Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 6, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #15,091 of 64,383
Jan 6, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #15,093 of 64,383
literally me in this thread

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:30 AM Post #15,094 of 64,383
  My hearing is excellent. I actually had a trip to the audiologist a month ago where they did a frequency sweep test and the doctor said I'm above average for 26 years old. I have two ATR's from two different sources. No tip can make them sound good. They're lacking highs and they're lacking lows. I would not hesitate to say these are a $1 Walmart crane game toy, where the ED12's are a 25¢ machine grocery store prize. You get what you pay for and the ATR's are only $4. - the lowest of the KZ's. The ATE's are much better than the ATR's

I now trust almost nobody on this board because I personally brought back the ZST hype after some regulars shot them down as trash. Now everyone loves them and are pouncing on two different flavors of them.

Take what the big guys say as a grain of salt. They've been gaslighted by audiophile marketing. You'll only be able to tell slight differences in 83¢ opaml chips that are in every DAC and headphone amplifier. Oh and tubes are a crock of poop too (I built my own stereo tube amp with independent opamps and voltage regs for both channels, using nichicon gold capacitors, metal film resistors, etc). Any modern cell phone opamp playing 320k MP3 is all your ear is going to hear. Anything else is snake oil.

Im with you on the ATR,s i also had two pairs of them, and i couldn't get warme with them. And i also build Amps of any kind, Fet,s Bipolar Op Amp. but so far no tubes.
beerchug.gif

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #15,095 of 64,383
I just put my ATR's in. Hospital room is quiet. Let's go over a few songs from Classic Rock to EDM. I've been using the Tennmak's exclusively, so I'm used to a warmer sound.

ATR:
Jimmy Hendrix - Somewhere:
Mids mids mids. Jimi's voice is pushed too far behind the mids. No highs past ~10k. Snares don't pop like they do in the ZST's and Tennmak Pro's.

DJ Snake & Yellow Claw - Ocho Cinco (Barely Alive Remix): Beginning is nice and clear with a little more highs, but still muddied by the mids. Muddy all around, nothing pops. No sub bass but ok at around 60hz+

Space & Loot - Waves: Terribly boring. No highs. Mids are too strong. It feels like most of the song is entirely missing.

Koan Sound - Edge: Sub bass is non-existent, which plays a big role in this song. Snares don't pop. Basically you hear the one synth and a kick the entire song. One redeeming quality is the quick bass. It doesn't feel sluggish and is quick to respond.

Lamb of God - Now You've Got Something To Die For: I really enjoy the percussion in all of Lamb of God's music. Chris Adler is a god. Unfortunately, all of his godly percussion is pushed very far back behind the guitars and vocals. Kick doesn't punch through, you only get the low end of some of his splashes and you don't really get the full effect. Cymbals hide behind the guitars.

Linkin Park - Papercut: Surprisingly, this is the best song I've heard on these, but percussion & some toms are well hidden behind everything else. It sounds calm.(the suuuuuuuunnnn gooooessss dowwwwwnnnn). Still nothing exciting and the bassline is too far behind everything towards the end verse when it really moves the song.

SP:Mc & LX One - Hunted: Can't reproduce the sub bass accurately at all. You can't hear the slow modulation of the bassline. This is old school dubstep, so there isn't much to it except for a low bassline. My SHE3590's would rock this song.

Chon - Fall:  Mids too forward, percussion is pushed too far back, high hats and cymbals are too attenuated.

Miles Davis - So What: This song is extremely hard to get wrong. Great soundstage in the ATR's, the percussion in the beginning sounds like it's to the rear right of my head. I feel like the level of clarity in the Trumpet is lacking. Sounds fine, not much more to say except this brings out some soundstage.

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower (South Saturn Delta): Crispy bitey bass with texture, but that's really all I can say about the song. Too muddy once the song goes into other verses.

Veil of Maya - Mikasa: Not bad for metal, everything is tight and the highs aren't over powering. Sub bass would go a long away with the kick bursts.

The Weeknd - A Lonely Night: Mids overpower vocals and percussion making it feel like a sidechaining effect with the vocals.

I will finish this tomorrow. My meds just kicked in and I'm about to crash. Goodnight, my snake oil friends!

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #15,097 of 64,383
Whilst the ATR isn't my cup of tea in terms of sound signature I'd say they are more than a match for some much pricier and better known brand earphones. They are much closer to my preferred sound signature than the ATE so I like them more than those.

ATR are more analytical
ATE are warmer and have more mid bass

For the price both are excellent earphones given that the likes of Sony, Sennheiser and others will charge you x10 the price for similar quality sound.

One thing I've noticed is that some posters are unable to leave their own preferences to one side when reviewing earphones often labelling them as crap because they don't tick all their own boxes. I can still rate a pair of warm, bassy earphones highly even when this is far from my own personal preference. I would suggest that others need to consider that earphones are made for a wide range of tastes and to bear this in mind when posting.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #15,098 of 64,383
Someone needs to order 6 pairs of the ZST from 6 different stores.
I think there's massive inconsistency with their sound because there is one with their impressions.

I may have to agree on you with this one. I didn't find my ZST that amazing vs my ZS3, I'm still trying to figure what went wrong. Maybe I need to order the candy version and see if there is any inconsistency. Hmmmm.

KZ ZST on Asus xonar essence ST, Blue is the Modified Speaker-out = ~0.2Ohm, Purple is the Headphone-out with 10Ohm. So the more output Impedance the more Heights. 

Check out the prices from gearbest too.
If u hv a "good" dap...the zst shld be fine. Zst aint good off my fone...abit tin-ny..spikey. Great on my x10 NEW dap..the separation..clarity..love it for classicals.:heart_eyes:

I would also have to agree with you both, I'm not yet sure why I'm not loving the ZST more like everbody does but what I did notice is that this monitors are quite sensitive to sources. I've been swapping my sources since last night and I really find it better sounding using my laptop. Maybe I have set my expectations very high of the ZST? I dunno, I may need to play around with this boys more.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #15,099 of 64,383
I may have to agree on you with this one. I didn't find my ZST that amazing vs my ZS3, I'm still trying to figure what went wrong. Maybe I need to order the candy version and see if there is any inconsistency. Hmmmm.

I would also have to agree with you both, I'm not yet sure why I'm not loving the ZST more like everbody does but what I did notice is that this monitors are quite sensitive to sources. I've been swapping my sources since last night and I really find it better sounding using my laptop. Maybe I have set my expectations very high of the ZST? I dunno, I may need to play around with this boys more.

Give a good listen on a lower volume for a day or two. Your brain will adjust to the highs and they will open right up. I have this issue every time I come back from the Tennmak Pro's.  My ears screm until I give them a chance to 'self EQ'. Lol.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #15,100 of 64,383
  I just put my ATR's in. Hospital room is quiet. Let's go over a few songs from Classic Rock to EDM. I've been using the Tennmak's exclusively, so I'm used to a warmer sound.

I will finish this tomorrow. My meds just kicked in and I'm about to crash. Goodnight, my snake oil friends!

My suggestion is to leave it till you are feeling better. Personally I think your snake oil comment highlights your frame of mind and it's coming across badly.  

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #15,102 of 64,383

My suggestion is to leave it till you are feeling better. Personally I think your snake oil comment highlights your frame of mind and it's coming across badly.  

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #15,103 of 64,383
Anyone willing to lend me a pair of the ZS3's? I have tiny ears, but big ear canals for some reason so I'm not sure if they case of them will fit. I'd rather try before I buy. I'd be willing to send you the the tennmak pro's as collateral since I'm somewhat new here. I'll pay shipping both ways.

Jan 6, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #15,105 of 64,383
  Anyone willing to lend me a pair of the ZS3's? I have tiny ears, but big ear canals for some reason so I'm not sure if they case of them will fit. I'd rather try before I buy. I'd be willing to send you the the tennmak pro's as collateral since I'm somewhat new here. I'll pay shipping both ways.

what. they are like 10usd on ebay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back