Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #19,066 of 63,939
the consensus, with which i agree, is that the zs5 improves on the zs3 in all respects other than a somewhat less punchy bass--the zs5 has significantly more detail/high end extension, images better. than said, you won't necessarily like it more--b9scrambler, for one, prefers the zs3, as i believe he is more treble sensitive
I have both and the overdone base boom that can be present in ZS3 and sometimes make the whole song drown with boomines (epidemic - poisonous love comes as a great example of this) is not a problem with the ZS5. Moreover, ZS5 has WAY more detail, sounds way more open (because of more treble air) and generally is much more pleasing to my ears. I like how it does base and sub base frequencies too - much more controlled and less overpowering than on ZS3.

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #19,067 of 63,939
ED9 (king of the bashead IEMs), ZN1 mini, ED "Special Edition" (aka KZ EDSE), ZS1 (1st gen with brass ring not version with mesh screen), and ED3 are the most basshead-oriented IEMs in my collection (in that order). You can also do the closed port mod on the ATE, resulting in a very warm signature. The ATE-S is the bassiest out of the ATE revisions too (Translucent brown w/black memory wires and red plastic cable "reliefs").

Most importanty, using KZ Starline tips significantly increases the bass (and fit/comfort) on all in the list, as well as other non-KZ bassy IEMs such as Rock Zircon and (to a lesser degree) MEMT X5.

Obviously, amping helps bring out the bass on these too.
is there any particular reason for the starline tips to enhance the bass? because of its shape? because of it's length? I am very curious if I should buya few sets from Aliexpress cuz i love me some bass

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:38 PM Post #19,068 of 63,939
is there any particular reason for the starline tips to enhance the bass? because of its shape? because of it's length? I am very curious if I should buya few sets from Aliexpress cuz i love me some bass
I believe I read in this thread somewhere that the starlines are included with the zs5. As I see you own them in your sig.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #19,069 of 63,939
Just a heads up for anyone interested but Gearbest.com has a sale on right now on Earphones: http://www.gearbest.com/promotion-earbuds-hot-sale-special-940.html

If you don't know which ones to pick I recommend out of the ones I own or have tried the KZ ZS3 (which is heavily discounted), the KZ ATE and the KZ ZST (though I wouldn't recommend these if you are sensitive to high frequencies).

If you are interested in dipping a different brand of earphones in your ears and you like the KZ ATE I recommend you try out the Somic V4 which is also discounted although it isn't featured.

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #19,071 of 63,939

They have a very small bore, and the more pointed shape allows a deeper insertion.

They were specifically designed for bass enhancement by KZ:

Screenshot 2017-03-17 at 5.10.07 PM - Edited.png

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:46 AM Post #19,074 of 63,939
I have both and the overdone base boom that can be present in ZS3 and sometimes make the whole song drown with boomines (epidemic - poisonous love comes as a great example of this) is not a problem with the ZS5.

If your ZS3 makes music "drown with boomines" then it's because of your source. They are more source sensitive than you think.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #19,075 of 63,939
If your ZS3 makes music "drown with boomines" then it's because of your source. They are more source sensitive than you think.

yes but while ZS3 can be boomy on certain songs (the one I mentioned above for example), ZS5 does not make that song boomy, and on the contrary opens it up somewhat. every source I tried with ZS3 made that song kinda boomy, while even on my crappy phone the ZS5 sound well, not as boomy when playing the aforementioned song. This is more along the lines of elevated mid-base frequency response together with possibly that songs poor-ish mastering (don't know for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if along the way they crancked that "bass" a bit higher :D ). The zs5 doesn't have an apparent mid-base "hump". Mind you, my ZS3 is free of defects like the crushed sound pipe thingy...

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #19,077 of 63,939
Has anyone even ordered from GearBest had their ZS5's yet?

Ordered 20th of June, and according to the "tracking" it arrived in the UK over two weeks ago, but still hasn't shown up yet!
Dont worry too much. I actually ordered a pair of KZ Atr from Gearbest and shipping took 2 and a half months to come. I thought they were lost in the shipment but apparently I was wrong. I even contacted Gearbest because they guaranteed a 2 month delivery time to your country and apparently they are sending me another pair for free LOL. I was too late in cancelling their free shipment for me so yay :3

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #19,078 of 63,939
Has anyone even ordered from GearBest had their ZS5's yet?

Ordered 20th of June, and according to the "tracking" it arrived in the UK over two weeks ago, but still hasn't shown up yet!

Ordered mine 1st of July and they arrived on the 14th to the UK.

Get @George-gearbest to check it out for you.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #19,080 of 63,939
I've found Gearbest to be faster to Canada than AE. At least last few times that I've ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back