Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 28, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #13,786 of 63,914
  Yep. That's the one. 

In my case, I use them mainly with ATR and ZS3. To my ears, these provide perfect sealing and a sense of better coherency from the overall sound.

ZST, despite whatever tips (I have quite a few in my collection) I have tried (and been on use for good part of the last few weeks with a variety of audio set-ups) they still sound very muddy and grainy. IMHO, they are the only disappointing KZ IEM that I have in my collection.

#YMMV

I suggested you try Ortofon ear tips. It improved clarity a lot. If budget is not about your concern, It has a lot of fun to customize with. I tried it with all of my eartips collection (JVC spiral dot, Final Type E, Ortofon, KZ's tips, Spinfit, etc..) and my own upgraded cables. At the end, I learnt a lot what characteristic of each ear tips be. Recently, I posted sale KZ ZST and not too long just 1 hour I can sell it. Perhaps people in my country feel impressed it rather than here. Same story with 茶楽音人 (saraundo) earphones & ear tips company. His earphones have a good sale in Japan but not in worldwide. In worldwide only his ear tips, Spinfit, is well-known. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #13,787 of 63,914
  I suggested you try Ortofon ear tips. It improved clarity a lot. If budget is not about your concern, It has a lot of fun to customize with. I tried it with all of my eartips collection (JVC spiral dot, Final Type E, Ortofon, KZ's tips, Spinfit, etc..) and my own upgraded cables. At the end, I learnt a lot what characteristic of each ear tips be. Recently, I posted sale KZ ZST and not too long just 1 hour I can sell it. Perhaps people in my country feel impressed it rather than here. Same story with 茶楽音人 (saraundo) earphones & ear tips company. His earphones have a good sale in Japan but not in worldwide. In worldwide only his ear tips, Spinfit, is well-known. 

Ortofon will cost nearly double the price of the ZSTs themselves. And among the tips, I am a big fan of JVC's Spiral dots (I have never tried SpinFits) which works fantastically well for most of my IEMs (except for ZST).

For a supposedly under 15 USD IEM, investing all these extra accessories (that will add up the overall cost) to make them sound right (or acceptable) is just not worth it, IMHO. 

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #13,788 of 63,914
  Ortofon will cost nearly double the price of the ZSTs themselves. And among the tips, I am a big fan of JVC's Spiral dots (I have never tried SpinFits) which works fantastically well for most of my IEMs (except for ZST).

For a supposedly under 15 USD IEM, investing all these extra accessories (that will add up the overall cost) to make them sound right (or acceptable) is just not worth it, IMHO. 

To be fair though, if you compare the ZST's price with the cable and earphone tips its price is not immensely far off from the other IEMs which are well regarded like the **** UE (around 20 euros) or the Tennmak Pro (around 20 euros). I spent 11 and 13 euros on each of my ZST and the silver-plated cable was 7.62 euros. Assuming that the ZST is of similar quality to those other two IEM I referred, their prices are more or less aligned around the 20 euros mark, even with the accessories added.

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #13,789 of 63,914

In your condition, If you want to try a better hybrid earphone with a limited budget, I suggest you "Kinera Bd005". Same price level with KZ ZST. It's good once out of box (but still need burn-in). In my experience, KZ ZST need the customized-tuning a lot not only eartips but also a source gear to make incredible sound. I also think about KZ ZST that maybe depend on preference of each person. However KZ's is never my primary earphones. I decided to buy KZ's to make fun on customization.

Since I have a lot of own accessories to customize with. I never feel that it sums up cost at all. IMHO, I thinks silicone ear tips is the one of  the best investment in earphones hobby because it lasts long than any parts. In case of earphones, no matter what the price you get, as soon as new revision or next gen model of them come out. It become less value or make me feel bore to listen them.

By the way, I'm looking forward to the next KZ model, KZ ZST PRO. 
L3000.gif

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #13,790 of 63,914
  In your condition, If you want to try a better hybrid earphone with a limited budget, I suggest you "Kinera Bd005". Same price level with KZ ZST. It's good once out of box (but still need burn-in). In my experience, KZ ZST need the customized-tuning a lot not only eartips but also a source gear to make incredible sound. I also think about KZ ZST that maybe depend on preference of each person. However KZ's is never my primary earphones. I decided to buy KZ's to make fun on customization.

By the way, I'm looking forward to the next KZ model, KZ ZST PRO. 
L3000.gif

I already have **** 4in1 (bought for 28 USD), HLSX 808 (bought for 32 USD), LZ A2S (bought for 18.5 USD). They are fantastic hybrids with each providing unique sound signature and presentation (without any costly modification). 

About to get my hands on Moni One (bought for 50 USD) which according to few headfiers (who have already have them) are closer to the range of unmentionables (in terms of sound quality). Now, this is one IEM that I am very eagerly waiting to get my ears on 
biggrin.gif

As a long time KZ user (since 2014), I will sure buy the ZST Pro when it gets released (and is in an affordable price range for me).

Nov 28, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #13,791 of 63,914

To be fair though, if you compare the ZST's price with the cable and earphone tips its price is not immensely far off from the other IEMs which are well regarded like the **** UE (around 20 euros) or the Tennmak Pro (around 20 euros). I spent 11 and 13 euros on each of my ZST and the silver-plated cable was 7.62 euros. Assuming that the ZST is of similar quality to those other two IEM I referred, their prices are more or less aligned around the 20 euros mark, even with the accessories added.

You are right, but for 20 USD I would want them to sound at least a tier better than my existing KZ IEMs or comparable to my other similarly priced phones. 

FWIW, my 2 USD KZ R1 bought around year and half ago, easily outperforms my ZST in their overall clarity (that is a blasphemy, right!).
eek.gif

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #13,792 of 63,914
  You are right, but for 20 USD I would want them to sound at least a tier better than my existing KZ IEMs or comparable to my other similarly priced phones. 

That's fair, but most of your IEMs cost more than the KZ do, even with the modifications that are suggested:

**** 4in1 (bought for 28 USD), HLSX 808 (bought for 32 USD), LZ A2S (bought for 18.5 USD)

FWIW, my 2 USD KZ R1 bought around year and half ago, easily outperforms my ZST in their overall clarity (that is a blasphemy, right!).
eek.gif

That's not blasphemy, there's a lot of discrepancy in terms of quality for these under/around $20 chinese earphones. The only thing that says to me is that those KZ R1 might be worth buying. The KZ ATR are considered by some people in this thread as an improvement over the ATE, yet they cost almost half the price. That's not blasphemy either :wink: I don't have any sort of allegiance to the KZ brand, I just happened to buy the ATE and really appreciate them so I decided to try out other models in the KZ range. We're all here because we like sound, if I don't like the ZST or whichever else earphones I'll be honest about it.

For example I don't like the Piston Hybrids' signature, even though they do have qualities that I appreciate.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #13,793 of 63,914
....i just cant believe the KZdesigners screwed up;
awaiting my ZST... haizzz.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #13,794 of 63,914
just received my kz starline tips, bought 4 pack of them actually

the small one is my favorite, more 'cone'-ish shaped than regular kz tips. amazing when used with ate for me

the medium one is also good, i like that it feels grippy. i can't make kz ed3m to stay in my ears using other medium sized tips, but this one is just work

the large one kinda meh, doesn't feel any different from regular kz tips

i also notice that the inner bore thingy is longer than than the outer rubber thing, which i guess adding more room in accoustic chamber, i don't notice any difference in sound other than it offer a deeper fit though

tl;dr get the starline tips! it's less than a dollar a pack ***

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #13,795 of 63,914

That's fair, but most of your IEMs cost more than the KZ do, even with the modifications that are suggested:

Nope, my point was about within KZ range that I have got. With the modifications suggested for ZST (that is to buy a new set of cables costing 7 to 10 USD and Ortofon tips costing anywhere between 20 to 30 USD) will shoot up the overall price like crazy (that is roughly between 40-50 USD as a whole). In such scenario, I feel ROI on such setup will be much lower.

Those hybrids were mentioned for reference POV (as I am already comfortable with my existing under/near 30 USD Hybrid collection) to the other poster who suggested me to try Kinera hybrids.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #13,796 of 63,914
In fact I likes the sound from KZ ZST after my funny mix&match things a lot. I can feel it is superior than a $100-300 earphones from traditional brands. However each person has a different condition. I will try to answer and suggest my opinions based on the interlocutor's demand. 

P.S. I bought Ortofon tips directly from Japan. Its price 680 yen per pair if you buy one pair. and Its price become 2370 yen per pack (5 pairs). Anyway, The most popular one, SpinFit, is the most one I really dislike. 
mad.gif

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #13,797 of 63,914
  In fact I likes the sound from KZ ZST after my funny mix&match things a lot. I can feel it is superior than a $100-300 earphones from traditional brands. However each person has a different condition. I will try to answer and suggest my opinions based on the interlocutor's demand. 

P.S. I bought Ortofon tips directly from Japan. Its price 680 yen per pair if you buy one pair. and Its price become 2370 yen per pack (5 pairs). Anyway, The most popular one, SpinFit, is the most one I really dislike. 
mad.gif

I got your point, mate. I am not denying it. 

I have even acknowledged (few times before in this very thread itself) that besides the point of each listener having differing audio setups, hearing, and preferences, there is also the possibility of "faulty" product that could play spoilsport in an audio-chain. This may be the reason for my phones not sounding as great as the others who felt with theirs.

Nov 28, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #13,798 of 63,914
If anyone wants the ATR, now is the time to buy it on Gearbest.
I tried to buy it last night for 4$, but the flash sale ended and it was 5$. When i tried again today at noon they decided to extend the 4$ deal for another 12 hours or something.

So only 1$ difference, but hey! you can buy SMZ earphones with that dollar! 

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #13,799 of 63,914
I tried to buy it last night for 4$, but the flash sale ended and it was 5$. When i tried again today at noon they decided to extend the 4$ deal for another 12 hours or something.

I've already purchased like 6 pair because I really like them soundwise and want to have backups and at the 4 dollar price it's a no brainer, also want to gift a few...currently my favorite but still love ATE and ZST are moving up especially with the silver upgrade cable...still having fit issues with ZS3 although I love the sound..oh yea can't forget the ED9 still continues to wow me...value for dollar you can't beat KZ however I think I'm good on bargain IEM for now....waiting for the ten driver.....

Nov 28, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #13,800 of 63,914

Jeez, bought the ATR now too. Halp, I can't stop - I now have ZS3, ZST and ART on my way as well as the silver cable and foam tips... Let's see if any of these can beat my Shure SE215 I just recently lost...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back