Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 25, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #4,006 of 63,916
  Wait, do people actually think burn-in does something?

smily_headphones1.gif
Do Earphones or Headphones have moving parts operated by electric current, Like diaphrams , armatures or pistons, wiring or circuits and in the case of speakers Spiders, coil and Magnet assemblies? If the answer is YES, Then I maintain there is some type of break in to achieve maximum performance. As with ANY other electronic or mechanical device. With some devices the effect is minimal, with others there is a Huge difference.

JMHO and I'm sticking with it.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

May 25, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,007 of 63,916
Please lets not discuss this topic here anymore...

May 25, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #4,009 of 63,916
Okay, so now I received my ED9s as well, still waiting for the ATE. Well, actually two pairs of ATE, I'm another victim of the evil KZ plan of releasing a transparent black version just after the first order having been shipped.. 

First of all, I'm really not an über audiophile with super trained ears, I just like my music. With that being said:

Because I use my IEMs on my daily commute, straight out of an iPhone 6 (I know, I know, but having just one player, that can either play files or stream whatever I feel like listening to at the moment at 320kbps with Spotify is pretty convenient..), foam tips are a must for the isolation. Recently bought some Chinese "comply" tips, which are actually pretty nice, but with them, I found that the bass on the EDSE could become a bit too overpowering, to the point where I actually had to EQ them a bit in order for them not to become fatiguing. With the brass nozzles on the ED9 with the same tips, I feel that the lower end has become less boomy and overpowering, and quite a bit tighter and more detailed. Definitively not by any means lacking though, it just balanced it all out nicely to the point where I don't feel a need to EQ anymore. Overall, with the brass nozzles, these feel more airy than the EDSE, more detailed and with greater separation. Which to me is pretty awesome, considering how much I like the EDSE.

So far, about two hours in, I'm really quite impressed. I just hope that they will isolate as well as the EDSE, otherwise I'm afraid that the extra detail is going to get lost on safe volume settings. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow! It's also going to be interesting to try them out with my Clip+/NX1 as well, when I have the time. 

Some oddities though - first of all, one of my brass nozzles has one little breathing hole, but the other one has two? Haven't really been able to notice this making a lot of difference so far, but I'm going to have to experiment with this.

Also, I bought a pair of KZ GR at the same time, more for the nozzles than anything else. However, it seems like the threads on the GR nozzles aren't quite the same as on the ED9, so I can't screw them all the way in. Oh well, I'm definitely not going to complain either way, brass nozzles feel more or less spot on anyway, although it's going to be interesting to see what kind of mods you guys come up with.. :)

May 25, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #4,010 of 63,916
Try some silicone tips which are very soft and have large opening + brass nozzles :wink: Imo ED9 doesn`t require so perfect sealing to sound as good as it sounds. Heck, eisenbrich even tried them without nozzles and said it was good ;D
If You don`t like or use Your GR, then it is pretty good cable donor to ED9 :wink:

May 25, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #4,011 of 63,916
  Try some silicone tips which are very soft and have large opening + brass nozzles :wink: Imo ED9 doesn`t require so perfect sealing to sound as good as it sounds. Heck, eisenbrich even tried them without nozzles and said it was good ;D
If You don`t like or use Your GR, then it is pretty good cable donor to ED9 :wink:

Yeah, I'm sure silicone tips would work fine in a home setting (might even be better, SQ wise), but since I'm on a rather noisy bus two hours per day, no matter of detail makes any difference unless I have enough isolation to be able to enjoy it.. :)

May 25, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #4,012 of 63,916
  Also, I bought a pair of KZ GR at the same time, more for the nozzles than anything else. However, it seems like the threads on the GR nozzles aren't quite the same as on the ED9, so I can't screw them all the way in.

This is kind of frustrating, as I too have ordered a pair of GR, just for the red nozzles, based on the claims of two posters in this thread. 

Also, although there are claims that the red GR nozzles are best in the ED9, no one has stated exactly what improvements can be expected.  Only general statements that the red filters are the "best." 

May 25, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #4,013 of 63,916
You can use those red GR filters with ED9 but they don`t seal properly against ED9 body due to winding being too long. I don`t know who stated them being best but imo they are not. Brass filter with proper foam inserts is best imho 
etysmile.gif

May 25, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #4,014 of 63,916

This is kind of frustrating, as I too have ordered a pair of GR, just for the red nozzles, based on the claims of two posters in this thread. 

Also, although there are claims that the red GR nozzles are best in the ED9, no one has stated exactly what improvements can be expected.  Only general statements that the red filters are the "best." 

I can skew it in like this without any problem.  Every filter has its functionality. If you like it then it's the best. 

May 25, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #4,015 of 63,916
seems You have different red filters. Yours have no hole? I have holes in red filter and I can`t screw them fully against ED9 body.

May 25, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #4,017 of 63,916
With my red filters, that would be completely impossible without quite a lot of force.. As for CoiL, mine really aren't even very close to being fully screwed into the body. I'm pretty sure it has to do with more than just the length of the filter, because when I tried the gold ED9 filter in my GR, I could almost push it into place without even screwing, so it seems that the threading on the ED9 filters is slightly thinner than the filters on the GR.. 

May 25, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #4,018 of 63,916
My gold filters on the ED9 have to be installed a certain way, as one will not screw all the way into the left side. Brass filters are fine.

I guess that's one "downfall" of such an inexpensive product. Personally, I don't care, but for those who bought the GR for the filters and ran into this issue, I get where you're coming from.

May 25, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #4,019 of 63,916
I think older version of GR had holes and newer version have no holes, that`s where the difference and problem is coming from. 
As much as I know KZ official store isn`t selling older version with holes. I bought mine from different aliexpress seller who had older version in stock.
it seems that the threading on the ED9 filters is slightly thinner than the filters on the GR.. 

Exactly.

May 25, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #4,020 of 63,916
My gold filters on the ED9 have to be installed a certain way, as one will not screw all the way into the left side. Brass filters are fine.

I guess that's one "downfall" of such an inexpensive product. Personally, I don't care, but for those who bought the GR for the filters and ran into this issue, I get where you're coming from.

Keep twisting and I suspect the filter will go in. One of mine does that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back