Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 11, 2016 at 9:38 AM Post #13,336 of 63,914
As you very well know there are big discounts going on on Ali. The last time I bought one of these cheapo chi-fi products I was not disappointed, in fact I had just found my favourite audio device ever, the VE Monk. I see that these KZ iems are getting hyped like the VE Monks were. Which one should I buy considering I prefer detailed and clear sound? I really don't enjoy bass monsters that much but I like a punchy bass. My preference is vastly towards forward, clear, and detailed highs and mids. My most listened genre these days is uplifting trance (which does NOT benefit from bass unlike other forms of electronica).

Thank you, and I'm going to lurk this thread a bit now.

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #13,338 of 63,914
soundmagic es18 and piston v2

how does the zs3 compare to those two?

soundstage
bass mids
highd

To my ears and gears,

Soundstage width - ZS3 > Piston 2 > ES18
Bass - Boomy bloated bass that eats up all the other frequencies = ES18, slightly overpowering of other frequencies but still acceptable bass = Piston 2, Much better controlled bass that doesn't bleed much onto other areas = ZS3
Mids - ZS3 > Piston > ES18
Highs - ZS3 = Piston > ES18

#YMMV

Nov 11, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #13,339 of 63,914
  As you very well know there are big discounts going on on Ali. The last time I bought one of these cheapo chi-fi products I was not disappointed, in fact I had just found my favourite audio device ever, the VE Monk. I see that these KZ iems are getting hyped like the VE Monks were. Which one should I buy considering I prefer detailed and clear sound? I really don't enjoy bass monsters that much but I like a punchy bass. My preference is vastly towards forward, clear, and detailed highs and mids. My most listened genre these days is uplifting trance (which does NOT benefit from bass unlike other forms of electronica).

Thank you, and I'm going to lurk this thread a bit now.

Just in time to announce that I've finally compiled my post comparing KZ sets and expanded it into a full review!!

http://www.head-fi.org/products/kz-zs3-hifi-high-end-3-5mm-in-ear-earphone-headphones-earpiece-original-headset-bass-earbuds-with-microphone/reviews/17284

etysmile.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #13,340 of 63,914

the zs3 are as tip-sensitive as any iem i've heard--with foams they're bass monsters, while with something like triple flanges they're almost neutral. i personally found the best balance with a smaller-than-typical size spinfit-type tip, which preserved details without losing the low end.

T400 sized foamies for the ZS3?

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #13,341 of 63,914
  I guess we both have the same preference. I have ED12 and ZST and I really thought that both units were defective. Muffled bass and treble, very dull sounding and breathless, instrumentation is quite congested, then I bought Tennmak Pro thinking that maybe my players were at fault too. But when I tested the Pro, both my phone and DAP sounded great.

Pro's highs are defined and bass is controlled, I can compare it to ED9 with much better bass punch, treble on both are quite the same.

Try your T-Pro with any HI PITCHED song...my T-Pro just messed up the ABBA voices, but with my ED9 (bought just hours ago), ABBA voices were soooooooo clean & sweet...

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #13,342 of 63,914
  T400 sized foamies for the ZS3?

for me there was too much bass with comply-type foamies, but your experience may very well be different--there's lots of variable that affect how you hear it. i'd experiment and see what works best ofr you.

Nov 11, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #13,344 of 63,914
  Oops, sorry mate. I feel responsible for this. When first posted my impression of the ZSTs I genuinely liked them, they fit the best and sounded pretty good, loved that tight bass. They were my daily pairs on my 3 hours a day subway commute for a couple of weeks. I don't know if it's the effect of burn-in or the tips, I got the TFZ Series 5 a while back and they replaced the ZSTs on my commute for about 2 weeks. Now that these Comply tips arrived, I listen to them again, and they sounded... different. Not all bad, bass got boomy but highs improved..

Can you resist not giving them a go?

I am the nosy type. I would go to a restaurant that everyone says its bad, just to confirm it. Sounds so quite stupid saying it like this, lol.

I actually like the ZSTs better than TFZ Series 5 pre Harakiri mod, if that would bring comfort to you. the TFZ costs about $60.

No worries mate. "Can you resist not giving them a go?" uurrrrggh you done it I'm gonna open them out and try. Unlike most people here I can't bear keeping IEMs I don't use so I'll probably sell the pair that I like less after letting the ZST burn in. If anyone's from where I can sell them to you :) Good thing I didn't discover the TFZs before my impulse buy haha! I noticed some KZ designs are eerily similar....
  I'm a little bit lost with all the options, can you guys help me out?

Listening to Hip Hop 90% of the time and I'm quite sensitive to sharp highs, so I'm looking for a warmer sounding IEM.
After some research I narrowed it down to the following choices:
ATR
ZS3
EDR2
ZST

Any idea which one suites my preference best? I'm also open to buy two pairs.

Welcome and looks like you won't leave this thread without spending hahaha. I haven't tried the EDR2 but I have for the others and done a review on the ZS3 (with more info on the sound signatures). For warm sound you are better off with the ATR and ZS3. Main difference is ZS3 is less laid back in sound presentation and more bass rumble (= warmer to some people?). While the highs on ATR/ZS3/ZST are not really sharp (for the ZS3 it was sparkly yet not sibilant), the best treble IMHO goes to ZST. Simple reason being it is a BA, sounded great even when I demoed with stock cables. But due to the high impedence of stock cables @CoiL mentioned the silver cables for the ZST are a must unless you want a boomy bass and clean treble confusing your ears. Take note BAs being BAs they are more smooth and clear rather than warm for the treble. Take note ZS3 is finnicky with fit.

the zs3 are as tip-sensitive as any iem i've heard--with foams they're bass monsters, while with something like triple flanges they're almost neutral. i personally found the best balance with a smaller-than-typical size spinfit-type tip, which preserved details without losing the low end.

I know right! Thankfully I don't use foams much (don't want more bass then I already hear) as I can't bear the constant expense of changing. Wax is a real burden. I'm gonna try KZ star tips and widebore ones when they arrive.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #13,347 of 63,914
anyone awake?

KZ-ZST...dual, hybrid drivers...is this a good buy at ALi for 17bucks??

edit..huh 10bucks??? its showing 17 now

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #13,348 of 63,914

soundmagic es18 and piston v2

how does the zs3 compare to those two?

soundstage
bass mids
highd

To my ears and gears,

Soundstage width - ZS3 > Piston 2 > ES18
Bass - Boomy bloated bass that eats up all the other frequencies = ES18, slightly overpowering of other frequencies but still acceptable bass = Piston 2, Much better controlled bass that doesn't bleed much onto other areas = ZS3
Mids - ZS3 > Piston > ES18
Highs - ZS3 = Piston > ES18

#YMMV

Hmm the ZS3 bass shouldn't be so boomy compared to your other IEMs. Hopefully it will sound better with different tips.

anyone awake?

KZ-ZST...dual, hybrid drivers...is this a good buy at ALi for 17bucks??

edit..huh 10bucks??? its showing 17 now

If you are getting the ZST be sure to order the KZ silver upgrade cable. More details in my review of the ZS3.

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #13,350 of 63,914
Ended up purchasing the ZST and XE800 on 11.11! Curious to see how the ZST compares to the ZS1, and how the $18AUD "100% Original Authentic" XE800 compares to my 2 year old XE800 xD
EDIT: wrong thread. ATR also on the way from Gearbest!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back