Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 13, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #17,599 of 64,051
Received a pair of ZST's today from Amazon. Immediately they seemed off. The right one is clearly louder than the left. Is this a common occurrence? Lowering the right by 3-4db's completely fixes the issue. I contacted Amazon and have a replacement pair coming tomorrow. I'm just hoping this isn't a common thing and I'm going to have to go through half a dozen pairs before I find ones that aren't unbalanced.

Ask for a replacement. I had a problem with KZ ATES on Aliexpress and thanks to forum members I disputed and got refund.

P.S . Sorry misread, your post, but yeah there is 30% chance

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #17,600 of 64,051
With the kz3 having an unusual nozzle size has anyone decided to go with homemade foam tips? With kzs in general being such budget oriented iems it makes sense to at least try. I have some high quality earplugs I was wanting to use for this project. Im thinking just cut the ear plug with some good scissors roughly the same depth and size as a medium hybrid tip(which I know fits well) but for the hole make it slightly smaller than the nozzle. Then basically working the hole in the middle of the tip over the nozzle rocking back and forth gently until it fits snug onto the nozzle. Probably over simplifing this but LMK if any of guys do this with your kzs or just your iems in general. From what Ive read you just need a hole puncher :)

May 13, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #17,601 of 64,051
Replacement ZST's arrived today. First thing that stuck out to me was the packaging. This pair had the cord neatly coiled and tied, tucked in a baggy. All the additional ear tips were in a separate baggy as well. The pair I received yesterday just had the cord wound loose in the box and the tips loose as well. The sound is totally different as well. Much better. Balanced and the base is much deeper. Curious if I got someones return on that first pair or what. Only problem with this new pair is the left IEM was hard to get plugged in as the female end was a bit loose on it.

May 13, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #17,602 of 64,051
The ZS3 is picky with tips. It's too narrow for 5mm bores and too wide for 3mm bores rendering 85% of my tip inventory useless. The stock tips fit my left ear okay, but get blocked in my right ear, which was why I thought I had a channel imbalance. KZ Starline tips, which come installed on the ZST, fit but they get painful. I finally got them sorted by installing hybrid Symbio tips by MandarinEs. You can find them on eBay for $17 per 3 pair.

Spider, can I use these Mandarin Hybrid Symbio tips on the ATR and ED4 as well?

Or do these just work well with the zs3?

One more very important thing about sizing, if a medium Sony hybrid tip is what I wear, than should I buy the mediums?

Thanks and this tip looks really promising appreciate the suggestion :)

May 13, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #17,603 of 64,051

One more very important thing about sizing, if a medium Sony hybrid tip is what I wear, than should I buy the mediums?

They fit the ATR just fine, but I like the stock tips better.
20170513_152054-01.jpeg

I don't have an ED4 or Sony Hybrid tips so I can't comment on those.

May 13, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #17,604 of 64,051

I didn't like my ed4 first, but with generic aliexpress foams they're ok. a bit weird sounding though.

May 13, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #17,605 of 64,051
Replacement ZST's arrived today. First thing that stuck out to me was the packaging. This pair had the cord neatly coiled and tied, tucked in a baggy. All the additional ear tips were in a separate baggy as well. The pair I received yesterday just had the cord wound loose in the box and the tips loose as well. The sound is totally different as well. Much better. Balanced and the base is much deeper. Curious if I got someones return on that first pair or what. Only problem with this new pair is the left IEM was hard to get plugged in as the female end was a bit loose on it.

Sounds like the first pair definitely was some returned junk. All my KZs have been neatly packaged and the wires nicely wrapped.

May 13, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #17,608 of 64,051
purchased the ZS3 yesterday, it arrived with ZST written on the box :joy:

haven't done the mod yet, because to my ears the bass is just fine, even feels less in quantity from my bass earbuds..

May 14, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #17,609 of 64,051
update: i opened the red mesh to look inside, but i couldn't find any black tuning foam inside the nozzle. poked a needle inside and also couldn't find any. mine is the glossy version (with that weird ZST box writing)

20170514_131613.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back