Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 25, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #16,756 of 63,914
  I feel one of the main reasons is because Apple volume control is wired opposite from Android volume control. So manufacturers either have the following 4 choices with regards to volume control:

1. Add a switch to manually select between Apple/Android.
2. Add active circuitry to detect the type of phone plugged in & automatically select between Apple/Android.
3. Settle on one or the other wiring standard (which they almost always choose Android because many of these manufacturers also manufacture Android phones), leaving half of their phone user base out in the cold.
4. Omit volume control & just provide mic with single 'universal' button.

More and more they are choosing option 4.

#1-3 add additional costs, both in hardware & licensing to cover the Apple wiring (because I am pretty sure they have to pay Apple a patent licensing fee to wire it the Apple way).

When you're talking a pair of KZs that sell at a street price of $7, the wholesale cost is probably $4. So $1-2 additional manufacturing cost for a 3-button volume control (plus licensing fees) represents up to 50% increase in costs. Add to it losses due to QC defects and warranty claims from wiring faults & button failures, and it doesn't take a genius to see why they often would rather just save the headaches and K.I.S.S.

I agree with eteina that it would be nice to at least include it on higher priced models.

Nicely explained! 

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #16,759 of 63,914
Mar 25, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #16,760 of 63,914
I just received a ZST Colorful today and while they sound great, the right ear piece has massive driver flex. None on the left ear piece. I even tested both sides by inserting each in the opposite ear and it's definitely the right one. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this?

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #16,762 of 63,914
  Is "Dispatch Faster" button does anything worthwile? I've been clicking it for about 20 times in different hours of the day, but order is still processing.

Not that I have found. I've RECEIVED orders & that button still appears.

I think it's psychological, like when you are waiting for an elevator & you keep pressing the UP button thinking the elevator is magically going to come faster. Or in IT when end users say the printer is taking too long to print, so they hit the print button 50 more times thinking that will make the print job 'go faster'. Then 2,000 pages starts spilling out of the printer.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #16,763 of 63,914
I just received a ZST Colorful today and while they sound great, the right ear piece has massive driver flex. None on the left ear piece. I even tested both sides by inserting each in the opposite ear and it's definitely the right one. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this?

Check the tiny vent port on the right ear piece. Sounds like it's clogged up.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #16,764 of 63,914
  What about ZS3 vs W1 Pro? Yes I love my ZS3 but the mic button is hard to press for tracks change, and getting a new 7$ cable while a W1 Pro iem is at 6$...

I've got both. They are very different, but very capable earphones. ZS3 is warmer and smoother. The W1 Pro offers up a more balanced sound imo, but is also more sub- than mid-bass focused giving you a really nice visceral rumble that the ZS3 doesn't have. Other than that, as much as I love the W1 Pro the ZS3 is probably the better of the two. They sound more natural and have a more spacious soundstage (though not by much). I found the ZS3 easier to wear too. The W1 Pro's cable is pretty kick@$$ for a budget product though. KZ can't touch em there. Get the cable for the ZS3, and maybe a W1 Pro as backup?

ZS3 Reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/products/kz-zs3-hifi-high-end-3-5mm-in-ear-earphone-headphones-earpiece-original-headset-bass-earbuds-with-microphone/reviews

W1 Pro Reviews: http://www.head-fi.org/products/qkz-w1-pro-in-ear-sport-headphone/reviews

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #16,765 of 63,914
  What about ZS3 vs W1 Pro? Yes I love my ZS3 but the mic button is hard to press for tracks change, and getting a new 7$ cable while a W1 Pro iem is at 6$...

I like my W1 Pro. It's very underrated.

Dirt cheap (under $5) and sooo comfortable. I often sleep in mine because they are so flat & comfy. I just wore mine today playing 54 holes of disc golf. I didn't even notice they were in, whereas when I wear the ZST, ZS3, ZN1, etc I have to take them out after 60-90 mins because my ears get sure. The stock cable is pretty nice too.

In stock form it sounds really 'meh' because it's a completely sealed housing (very compressed & slightly tinny). You simply make (2) tiny 1mm vent holes on each ear piece, & it turns the thing into a monster (once modded it sounds basically identical to the ZS3). You can use a 1mm drill bit (often included in Dremel accessory kits), or a needle works too.

You can make the vent holes anywhere on the housing. On original pair, I made them at the bottom in the skinny section below the words 'W1 PRO'. Sometimes my ear covers one of the holes though.

My 2nd pair, I made the holes identical to the Magaosi K3 PRO (which looks like the exact same shell as the W1 Pro):

See the 2 little vent holes? If you put them there, you don't even have to take apart the shells if you are careful and don't jam the drill bit in too far. Just pull the drill bit out the instant you pierce the plastic. If you do it that way, all of the plastic shavings stays outside too. The shells are easy to open up though - you can bite them in your teeth & they pop right apart if you really want to.

The vents don't need any mesh either, because they're so small.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #16,767 of 63,914
  Check the tiny vent port on the right ear piece. Sounds like it's clogged up.

It wasn't clogged. It wasn't even pierced through! A needle did the trick.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #16,768 of 63,914
W1 pro i wonder if its KZ? Says fonge: www.ebay.ca/itm/302174501437

Users who are viewing this thread

Back