Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 27, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #4,036 of 64,381
I tried experimenting with foam inside brass filters it but then they sound more or less like Gold filters. Anyways I'm really happy with the stock brass filter and the rich micro details it provides.

You should try more different materials and sizes :wink: I managed to get proper setting and all the microdetails remained while sharpness got removed :wink:

May 27, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #4,040 of 64,381
  You should try more different materials and sizes :wink: I managed to get proper setting and all the microdetails remained while sharpness got removed :wink:

I doubt I will... there are two ways to reduce the sharpness and one is foam way and other is tip way. I opted for Sony Hybrids to smooth out the highs a bit and that did the trick for me.

May 27, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #4,041 of 64,381
Yeah, tips is another option but harder to "apply" for everybody.

May 27, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #4,042 of 64,381
Don't know what that means but anyway it's cool either way. It's final sound that matters.

May 27, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #4,043 of 64,381
  Nice review Twister6. Although I don`t agree with some things about ED9 sound impressions (not so important and might come from source difference), overall good review.
ED9 (gold) has a more balanced sound with an enhanced low end.

Sorry that I disagree but with gold filters ED9 is rather V-shaped sound signature than balanced. Personally wouldn`t call it balanced.

Quote:
with gold filter ED9 and ATE have a similar soundstage.

- ATE vs Pistons 2 (w/filter mod): ...while treble is similar, and so does soundstage.

Some here have mentioned ATE soundstage being larger or same as ED9 and I definitely find ED9 soundstage noticeably larger in every direction than P2, even with gold filters - just makes me thinking about Your soundstage comparison.

Not trying to make Your review incorrect, just some things I noticed and our hearing/source gear is different and impressions subjective.

I really recommend You to try brass filters with some foam inside :wink:

When I will receive my ATE, I will try to make my own short "review" & findings about ATE vs. ED9 vs. Piston2.

That's what Head-fi is about, to express our ear-pinion from a different perspective?  Soglasen? :wink:

I meant "more balanced" relative to brass filter since I'm evaluating it as a comparison, and I did mention that I found mids to be slightly behind, though in my opinion I didn't hear them too recessed to call v-shaped.  But it doesn't matter, and I'm glad you can add your perspective on that.  I'm pretty sure you spent a lot more time with these IEMs.  Unless someone is a total noob who writes "this is a best pair of headphones I ever heard, and I'm hearing things now I never heard before", there is no such thing as "correct" or "incorrect" review since we all hear things differently and use different sources.

With gold filter ED9 highs are not as bright and airy, and that was contributes to my perception of soundstage width/depth, another relative comparison.  With brass filter, ED9 is superior over P2 in terms of staging, but with gold I heard them on a similar level.  Btw, my P2 is modded with filter removed.  Btw^2, i tried brass filter with a foam from gold filter, and wasn't too happy about the change.  Just a personal preference, oh and btw I'm using Cayin N6 as a source.

May 27, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #4,044 of 64,381
Thanks for explaining Your perspective :wink: Makes sense.

May 27, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #4,045 of 64,381
I currently have the KZ EDSE, the DT3 and the ED8.  Awaiting delivery of ED9 and ATE.  I continue to be amazed by how good all of these KZ iems sound.  Their speed to market with so many good sounding iems, all with unique sound signatures, is absolutely amazing  Other manufactures do annual or semi-annual product roll-outs.  These guys do monthly or bi-weekly roll-puts.  And not a real clunker in the bunch!  Are they the best sounding iems on the planet?  No, but if anyone in this industry consistently manages to hit the 80/20 rule (80% of the sound for 20% of the cost), it is KZ.  

May 27, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #4,046 of 64,381
  I currently have the KZ EDSE, the DT3 and the ED8.  Awaiting delivery of ED9 and ATE.  I continue to be amazed by how good all of these KZ iems sound.  Their speed to market with so many good sounding iems, all with unique sound signatures, is absolutely amazing  Other manufactures do annual or semi-annual product roll-outs.  These guys do monthly or bi-weekly roll-puts.  And not a real clunker in the bunch!  Are they the best sounding iems on the planet?  No, but if anyone in this industry consistently manages to hit the 80/20 rule (80% of the sound for 20% of the cost), it is KZ.  

+1, the VFM here is too good. They do have a bright future ahead. 

May 27, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #4,049 of 64,381
Just received my ATE (silver). All I have to say atm is that this is absurd how good stuff KZ is making for so little money!
Probably going to order translucent ATE also because already itching to wood-mod + cable change ATE and ED9 
tongue.gif

Soon to say which I like more because ED9 has already "burned into my brain" but ATE is also very good! 

For newcomers to KZ-land, definetly order both - ED9 and ATE, they are just amazing value for the money! 
etysmile.gif

May 27, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #4,050 of 64,381
  Just received my ATE (silver). All I have to say atm is that this is absurd how good stuff KZ is making for so little money!
Probably going to order translucent ATE also because already itching to wood-mod + cable change ATE and ED9 
tongue.gif

Soon to say which I like more because ED9 has already "burned into my brain" but ATE is also very good! 

For newcomers to KZ-land, definetly order both - ED9 and ATE, they are just amazing value for the money! 
etysmile.gif

Getting translucent ATE as well 
wink.gif
  I'm just itching to gut one of my other IEM with mmcx connector so I can mod ATE with it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back