if there will ever be a special Massdrop x Knowledge Zenith edition - probably with one of their higher-end models in the future. Given Knowledge Zenith's popularity, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see that eventually happen.
maybe if MD wants to cut their ties with CA. If I were kb I'd be pretty disappointed in MD to allow a blatant knockoff of their IEMs to collaborate. And also, I get the feeling that KZ is more about releasing model after model rather than spending a longer amount of time on one IEM

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:26 AM Post #20,381 of 64,286

Doubt it. Massdrop makes money on selling more expensive stuff because they can take a larger share of the savings as revenue.

KZ is cheap as it is, and they already sell at what i imagine is the lowest price they can, atleast a month or so after the initial release.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #20,383 of 64,286
Just got Sony MH1c (around 18USD) and the first thing I did was compare it to ZS5. I can finally say that ZS5 is not an untouchable king in this price range. So, ZS5 has massively better sub and more details in the highs, but MH1 has more detailed and just better mids, more natural highs. Sound stage wider on ZS5. MH1 sounds much more pleasant with focus on the lush mids.
I can definitely see people preferring one or the other in terms of sound. Comfort is miles better on MH1 due to small size, but the cable has to go, and this is not just a small problem. Similar to memory wire in ZS5, except this is much harder to do. Build quality is just not comparable, small metal body vs big plastic one.

Glad to see ZS6 already dropping in price, that was quick. If ZS6 improves mids compared to ZS5 it will be a must buy for practically anyone.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #20,384 of 64,286
Just got Sony MH1c (around 18USD) and the first thing I did was compare it to ZS5. I can finally say that ZS5 is not an untouchable king in this price range. So, ZS5 has massively better sub and more details in the highs, but MH1 has more detailed and just better mids, more natural highs. Sound stage wider on ZS5. MH1 sounds much more pleasant with focus on the lush mids.
I can definitely see people preferring one or the other in terms of sound. Comfort is miles better on MH1 due to small size, but the cable has to go, and this is not just a small problem. Similar to memory wire in ZS5, except this is much harder to do. Build quality is just not comparable, small metal body vs big plastic one.

Glad to see ZS6 already dropping in price, that was quick. If ZS6 improves mids compared to ZS5 it will be a must buy for practically anyone.

Agreed. The metal is a good upgrade.

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #20,385 of 64,286
Okay, after a night of listening to the ZS5s on my Magni 2, here's my early verdict.

Holy ***.
No other chi-fIEMs I have come close. ZS5 is l e g i t.

The BASS. A wee bit bloated, but satisfyingly fun. It's not just a hump of midbass, there's a subbass that is capable of pulling out that RUMBLE.
Not sibilant at all to my ears either. But the highs are all here. Not lacking at all. And it makes everything sound crystal clear.
And you know how KZs always couldn't really get the midrange right? They might not be quite HD 6x0 level midrange, but they're pretty much spot on to my ears.

I feel like I could stow away my ZS3, ZST, ED9, ATR, and even Piston 3s forever. That's how happy I am with the ZS5's sound.

They're pretty friggen big in my ears and cause minor irritation after a long listening session, but it's totally worth it.

So far no QC issues. I even accidentally blasted them to max volume on my One M9 for a second or two.

----------------

I really need to stop spending money ESPECIALLY on IEMs. But if the ZS6 is a metal enclosed ZS5 with the same sound, I might pick one up with one of the new metal silver cables for that better and weightier build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back