Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 28, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #17,371 of 63,916
I really like these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SYMBIO-Silicone-Memory-Foam-Special-Hybrid-Universal-Eartips-/122455642972?

They perform like a silicon/foam hybrid, aren't sticky, are comfortable and fit the ZS3 like a glove. It improves the isolation too. I was siting in a park surrounded by screaming kids listening to a PODCAST, not music, and could nary hear a disturbance.

I did some snooping around their thread and it seems that the tips are actually Hybrids/Hybrid clones filled with 3M earplug foam cut into the required shape. I think I could make one if I got the things I need.

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #17,372 of 63,916
I really like these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SYMBIO-Silicone-Memory-Foam-Special-Hybrid-Universal-Eartips-/122455642972?

They perform like a silicon/foam hybrid, aren't sticky, are comfortable and fit the ZS3 like a glove. It improves the isolation too. I was siting in a park surrounded by screaming kids listening to a PODCAST, not music, and could nary hear a disturbance.

I've just gone ahead and bought the Symbio memory foam hybrid ear tips from the seller in your link for my KZ ZST. Many thanks for the heads up. I see you have the following:

1More Triple Driver, ATH-CKR9, KZ ATR, KZ ZST, KZ ZS3, Magaosi K3 Pro

Whats your best one from that list, the Magaosi K3 pro is next on my list? Where would you rate the KZ ZST in that list? What mods do you have for your ZST? Thank you for the info. :)

Apr 29, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #17,373 of 63,916
@wendyKL
My acquisition of the ATR, ZST, ZS3 and K3 Pro all came around the same time and I haven't put in as many hours with each as I would like. Depending on value, I think the ZST and ZS3 are the safest choices for the majority of people. Here's a quick rundown in order of best to worst for me in terms of value:

ZST
Pros - Beautiful build, looks cool, comfortable fit, replaceable cable, detailed sound, wide sound stage
Cons - QC issues(blocked vent), tip dependent(I get driver flex with silicon but none with foams), slightly bright and fatiguing

ZS3
Pros - Beautiful build, looks cool, incredible can't-hear-a-damn-thing isolation, replaceable cable, detailed, rich, warm sound
Cons - Uncomfortable vacuum effect when inserted, strange nozzle size, *irregular fit

K3 Pro
Pros - Easily the most technically accomplished and best sounding IEM of the bunch, great extension at both ends of the sonic spectrum, solid build, tiny ear pieces that are comfortable even when laying on one's side, tuning nozzles for bassy or balanced sound that actually work, nice, although large, carrying case that is useful beyond just storing the IEMs, MMCX connectors which allow for a wide variety of after-market upgrades
Cons - Eventually causes pain in my right ear, slightly bright, **QC issues plaguing recent purchasers

1More Triple Driver
Pros - Beautiful build, unrivaled unboxing experience, oh so comfortable, true universal remote, fun, warm sound
Cons - Cable is microphonic and over ear wear is awkward, sounds veiled and muddy next to K3, not worth $100 price tag but if you can find it for $60(Costco) it's a steal

ATR
Pros - Cheap!, comfortable, smooth, relaxed and inoffensive(non-fatiguing) sound
Cons - Sticky cable, smooth, relaxed and inoffensive(boring) sound

CKR9
Pros - Solid, durable build, warm sound with punchy bass
Cons - Awkward fit, crappy crappy microphonic cable, sound feels like it's missing something that I can't quite place a finger on, many better options for the current price these are going for

*I complained to GearBest that the first ZS3 they sent me had a massive channel imbalance where the right earpiece was significantly quieter than the left earpiece and they promptly sent a replacement free of charge. The replacement unit also exhibited the same channel imbalance. Baffled I started tip rolling both units which is also a challenge because the ZS3's nozzle has an unusual diameter. Too wide for 3mm bores, but too slim for 5mm. KZ Starlines and MandarinEs Symbios were the only tips I had that fit. Still, with whichever tip, the channel imbalance remained. Then I had an idea. Pull out. Instead of the usual deep insertion I try to get with all my IEMs, the ZS3 only functions properly for me if I insert it all the way and then pull them out. 2-3mm will do it. At first I thought that the shallower fit might cause them to slide out overtime but the over ear cable and vacuum seal these provide keep them secure.

**Luckily my issue with the K3 Pro, frequent disconnection with the two stock cables, was easily remedied by using a third-party cable. Others have had far more troubling issues such as nozzles breaking off, improperly aligned drivers, unofficial colorways and channel imbalances. For the time it takes to receive these from AliExpress and the headaches to follow in trying to get replacements and reimbursements I would say it's a much safer route to pick up the Audbos K3 from Amazon to get them quicker and easily replaced should there be an issue. Without all the problems cropping up on Head-Fi, as well my own issues, the K3 would have been at the top of my list.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #17,375 of 63,916
I think people are weirded out with the new format...SO MANY ADS OMG. I like how it's all grey boxes though with my adblocker lol

Labor day holiday in China ends on Thursday, although for taobao/tmall they usually preempt this since consumers tend to shop more during holidays. But nothing on their tmall site yet...

May 2, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #17,377 of 63,916
Has anyone ordered the ZST Bluetooth cable? I was going to buy one but they're sold out on Ali unless I buy it together with a ZST.

May 2, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #17,378 of 63,916
New one or older one? Read the last one was not good.

May 2, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #17,379 of 63,916
I didn't know there was an older one. It's the one that shows up when you search "KZ Bluetooth" on Ali.

May 2, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #17,380 of 63,916
I think the battery power was low 3-4hrs.

May 2, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #17,381 of 63,916
Okay, thanks. I'm pulling my hair out looking for a suitable workout solution. The 1More EB100 I have is meant as a gift for my brother, but now that I've gotten a taste of Bluetooth's convenience I'm frantically searching for my own pair. I really like the 1Mores but the earhook design doesn't quite work with my glasses.

May 2, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #17,382 of 63,916
I thought the ZST Bluetooth cables were relatively new. Didn't think anyone actually got them in yet for testing.

May 3, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #17,383 of 63,916
Hey guys!

Upon reading lots of reviews and ordering the KZ EDR1 from DX (I am entirely new to those cheap IEMs), today they arrived. Obviously I didn't have time for break-in yet, but I think the EDR1s are "ok". I am pretty much a bass head tho. I am using the smallest rubber things that come with it and I need to push these really far in to get "good bass", and of course I need to use my "V"-type equalizer in Soundblaster as well. Initially I expected these so good as to not even requiring an EQ. Overall I am a little disappointed. I am still preferring my ancient SONY 818 honestly for overal better, more "open" sound but still with good, "round" bass. Maybe I am just not the type for IEMs. I am not saying these IEMs are "bad" (now compared to the crap from the dollar store which is horrible), but still. I am still eying the KS ZS3 and will probably buy just to test.
I will also look into "old style" buds and VE Monk caught my attention, will try these as well.

May 3, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #17,385 of 63,916
Hey guys!

Upon reading lots of reviews and ordering the KZ EDR1 from DX (I am entirely new to those cheap IEMs), today they arrived. Obviously I didn't have time for break-in yet, but I think the EDR1s are "ok". I am pretty much a bass head tho. I am using the smallest rubber things that come with it and I need to push these really far in to get "good bass", and of course I need to use my "V"-type equalizer in Soundblaster as well. Initially I expected these so good as to not even requiring an EQ. Overall I am a little disappointed. I am still preferring my ancient SONY 818 honestly for overal better, more "open" sound but still with good, "round" bass. Maybe I am just not the type for IEMs. I am not saying these IEMs are "bad" (now compared to the crap from the dollar store which is horrible), but still. I am still eying the KS ZS3 and will probably buy just to test.
I will also look into "old style" buds and VE Monk caught my attention, will try these as well.

Welcome to the KZ clan! Try experimenting with the different tip sizes the EDR1 came with. I tend to start with the largest (if the mediums don't do it right off the bat) and work my way down to find out which gives the best combination of comfort and seal. IEMs are pretty much reliant on a good seal for sound, especially bass, so some experimentation is often necessary to get the most out of them.

The VE Monk is a great bud. If you want something a bit bassier with less treble hotness, give the FiiO EM3 a go. They're both excellent though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back