Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 13, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #15,361 of 63,916
  generally speaking, the marketplace isn't receptive to low-end manufacturers who try to go upscale--think hyundai trying to sell luxury cars. kz does a fantastic job at the $10 pricepoint--i'm positive if their iems were positioned at the $50 point this thread wouldn't be a thousand pages. ergo, a $100 kz will be quite a curiousity, but you got to wonder if they'll sell a ton of them.

I agree, given the questionable build quality at times it will really be a test of KZ abilities to build an earphone that stands shoulder to shoulder with earphones in the $200 bracket.

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #15,363 of 63,916

I agree, given the questionable build quality at times it will really be a test of KZ abilities to build an earphone that stands shoulder to shoulder with earphones in the $200 bracket.

i actually had the hyundai luxury car, the genesis--pretty good car, with an awesome lexicon stereo, but it wasn't lexus quality; it was just a little less polished/perfect. which, i realize, has no bearing whatsoever to kz headphones, but i do feel that it's usually a good idea to stick to what you do best. we'll see soon enough how kz does with their totl.

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #15,364 of 63,916
  generally speaking, the marketplace isn't receptive to low-end manufacturers who try to go upscale--think hyundai trying to sell luxury cars. kz does a fantastic job at the $10 pricepoint--i'm positive if their iems were positioned at the $50 point this thread wouldn't be a thousand pages. ergo, a $100 kz will be quite a curiousity, but you got to wonder if they'll sell a ton of them.

I really see no reason not to give KZ the benefit of the doubt when everything that's been fairly 'premium' i've had from a 'premium' manufacturer has turned out to be significantly flawed or an outright pile of crap.
Sony cables become brittle in the cold and snap in half. My XBA3s suffered this fate. a few weeks later they were no longer usable.
Then i got the mdr-1rbt - it had a plastic construction headband that developed cracking over time and were unusable in 6 months.
Had a simillar experience with AKG. their K550 was really good until the weak plastic joints of the headphones gave way and the pads tore because faux leatherette disintegrates.
Then there was the Grado SR325i - the most uncomfortable pair of headphones i've ever owned. Still, it was better made than anything i've had previously.
Then i got the T50RP MK3, which arent as transparent as i'd like them to be but atleast they're built like a tank. I still have these.

That being said, i got the KZ RX about at the time i got the 1rbt and it's still kicking. And it has a kickass sound for $8. The ZST goes up against the XBA3s and K550s for $12 in terms of SQ.

Now i've had 2 critical failures with KZs. my ATE's jack [Which was sortof my fault] and my HDS3 at the joint [which it more sortof wasnt], and some QC issues [Cracking drivers when pushing on seal, no seal on one channel]. Those i could both take responsibility for (sleeping with HDS3, accidentially tugging on ATE ). Nothing feels like it'll fall apart as with junk earbuds or deliberately designed to fail in a very specific manner.

I dont feel like there's a faustian bargain, like when i go Sony or AKG or Harman because if it works it'll just work, flawed as it may be. Even if the ZSR is way more expensive it seems KZ has earned my consumerly trust with what they've put out so far.

That being said, all of my above experiences make me a huge KZ fanboi, so you could say im biased now lol.

Jan 13, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #15,365 of 63,916
Amen to that! :smiley:

I keep my fingers crossed for KZ, they have gained a lot of experience with budget earphones and why shouldn't they try to make a foray into a more lucrative part of the market? If they succeed, we will all benefit from it. :smiley:

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #15,367 of 63,916
Did I say EDSE? I meant ATE

ED9 was one of my first KZ's and still in my top three, only two filter choices but almost everyone I know likes one or the other. I still love mine either the chrome or black
wink_face.gif

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #15,368 of 63,916
i actually had the hyundai luxury car, the genesis--pretty good car, with an awesome lexicon stereo, but it wasn't lexus quality; it was just a little less polished/perfect. which, i realize, has no bearing whatsoever to kz headphones, but i do feel that it's usually a good idea to stick to what you do best. we'll see soon enough how kz does with their totl.

We never saw the Genesis it the UK, would have like to see the Genesis Coupe at the very least. We don't see some big engine cars in the UK just because the petrol tax is so high over here, no one can afford to run them.

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #15,369 of 63,916
ED9 was one of my first KZ's and still in my top three, only two filter choices but almost everyone I know likes one or the other. I still love mine either the chrome or black:wink_face:

Was hesitant for the ED9s,because the EDSE are the perfect size for me, and the ED9 appear larger. The others are over the ESR style, and I've never worn any like that before

Jan 13, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #15,371 of 63,916
My 11/11 order finally came.  Just over 2 months for shipping LMAO.

Potato pic.  Better/more and impressions coming soon.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #15,372 of 63,916
The ZST isn't necessarily bright with treble, but it does sound slightly artificial up there. Slight EQ takes care of it.

They are very impressive for $12. I stayed up an extra hour the other night listening to some instrumentals and really got into it. Easily $60+ material.

For $90 and 5 drivers, that flagship KZ will be a monster if it is tuned well with a good build quality. It is in line with what I would expect the price to be (remember, 10 drivers). Hope it is universal MMCX or 2-pin.

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #15,373 of 63,916
Hi guys I've been inactive for a while. My ATRs should be reaching me next weekend so for now I'm still with my ZS3.

I'm not sure if it's because I use it when lying down, but the left ZS3 unit is starting to have connection issues? It is intermittent and comes back after I adjust it, but it seems a contact has gone loose inside. Is anyone facing this issue as well? If it looks like I'm not the only one I may sacrifice the sound for something that lasts a little longer...

Jan 13, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #15,374 of 63,916
  The ZST isn't necessarily bright with treble, but it does sound slightly artificial up there. Slight EQ takes care of it.

They are very impressive for $12. I stayed up an extra hour the other night listening to some instrumentals and really got into it. Easily $60+ material.

For $90 and 5 drivers, that flagship KZ will be a monster if it is tuned well with a good build quality. It is in line with what I would expect the price to be (remember, 10 drivers). Hope it is universal MMCX or 2-pin.

The ZST is a Diva.

My Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD with 40 Ohm output Impedance, is not able to drive them properly.

Jan 14, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #15,375 of 63,916
What would be best KZs for metal with vocals (Njghtwish, Epica)? Now I'm using new Xiaomi hybrids with triple drivers and I really like vocals, they're clear. But soundstage is kinda shallow (compared to Meelec M11) and "heavy guitar music" is just muddy mess.. Which KZ model suit best for this genre?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back