Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 27, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #9,812 of 64,379
Overshadowed is the word I call it for the mids and highs. They are bass dominant or bass centric. I think they (mids & highs) are there as they should be but bass always takes the lead for me and with all genre. If I listened to a lot if Electronica the ZS1 would be a great inexpensive iem.

Feb 27, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #9,813 of 64,379
Overshadowed is the word I call it for the mids and highs. They are bass dominant or bass centric. I think they (mids & highs) are there as they should be but bass always takes the lead for me and with all genre. If I listened to a lot if Electronica the ZS1 would be a great inexpensive iem.

Might be interesting to try, hardly will break the bank either.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #9,814 of 64,379
IMHO any of those listed would work great with the X1, riggt niw on Ali you can puck up both the ED9 and ZN1Mini for $20 and have two great sound signatures. That's just my $.02:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Nothing wrong with ATE (Translucent), ED10/11 or the ZS however the ZS truly is a bassheads delight once again IMO. Good luck with whatever you choose and enjoy:smiley:

Thank YOU for quick reply.
But in my country it will almost cost $25(kz zn1, ed10 and 9 each)from ebay and buying this from Ali also involves lots of problem due to custom. I never used any KZ before, but are they really worth paying $25 or should I go for other brands.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #9,815 of 64,379
Thanks for the tip. Yeah I noticed that HDS3 sounds beautiful and nicely warm, thick even with my defective pair. I love that kind of sound <3 Nice, I love that music too, lot of that on my playlist. Can you give a quick listen to Moonbeam - Atom and Moonbeam - Secret please and comment on which one of the two earphones represent it better? (Basically which one would be good for EDM, Trance etc).

Same here, I'm still not sure about comfort and fit of earbuds but since it's something with great sound I won't miss : )

I had a quick listen to both the songs on my tab directly. I prefer hds3 output because of more bass, rumbling kind and extra warmth. Though I like edr2 and her clear treble too.
Comes down to personal preference, I say.
I don't really listen to edm/trance though I do have a few tracks with me. Mainly because I like vocals a lot. :D

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #9,816 of 64,379
But in my country it will almost cost $25(kz zn1, ed10 and 9 each)from ebay and buying this from Ali also involves lots of problem due to custom. I never used any KZ before, but are they really worth paying $25 or should I go for other brands.

Not really sure what other iem's you can get in your country but you may have better choices in the $25 range. IMO $25 for anything other than the original ZN1 is minimum $10 too much and many can be had between $5 and $7! I mean you could if shopped wisely get 3 or 4 KZ's for $25:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 27, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #9,818 of 64,379

I would have paid $25 and been happy for my translucent ATE.
Don't know what I would recommend if you don't amp though.
Seems like a lot of people in here like to use their KZ's straight out of phone, DAP, whatever

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #9,819 of 64,379

In India as I assume from your username? If so then no worries at all, there are no customs issues at all, I've bought almost all KZ IEMs for <$10 on Ali and got it delivered to Mumbai with free shipping and no customs were charged ever. 

I had a quick listen to both the songs on my tab directly. I prefer hds3 output because of more bass, rumbling kind and extra warmth. Though I like edr2 and her clear treble too.
Comes down to personal preference, I say.
I don't really listen to edm/trance though I do have a few tracks with me. Mainly because I like vocals a lot. 
biggrin.gif

I see... thanks for the opinion : ) I mainly listen to EDM/Trance and know HDS3 would be the one for me : )

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #9,820 of 64,379
  In India as I assume from your username? If so then no worries at all, there are no customs issues at all, I've bought almost all KZ IEMs for <$10 on Ali and got it delivered to Mumbai with free shipping and no customs were charged ever. 

I see... thanks for the opinion : ) I mainly listen to EDM/Trance and know HDS3 would be the one for me : )

no customs were charged ever ? I also reside in Mumbai. If that's the case, then I am going to get some on Ali. which KZ would you suggest for a mids lover? I prefer a warm and lush sound with no mids recession.

Feb 28, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #9,821 of 64,379
  no customs were charged ever ? I also reside in Mumbai. If that's the case, then I am going to get some on Ali. which KZ would you suggest for a mids lover? I prefer a warm and lush sound with no mids recession.

Nope for earphones. Only time I was charged customs was when I bought Topping NX1. But that's all. You can see my signature for my list of earphones. All KZs were purchased from Ali. Also just as a tip, go for Singapore post option whenever available. It's the fastest one for China -> India transit while still being low cost / free.

I'd suggest ATE (not the ATE S version). Mids are a bit dark but beautiful sounding. HDS1 is cool as well with balance across frequencies. HDS3 is its slightly more V shaped version IMO.

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:22 AM Post #9,822 of 64,379
  Brightness can give the illusion of greater detail but it can be the result of a higher noise floor. I do not prefer gear with bright treble as it may sound more impressive immediately but with extended listening is definitely less detailed & revealing.

I have found the silver KZ ATE is too bright for my tastes.  I will give it away to a friend.

The translucent ATE is still my favorite with a much more laid back tone. It is IMO the most detailed and, most importantly, best bass when amped. It seemed to be the same overall tone but more balanced and less aggressive sounding.

The ATE-S I hope will burn in to be better sounding but I am not very hopeful. It seems to have the same brightness as the silver ATE but a lot more bass. The bass is not much different than the ATE without an amp, but with an amp it is very powerful. I have mixed feelings about it though because while it is not muddy, it is a bit close to being muddy IMO. For the price it is not bad at all given how powerful the bass impact is, I still prefer the bass of the translucent ATE the most. It is more refined, has better sub bass response, and is more balanced sounding than the ATE-S.

When I use my friend's KZ ED9 they are too aggressive and bright for me.

I am hoping the translucent ATE I have in the mail will sound like my previous translucent ATE which I broke. If not I will be very sad as those were spectacular IEMs I preferred over the majority of my collection.

Very interesting. I have ATE translucent ones and i definitely hear wayy less details than with EDSE. I do however like ATE for live concerts and recordings since they are almost never
on detail level of studio recordings but their great soundstage gives an interesting sound with live material. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #9,823 of 64,379
Agree with @EISENbricher on buying KZ IEMs from Aliex. I too have never been charged customs duty for any of my KZ IEMs (almost all of them came through china registered airmail). However, ordering from mp4nation using Singapore post, it was a different case. Had a bad experience with My S0 purchase a year back (paid a hefty customs duty that was twice the amount of what I had paid for the IEMs themselves). Same was the case with Penonaudio few weeks back on a purchase of Xduoo X3 for my colleague (again using Singapore post, this time the customs duty by officials was much lower and reasonable, though).

In my experience, customs duty for large part is kinda russian roulette with Indian officials. Packages that are big/heavy/more conspicuous/containing Lithium battery are more than likely to attract some form of customs charge when used in combination with postal services such as Singapore post (very quick of the lot for India, among free postal services used by most chinese sellers). 

@Debarghya Das - Go ahead with Aliexpress for KZ IEMs purchase instead of someone like hifinage (just guessing, he was the one you were intending to purchase from) who is ripping customers off with exaggerated pricing/tax/shipping or over priced Ebay sellers.  For the starters try with a single pair of KZs and see how it goes.

JFYI, My favt KZ IEM is HDS1 (more balanced sound signature and works with all kinds of genre, provides great fit for my ears as well)

Cheers!

Feb 28, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #9,824 of 64,379
  Very interesting. I have ATE translucent ones and i definitely hear wayy less details than with EDSE. I do however like ATE for live concerts and recordings since they are almost never
on detail level of studio recordings but their great soundstage gives an interesting sound with live material. 

Just for a tip if you are using foamies with the ATE then I'd recommend to switch to wide bore silicones. Foamies as well as narrow bore silicone dampen highs.

@Debarghya Das - Go ahead with Aliexpress for KZ IEMs purchase instead of someone like hifinage (just guessing, he was the one you were intending to purchase from) who is ripping customers off with exaggerated pricing/tax/shipping or over priced Ebay sellers. 
Cheers!

Yup, Indian sellers are ripping off too much. I can see lot of KZ stuff on Amazon.in, Ebay.in and HiFinage but the prices are ridiculous. I won't mid paying some premium for the time I save against ordering from AliExpress but the difference is just too unfair that the wait is more than worth. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back