Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 28, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #9,827 of 64,385
EDR2 vs HDS1

it is more evident for me now: I cant exactly put my finger on the EDR2. It sounds clear, though it can output (for me!) lots op bass. Im more of a neutral kind of person, though I must say Mozart's symphonies do shine with these buds. I think this is what Sennheiser IE80 must sound like, when I read those reviews. Not exactly neutral, maybe some small lifted treble and a bit more lifted sub bass.

My search, along with some other members here, is to find a KZ that sort of mimics the Havi sound - for using outside or just because we dont want to break our beloved Havi earphones. The EDR2 unfortunately is not what we are looking for, the bass is too strong although Im sure most of you would find them bass light. Compared to the HDS1, which is more mid centric, they both offer very clear vocals. EDR2 just a bit clearer because its highs are slightly lifted which, to be fair, gives that HiFi feeling to your music: you can just hear that breath of the singer a bit better, hear the "air" in the music. The HDS1 doesnt do that as well, but its sound is more neutral overall. A bit too thick mids to be exactly considered neutral, but it certainly is more neutral than the EDR2. HDS1's mids are thicker, fuller sounding and I could not say which I like better. Forget the bass and I would say the EDR2 wins, but look at the whole picture and the bass is just too much for me, again, most of you will find them bass light and the HDS1 probably anemic. HDS1's bass still is lots more than ED9's though, which is, compared to the Havi, also still too bass "heavy" for me.

The cable sound when touching it is aweful on the EDR2 though. Please KZ, make another KZ like the ANV but then with ED9's sound with a tad less bass, the same clear mids, and a tad less harsh highs.

Open question to you all: If you know another cheap IEM that does this kind of (Havi) sound, please let us know!

Great impressions @Ruben123! Was waiting hear what you thought of the EDR2 vs. other KZs 
beerchug.gif

I wholeheartedly agree with many of your observations, but to a lesser extent those concerning neutrality of the EDR2 vs. HDS1. I found the EDR2 to be slightly more neutral and definitely more "HiFi" due to the extra clarity and detail, but both are off-neutral for different reasons. EDR2 due to it's mild treble lift and minor sub-bass boost, HDS1 due to it's excessive mid-bass and overly relaxed treble. Reminds me a lot of my ATE in that regard. The mid-bass on the HDS1 throws things out of balance to my ears, and that's the primary reason why I hear the EDR2 as the more neutral of the two. In the end I still think the EDR2 can replace the ED9 and HDS1 since it has many the strengths of both models (soundstage, clarity, and mids of the ED9 mixed with the smooth signature of the HDS1) with a bit of it's own character thrown in. I put it right up there with the Monk in the "bang-for-buck" category considering you can get them for as little as 6 bucks (less than what I paid for the Monk since shipping was free, versus~5 CAD to ship the Monk).

I also found the EDR2 really receptive to eqing, similar to the ZN1 Mini and to a lesser extent it's bass-monster brother the ZS1. It's pretty easy to mess around with bass and treble levels (mids are fine where they are imo) to bring them more in line with the B3. Not sure if you play around with eq often, but it's worth a go. 

Concerning bass on the EDR2, that was primarily why I was asking earlier if other EDR2 owners noticed that the vents near the strain relief were glued shut. I'm 99% sure the EDR2, at least my pair, are fully closed which should make a notable difference in bass presentation. 

As much as I am okay with KZ's current cables, it is pretty much mandatory to wear them over-ear to nullify the noise. I would love to see them bring back the ANV's cable as it really is excellent. Doesn't tangle, is fairly thick and durable but still flexible, and transmits little noise.

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #9,828 of 64,385
Actually I never used Ali before. One of my old friend had to pay huge custom charge for his laptop(purchased from Ali).

It will be very helpful, if you explain me the process of payment and delivery.

Take my word and don't even worry about customs for things costing <$20 at all. They won't charge for it. I can blindly tell that hefty customs would be charged for things such as laptop. 

I use Mastercard credit card (VISA/MAESTRO credit card would work fine as well). They have bunch of other options as well, just register on AliExpress, go to the order page and then post your doubts. I'd be more helpful if you come across some specific issue than to vaguely explain entire process. 

On the product page itself you get to choose delivery mode and they also provide shipping cost there (if applicable). Sometimes you'd see 'Aliexpress Standard Shipping' but it's just a encompassing name for multiple low cost shipping services. 

In all modes you'd get Tracking number which you can track using 17track.net

Feb 28, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #9,829 of 64,385
Hallo Everybody!

I'm after buying 4 pairs of KZ due to reading this thread, so I thought I'd sign in and thank/blame you all.
tongue.gif
(No blame for earphones, for lowering my bank balance).
I have also bought the Xduoo X2 and I am looking at the X3 or the Fiio X1. But that's a different topic for a different thread.
I also started looking at amps, and that beautiful looking one in Photos by Podster (I Followed it to kickstarter).

In the end I bought the KZ ED9, KZ ATE, KZ ED4 and the KZ ED10.... I could have kept going! I had 9 pairs in my basket as I read through the thread, it rose up to 12, then to 15. I had to cull. I wasn't even sure which to cull.
But they are the final 4 I went with.

I was originally buying KZ HDS2, also from Aliexpress, but from a different seller. I had read a review here - http://mysku.ru/blog/aliexpress/37282.html recommending them, and was using that store.
I had never heard of Knowledge Zenith before then, and unfortunately the HDS2 were one of the pairs I removed from my basket. No doubt I'll pick them up again.

There are so many types. I was like a kid for the first time in a sweet factory.

I have a question also.
When purchasing a pair, you have the choice of with or without a microphone. I never listen to music on my phone, but would an added microphone make any difference to the overall sound or performance of the earphones?

One last question. How do any of you have any money in you bank accounts?
tongue_smile.gif
Self restraint? Angry Partners controlling your finances?

I've a feeling I'd be broke fairly quickly from this forum
blink.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #9,830 of 64,385
  Discussion of the S3 and S4 seems to have completely dived off, but now I've got mine, and ready to discuss them. :)

So the awfully explosive nature of the S4 (aka Z1) has tamed down significantly, and now it is just a refined U signature, more than V-shaped. In fact, that U-shape and need for ~100+ hours to get it fully broken in reminded me of the famous JVC FX40, which I also have. I broke that out of storage and sure enough, they are massively similar, in all sonic ways. Now I might also add many more hours to the ED4 and see if it does the same. I still can't tell with certainty if the only differences between the S4 and ED4 are the number of hours on them. (My S4 has more, I gave up on the ED4 too early perhaps.)

I have the S3 now, and out of the box it is great. Somewhat balanced with a mild extra kick in the bass.

Both of these can compete (with more evaluation time) for my favorite KZ along with the HDS3, and maybe the EDR2 when it arrives. But these, IMO, are ahead of the ED4, ED8, ED10, ATE-S, and ZN1 Mini, which I also own.

+1....Than you're hearing what I'm hearing! 
beerchug.gif

I'm quite disappointed with the Xiaomi hybrid headphones. Of my collection of iems and headphones they sound the most dark, lacking in high frequencies very much.
The Joyroom E107 is a much better option, in a nice package btw.

+1 I agree, Joyroom E107's are no joke! Plus, It definitely took me a long time to get a decent sound out of the Xiaomi hybrids.....it was all about about "tip-rolling".

EDR2 vs HDS1

it is more evident for me now: I cant exactly put my finger on the EDR2. It sounds clear, though it can output (for me!) lots op bass. Im more of a neutral kind of person, though I must say Mozart's symphonies do shine with these buds. I think this is what Sennheiser IE80 must sound like, when I read those reviews. Not exactly neutral, maybe some small lifted treble and a bit more lifted sub bass.

My search, along with some other members here, is to find a KZ that sort of mimics the Havi sound - for using outside or just because we dont want to break our beloved Havi earphones. The EDR2 unfortunately is not what we are looking for, the bass is too strong although Im sure most of you would find them bass light. Compared to the HDS1, which is more mid centric, they both offer very clear vocals. EDR2 just a bit clearer because its highs are slightly lifted which, to be fair, gives that HiFi feeling to your music: you can just hear that breath of the singer a bit better, hear the "air" in the music. The HDS1 doesnt do that as well, but its sound is more neutral overall. A bit too thick mids to be exactly considered neutral, but it certainly is more neutral than the EDR2. HDS1's mids are thicker, fuller sounding and I could not say which I like better. Forget the bass and I would say the EDR2 wins, but look at the whole picture and the bass is just too much for me, again, most of you will find them bass light and the HDS1 probably anemic. HDS1's bass still is lots more than ED9's though, which is, compared to the Havi, also still too bass "heavy" for me.

The cable sound when touching it is aweful on the EDR2 though. Please KZ, make another KZ like the ANV but then with ED9's sound with a tad less bass, the same clear mids, and a tad less harsh highs.

Open question to you all: If you know another cheap IEM that does this kind of (Havi) sound, please let us know!

Try the Sendiy M2. Same concept as the ED9's with two tunable nozzles, but really takes you to another level. I own both.
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #9,831 of 64,385
Very interesting. I have ATE translucent ones and i definitely hear wayy less details than with EDSE. I do however like ATE for live concerts and recordings since they are almost never

on detail level of studio recordings but their great soundstage gives an interesting sound with live material. 

Perhaps a lack in build consistency is to blame. My first translucent ATE I thought had excellent soundstage whereas the other one I just bought has just ok soundstage.

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #9,832 of 64,385
Great impressions @Ruben123! Was waiting hear what you thought of the EDR2 vs. other KZs 
beerchug.gif

I wholeheartedly agree with many of your observations, but to a lesser extent those concerning neutrality of the EDR2 vs. HDS1. I found the EDR2 to be slightly more neutral and definitely more "HiFi" due to the extra clarity and detail, but both are off-neutral for different reasons. EDR2 due to it's mild treble lift and minor sub-bass boost, HDS1 due to it's excessive mid-bass and overly relaxed treble. Reminds me a lot of my ATE in that regard. The mid-bass on the HDS1 throws things out of balance to my ears, and that's the primary reason why I hear the EDR2 as the more neutral of the two. In the end I still think the EDR2 can replace the ED9 and HDS1 since it has many the strengths of both models (soundstage, clarity, and mids of the ED9 mixed with the smooth signature of the HDS1) with a bit of it's own character thrown in. I put it right up there with the Monk in the "bang-for-buck" category considering you can get them for as little as 6 bucks (less than what I paid for the Monk since shipping was free, versus~5 CAD to ship the Monk).

I also found the EDR2 really receptive to eqing, similar to the ZN1 Mini and to a lesser extent it's bass-monster brother the ZS1. It's pretty easy to mess around with bass and treble levels (mids are fine where they are imo) to bring them more in line with the B3. Not sure if you play around with eq often, but it's worth a go. 

Concerning bass on the EDR2, that was primarily why I was asking earlier if other EDR2 owners noticed that the vents near the strain relief were glued shut. I'm 99% sure the EDR2, at least my pair, are fully closed which should make a notable difference in bass presentation. 

As much as I am okay with KZ's current cables, it is pretty much mandatory to wear them over-ear to nullify the noise. I would love to see them bring back the ANV's cable as it really is excellent. Doesn't tangle, is fairly thick and durable but still flexible, and transmits little noise.

I tried to close the holes off but it didnt make the EDR2s sound less "bassy". Guess mine are closed then :)

I too agree completely with you! It's all relative. For some the ER2 will sure be bass light, for others it might me too much. Too much doesnt mean I dont enjoy them though! I even think these EDR2s might be the best all of a kind KZ has delivered. The bass will enjoy pop listeners (right now listening to Michael Jackson), the treble and mids will please classical music listeners and the slightly thickened bass but overall somewhat balanced sound does good right to country/acoustical music too.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #9,833 of 64,385
A colleague of mine and I both bought KZ ATE earphones with microphone. The sound is terrific, but we both have problems with the microphone. The microphone rarely works ok in most situations it is just giving buzzing sounds. I have tried it both on a Windows 10 PC and Android smartphone, but it is the same? Do you know how can it be fixed, or is it just the quality of the microphone is bad and there is nothing that can be done about it?

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #9,834 of 64,385
So i just found this thread by luck and i can see too many people like KZ products so i am willing to try this brand. have a 10$ budget and already have rock zircon, still didn't try it. what do you recommend from KZ that completes the zircon? i am using public transition a lot so i need good noise isolation and good bass

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #9,835 of 64,385
  So i just found this thread by luck and i can see too many people like KZ products so i am willing to try this brand. have a 10$ budget and already have rock zircon, still didn't try it. what do you recommend from KZ that completes the zircon? i am using public transition a lot so i need good noise isolation and good bass

kz ate-s

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #9,836 of 64,385

ED3 Acme youth and grab some Auvio's for your Zircons...thank me later 
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #9,837 of 64,385
  ED3 Acme youth and grab some Auvio's for your Zircons...thank me later 
biggrin.gif

thanks for the ed3 youth recommendation. i was going to order ed10 but cancelled it because i think it's close to zircon.

saw many recommended auvio tips for zircons. any idea if the individual tips are the same tips come with their earphones? sorry if stupid question :D

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #9,838 of 64,385

thanks for the ed3 youth recommendation. i was going to order ed10 but cancelled it because i think it's close to zircon.

saw many recommended auvio tips for zircons. any idea if the individual tips are the same tips come with their earphones? sorry if stupid question :D

I'm not sure about the stock tips... I can tell you I have the Zircon's and they never sounded better than with the Auvio tips. I actually wasn't a big fan of the Zircon due to the exaggerated bass but the sound with the Auvio's is fantastic IMO. They still have that deep bass but it sounds so much better and balanced now.
I also had the ED10 but never really warmed up to it and sold it off... the ED3 Acme is a blast though with great low end and a sparkle of detail.
BTW I ordered the Auvio's from Amazon and feebay. I would say they run to size so if you take medium order medium and I would try the Auvio tips on the Zircons before ordering any other cheap iem. Just my 2 cents.

Feb 29, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #9,839 of 64,385
Hey all,

I got my ZN1 Mini in just over a week ago, have had it burning in for around 20 - 25 hrs and have been listening through it for just a few hours (spread over a number of times). Does it change with more hours on it? So far, I had higher hopes for it :p ! As it stands I wouldn't really recommend it over the ATE (translucent).  For me, fit of the ATE is actually better than the ZN1 Mini (and so, of the ZN1 and ZS1 too I suppose). The business end of the fit is all good (nozzle, and tip) on both, but the body is longer: still fits but barely. Also an issue with the cable - the cable exits the bud straight up & ends up about in the middle of my ear. As a result I barely manage to loop it over my left ear, and on the right side it keeps coming off (this is without moving my head or walking).

Good soundstage, not enough (for my taste / hope, and coming from ATE) subbass extension - not using an amp though. Bass is a bit more punchy than my ATE, it's faster which is welcome. I think it may still be a little rolled off on high frequencies, but less so than ATE. On the ATE I'm very aware of it and it bothers me, on the ZN1 Mini it's less apparent and doesn't bother me when listening casually. Apart from the subbass thing, it does well with electronic music from my laptop and phone, on the Xduoo X2 (which is a warm source) I found myself gravitating to 'Soft' EQ at first which dials the bass down a fair bit. This opened up / gave room to mids and highs to my ear, I found it to sound a bit muddy congested. I'm mostly listening to electronic stuff through it but more and more often find myself turning eq off or using 'jazz'. Don't know if I'm just getting used to the sound of the iem, or mids and highs are gaining ground in relation to the lows (burn-in or mental burn-in??). It seems to take EQ really well, almost becomes a different IEM with different settings. Haven't been listening to bands & acoustic stuff with it as I reach for the Monks 9 out of 10 times for that. I think may generally prefer the air that open style buds (and headphones? bring.

Does anyone here own the Joyroom E107 as well as some KZ's? I'm curious about comparisons, for instance with the EDR2 & HSD1... Have the EDR2 on the way, but am hearing lots of good stuff about that Joyroom.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #9,840 of 64,385
Thanks for impressions Pulpfiction! Reading Your comparison against ATE(v2) then I think I`m going to skip ZN1mini too (though, it is very good material for modding and could possibly overcome my modded ATE(v2). Only "leftovers" in my to-buy KZ list are now HDS1 and EDR2.

About other IEM`s... I`ve been also reading lot of good feedback on Joyroom and they are also in my potential to-buy list.
Another one I recommend to try is Yinjw "IE800" wooden version which in modded configuration is my fav IEM atm and even slightly better than modded ATE(v2).

Would appreciate when You share some feedback about EDR2 vs. ATE too when You receive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back