Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Nov 4, 2016 at 9:34 PM Post #13,158 of 63,915
I received my ATR order today from Gearbest.  Initial impressions:

Mine came with the foam tips installed.  One tip was kinda smooshed from the way it was packaged, and they did not feel comfortable.  I swapped them out for Spinfits and like that much better.  The ATRs sound good straight out of my iPhone 6S with Tidal, but even better through the Mojo (no surprise there).  The highs sound a bit sharp to me, and the shape is weird....... the long canals and end weighting make it difficult to keep them in at the optimal angle.  I got a tragus piercing in one ear before I started this IEM odyssey, so fit is always a problem for me.  The Spinfits help with that. 

These are very detailed, and the bass kicks yet is not distorted.  I think these flatter female vocals vs. males, as the bass bleeds into the mids a bit.

That being said, these are the best under $5 IEMs I have.  Actually, they are the only under $5 IEMs I have, as the Monks are $5 and are earbuds.  If they could be put in a casing that I could fall asleep with (ear on pillow) I'd pay at least 20x more.  These may replace the Rock Zircons as my work IEMs.  These sound much better than the price would imply!

Nov 5, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #13,159 of 63,915
I received my ATR order today from Gearbest.  Initial impressions:

Mine came with the foam tips installed.  One tip was kinda smooshed from the way it was packaged, and they did not feel comfortable.  I swapped them out for Spinfits and like that much better.  The ATRs sound good straight out of my iPhone 6S with Tidal, but even better through the Mojo (no surprise there).  The highs sound a bit sharp to me, and the shape is weird....... the long canals and end weighting make it difficult to keep them in at the optimal angle.  I got a tragus piercing in one ear before I started this IEM odyssey, so fit is always a problem for me.  The Spinfits help with that. 

These are very detailed, and the bass kicks yet is not distorted.  I think these flatter female vocals vs. males, as the bass bleeds into the mids a bit.

That being said, these are the best under $5 IEMs I have.  Actually, they are the only under $5 IEMs I have, as the Monks are $5 and are earbuds.  If they could be put in a casing that I could fall asleep with (ear on pillow) I'd pay at least 20x more.  These may replace the Rock Zircons as my work IEMs.  These sound much better than the price would imply!

You sure you have the Atr? As far as I know the Atr doesn't come with foam tips but the ate does.

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #13,160 of 63,915
Ruben... read the thread, I just talked about ATR and some do come with foam tips.

I don`t notice any bass bleed into mids but I agree on kick, no distort and details. 

Nov 5, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #13,162 of 63,915
KZ tends to "upgrade" packages/materials like we have seen on ATE. GB hasn`t added those foams since the ones that had foams installed were wrapped(melted) in plastic. Go back and read my post.

Nov 5, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #13,163 of 63,915
  KZ tends to "upgrade" packages/materials like we have seen on ATE. GB hasn`t added those foams since the ones that had foams installed were wrapped(melted) in plastic. Go back and read my post.

Yes, the box I received was in a sealed plastic wrapper like CoiL's.  The foam tips were on the ATRs, and there was a small plastic bag included with 3 pairs of silicone tips.

I placed an order for another few pairs of the ATRs in case of breakage or loss....... at that price I can afford some backups!

Nov 5, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #13,166 of 63,915
I think
Ed9, ed3c, ate or Atr, ed10 and hds1. But to be fair most of the posts now are about the Atr and zs3

Judging the ED3 by the ED3 S3 model, I think it over rated. IMO, the top 5 KZs are 1. ATE/ATR 2. ED9 3. ED10. 4. ZS3 5 ED8.

Note I also have and compared the ED4, ED4 S4, HDS3, ED7, Zn1 Mini, and EDR2. The last of which might be in the top 5, depending on comfort of the ED8.

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #13,167 of 63,915
@carltonh i feel that ed3 kinda underated, and it has different sound than ed3c/ed3m

popularity wise, I guess the order would be like this
1. ate
2. zs3
3. ed9
4. edse/ed2/edr1(they're all the same)
5. ed10

that's probably the iem that gonna show up if you search for "knowledge zenith" on google

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #13,169 of 63,915
  Is there any different between ATE and ATR ??  

Different sounding. ATR has more balanced and detailed(clearer) sound while ATE has smoother highs, bigger and more open soundstage (better frontal depth) and slightly fuller/bigger sounding bass.

My top pick from KZ would be (not in order of preference):
ATE
ATR
ED9
EDSE
EDR2
HDS1
ANV (discontinued unfortunately)

Haven`t tried them yet but I think ZS3 and ZN1 mini would be also on that list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back