Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Aug 29, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #20,401 of 63,966
Finally a comparison with the MH1C which is my favourite of all time. Not sure if to ger more ZSes if the MH1C still competes. Maybe something similar to those but with better details? Einsear T2 maybe?
I like MH1c much more than ZS5 all things considered, but I do understand that this is more of a personal preference than objective conclusion. With MH1c music sounds like it should, while ZS5 messes with the highs way too much for my taste resulting in moderately unnatural violins for example. ZS5 punches back with raw technicalities like sound stage and crisp detailed highs with massive bass. So, if you want more details, ZS5 does it better than MH1, not by much though.
For the real upgrade, I'd wait a generation or two of KZ flagships, if they keep pushing like they have recently. ZS6 looks very interesting to me, but who knows what ZSR will do with fewer drivers. We are talking about few months only.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #20,402 of 63,966
Finally received my ZSE, OOTB they're very good. V-shape sound signature, punchy bass and goes deep. I found the bass responsive to tip rolling, the starline tips offer the cleanest bass while the the one comes with ED9 is boomier and fun sounding bass.
Lower-mid range is recessed, vocal lacks some warmth. Overall mid-range is just OK, toward the bright side. There are some upper-mid peaks, so the sibilance is kinda annoying.
Treble is fine, with nice detail, no roll-off at all (tested with a Frequency Sweeping track). This is a step up from the ATE, which have rolled-off treble.
The soundstage is fine, wide with good instrument seperation, but lacks some depth because the lack of warmth. Compared to the ATE, the ZSE is wider but lack the 3D feeling.
i think the zse does certain things very well, esp. midrange + low end is well controlled. however i think they need an amp to reach their potential and their fit is awkward for me. someone who is more brightness-phobic would appreciate these.

Thanks, I agree, however sound quality including bass does increase exponentially with amping while still maintaining the amazing mids..The starline tips are starting to soften which is making the fit more bearable and I think Im beginning to prefer them over my ZS5 and that's saying a lot for me. I value your opinion that's why I asked..Thanks
: I

Why, Please?
i think the zse does certain things very well, esp. midrange + low end is well controlled. however i think they need an amp to reach their potential and their fit is awkward for me. someone who is more brightness-phobic would appreciate these.

Aug 29, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #20,403 of 63,966
[QUOTE = "mrjimmybob, post: 13687486, member: 345951"] Per collegare il pezzo dell'orecchio al cavo verificare che il fattore di forma del cavo allinea quello del pezzo dell'orecchio.

Visualizza questa immagine:

Il cavo ha una forma simile. Anche il cavo ha il contrassegno L e R sul lato di ogni connettore.

Ci dispiace per il disegno di **** ty.

Spero che aiuta. [/ QUOTE]
grazie mille
To connect the ear piece to the cable check that the cable form factor aligns that of the ear piece.

See this image:

The cable has a similar shape. Also the cable has the marking L and R on the side of each connector.

Sorry for the ****ty drawing.

Hope it helps.
thanks very much

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #20,405 of 63,966
Got approx eleventy billion notifications overnight ITT, of course a new model has dropped.

e: seems like the ZS6 is simply a redesigned ZS5 with no change to the internals, gonna pass on that.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #20,406 of 63,966
Thanks, I agree, however sound quality including bass does increase exponentially with amping while still maintaining the amazing mids..The starline tips are starting to soften which is making the fit more bearable and I think Im beginning to prefer them over my ZS5 and that's saying a lot for me. I value your opinion that's why I asked..Thanks
the zse, like the zs5, does improve very significantly with amping. my very personal bias, however, is against using an amp, at least with cheap iems--since i do most of my listening on go, it's not always convenient to carry around more gear + it seems kinda incongruous to augment a $10 iem with, say, a $100 acoutrement. as for the fit of the zse, it's not so much the tips but the shape; others with different anatomy may find 'em more comfortable.

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #20,407 of 63,966
Can anyone conform this cable can be used on ZS5/ZS6? It looks very nice. 4 shares each side and twisted, for $8.

I can check when I get home this evening if no one else can. Have the ZS5 with me, just not the cable. Since it doesn't have the obscure angle that the regular ZST cable does, it might be possible. I do know they the socket of the cable is keyed the same as the ZS5

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #20,408 of 63,966
I do agree on the amping part.

Generally, we are still talking about budget earphones here. And it only makes sense to add an amp to them if you already have them. Else its pretty odd in the value preposition chain of things ! :D

That being said, basic but decent amps on a budget with budget earphones do exist now though. Stuff such as the Walnut F1. Under US$30/-.

But I still prefer to keep it simple and phones such as the LG G6 and V20 / V30 do come with quality DAC's and built in amps, so think they make more compelling carry around kits for budget or even most of the less power hungry but top-shelf earphones generally.
The ZSE plays very well when the volume gets cranked and also using a neutral (with slight bias towards bright) source as with my G6 even though it does not activate its "High-Impedance" mode that ramps up the amplifier gain. Not so good when the source is less than convincing, as with my laptop jack.

It needs a better, less microphobic cable that's for sure. The other fit aspects are more subjective IMO.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #20,409 of 63,966
I agree that the best thing for budget focused audiophiles is a smartphone with good output, like LG V20. This way you get a lot of extra value out of your smartphone purchase plus it's easy to carry around. V20 can competently drive 300Ohm headphones and some people say even 600Ohm earbuds. If anyone here has V20 or G6 with quad dac, does ZS5 trigger high gain mode? I think that ZS5 would greatly benefit from it.

Aug 29, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #20,410 of 63,966
I do agree on the amping part.

Generally, we are still talking about budget earphones here. And it only makes sense to add an amp to them if you already have them. Else its pretty odd in the value preposition chain of things ! :D

That being said, basic but decent amps on a budget with budget earphones do exist now though. Stuff such as the Walnut F1. Under US$30/-.

But I still prefer to keep it simple and phones such as the LG G6 and V20 / V30 do come with quality DAC's and built in amps, so think they make more compelling carry around kits for budget or even most of the less power hungry but top-shelf earphones generally.
The ZSE plays very well when the volume gets cranked and also using a neutral (with slight bias towards bright) source as with my G6 even though it does not activate its "High-Impedance" mode that ramps up the amplifier gain. Not so good when the source is less than convincing, as with my laptop jack.

It needs a better, less microphobic cable that's for sure. The other fit aspects are more subjective IMO.

I love this thread.. Now I'm going to look into the Walnut F1.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #20,413 of 63,966
If anyone here has V20 or G6 with quad dac, does ZS5 trigger high gain mode? I think that ZS5 would greatly benefit from it.

It will not. My XE800 is rated at 50 Ohms doesn't activate it, much less the ZS5.

Its really the DAC output rather than the amp that makes the magic on the ZSE ( I don't have the ZS5). It plays beautifully smooth even when I ramp up the volume to 40% ( I'm usually happy at 25~32% ) of the G6's volume controls. And that's plenty loud to my ears.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #20,415 of 63,966
It will not. My XE800 is rated at 50 Ohms doesn't activate it, much less the ZS5.

Its really the DAC output rather than the amp that makes the magic on the ZSE ( I don't have the ZS5). It plays beautifully smooth even when I ramp up the volume to 40% ( I'm usually happy at 25~32% ) of the G6's volume controls. And that's plenty loud to my ears.

Nice review

Users who are viewing this thread

Back