Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 6, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #10,576 of 64,190
  Measurements

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-one#Gz3bKXxMR1AZu8Bv.97

The first image is my measurements of the three KZ I own with 1K as reference frequency.
The second image is Harman's Curve of a completely flat speaker measured on the ear drum, which is basically the ideal curve for headphones to sound like the perfect speakers in a perfect room.
The link is a must read for headphones lovers and what considered Flat to our ear; information about Harman's curve.

Just by quickly looking at the first graph you can see that the ED9 are VERY close to what a perfect headphones should sound like.
The descend from 3k to 10k should be smooth, a bass boost from 200Hz down should present.
I have no idea how the Chinese achieved that result with the ED9 but it is almost perfect, BUT it needs a small tweak to bring its full potential.

I use the Bass (short) nozzle with my ED9 plus added foam to remove the small resonance at 14k and flatten the response.
The Normal (long) nozzle has a very high 10k peak that doesn't behave well, like the other KZ headphones on the graph.
So if you don't like your ED9 initially try to add some more foam till they sound smooth and balanced to you.
I cut a strip of foam and shoved it with a toothpick in the middle so it folded in half when entered the nozzle.
If the sound is too muffled compared to your beloved speakers or other headphones just remove the foam strip and cut a small corner from it and reinsert.
Note that you really want to compare the ED9 to some quality speaker; if you don't like how the ED9 sounds after the tweaks you reference speakers are crap.

Note that I don't use a professional dummy head but several diameter garden hoses (one inside the other) on a mic.
Cheap but effective!
wink.gif

Anyway, if you have doubt about what headphone to get first go with the ED9, pack some more foam into the Bass nozzle till it sounds balanced, enjoy.
Or better yet, measure till it looks smooth and then fine tune.
ksc75smile.gif

Appreciate all the work but...

1) We all have different hearing.
2) Different tips (fit & bore size) and ear-canal physical differences affect sound result.
3) FR graphs don`t paint the whole picture about IEM SQ. For me it tells only about 1/3 of IEM sound quality.
4) Perfect speakers in perfect room isn`t same as perfectly sealed IEM in ear.
5) Everything isn`t always measurable. Waterfall FR graphs will show more but it`s hard to paint picture about imaging/transparency/separation/soundstage with just FR graphs.

It`s worth nothing to others but my personal subjective opinion is that ED9 are slightly V-shaped signature (even after foam mod with both nozzles) and imaging/soundstage is slightly inferior to ATE(translucent black non-S version), also ED9 highs can be slightly harsh and sibilance at times. I`ve had 4 ED9`s and differences are non-existent (even after burn-in).
Though, all the ones I had(have) are silver/shiny ones.

My personal opinion about balanced KZ IEMs: ANV > ED10 > ED9(brass/longer nozzle with foam)

Just my 2 cents
wink.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #10,578 of 64,190
  KZ In-Ear Headphone Audio Comparison

Without further ado, here is a zip file (14 MB) with wav files:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/9jd2e2m9wxm0iki/KZ_In-Ear_Comparison.zip

Hi James. Thanks for sharing your research with us. Very interesting. I have a couple questions.

1. Are these recording done with or without the EQ applied? (The one you say you adjusted with pink noise)
2. Are your frequency response measurements done with or without the EQ applied?
3. What is the length of the ear canal (garden hose) you used?

Thanks!!! 

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #10,579 of 64,190

Hi James. Thanks for sharing your research with us. Very interesting. I have a couple questions.

1. Are these recording done with or without the EQ applied? (The one you say you adjusted with pink noise)
2. Are your frequency response measurements done with or without the EQ applied?
3. What is the length of the ear canal (garden hose) you used?

Thanks!!! 

Hi.

1. The recordings are done without EQ; the EQ is applied later to sound like what I hear in my ears and what you hear on the recording.
2. Frequency response measurements are Without EQ only through my adapter straight into the mic, if I would show you the corrected ED9 curve it would by absolutely flat because it was my reference.

3. The length is about 1cm not the standard of 1" or 2.5cm like human ear.
What you see on the measurement graphs is by no means a reference or what a professional acoustic dummy head will record, it is meant only to show how smooth the response of the headphone is and general shape of the frequency response.
The db values on the graph mean absolutely nothing, and change drastically with the length of the hose (ear canal) and its material.

What I did was to cut the piece of hose to fit with my mic capsule diameter so that the center resonance frequency of the canal was in 3k like the Harman's graph or like a real human ear canal.
My reference was the ED9 so I used a Auto-ED plug-in that can auto equalize a Source frequency response to a Target frequency response.
The source was a pink noise and it EQed the ED9 to sound exactly like the pink noise so what you hear on the ED9 track is basically the original source recording.
If the ED9 was the reference (EQed flat) you can understand that all other earphones are in reference to it.

If I were to use the ZN1-Mini as reference and EQ it flat, all other earphones would sound ear piercing with tons of treble.

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:36 AM Post #10,580 of 64,190

Hi.

1. The recordings are done without EQ; the EQ is applied later to sound like what I hear in my ears and what you hear on the recording.
2. Frequency response measurements are Without EQ only through my adapter straight into the mic, if I would show you the corrected ED9 curve it would by absolutely flat because it was my reference.

3. The length is about 1cm not the standard of 1" or 2.5cm like human ear.
What you see on the measurement graphs is by no means a reference or what a professional acoustic dummy head will record, it is meant only to show how smooth the response of the headphone is and general shape of the frequency response.
The db values on the graph mean absolutely nothing, and change drastically with the length of the hose (ear canal) and its material.

What I did was to cut the piece of hose to fit with my mic capsule diameter so that the center resonance frequency of the canal was in 3k like the Harman's graph or like a real human ear canal.
My reference was the ED9 so I used a Auto-ED plug-in that can auto equalize a Source frequency response to a Target frequency response.
The source was a pink noise and it EQed the ED9 to sound exactly like the pink noise so what you hear on the ED9 track is basically the original source recording.
If the ED9 was the reference (EQed flat) you can understand that all other earphones are in reference to it.

If I were to use the ZN1-Mini as reference and EQ it flat, all other earphones would sound ear piercing with tons of treble.

Let me see If I understand:

1. About the recordings:
1.1: First, you mount the hose around the microphone.
1.2: Then, you mount the IEM inside the hose.
1.3: You do not apply any EQ at all.
1.4: You start recording the microphone signal.
1.5: Then, you push play on "Skin O' My Teeth"
At this point you save the recordings, and those are the exact same you shared with us?

2. About the frequency response graphs.
2.1: First, you mount the hose around the microphone.
2.2: Then, you mount the IEM inside the hose.
2.3: You do not apply any EQ at all.
2.4: By some means you measure the frequency response.
2.5 You graph the frequency response "as-is", without doing any kind of compensation.
At this point you save the graphs and those are the exact same you shared with us?

3. About the EQ on the ED9.
After you finish steps 1 and 2, you apply EQ to the ED9?
Would you please explain to me again, why are you applying EQ to the ED9? I mean, to what purpose?
Are you applying that EQ just to slightly correct the ED9 to match the flat response of your monitors? That would be to obtain an EQ setting that would give you flat frequency response music playing?

Or did I just got everything wrong?
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #10,581 of 64,190
1.6 Apply EQ.
1.7 Export to wav.

2. correct.

3. No.
I apply EQ so that the ED9 through the mic to look EXACTLY like the pure pink noise after the Auto EQ pug-in.
I send a pink noise to the EQ as a Source.
I send a pink noise through the ED9 and the Mic as a Target.
I tell the Auto EQ to equalize the Target to look exactly like the Source.
The result is the "pink noise->ED9->mic->EQ" spectrum looks exactly the same as just pink noise to the analyzer.

Now I have a "Source->ED9->Mic->EQ" loop that sound exactly the same as a pure Source.
The EQ corrects the "ED9->Mic" part to sound like the Source.

Makes sense?

EDIT:
Some info about making your house and tuning it.

A longer hose will lower the resonance frequency, a shorter one will raise it.
A narrower hose will also lower the resonance frequency.
The Bass will remain the same.

To find the perfect hose length to match the average human 3k peak resonance I ran pink noise through the studio monitors and placed a mic at my head position.
Looking at a frequency analyzer I cut pieces of the hose with scissors and replaced the mic to head level till the resonance peak was at 3k.
*Luckily, my old hose was tuned exactly to 3k so the measurements I've posted are still valid.

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #10,582 of 64,190

Appreciate all the work but...

1) We all have different hearing.
2) Different tips (fit & bore size) and ear-canal physical differences affect sound result.
3) FR graphs don`t paint the whole picture about IEM SQ. For me it tells only about 1/3 of IEM sound quality.
4) Perfect speakers in perfect room isn`t same as perfectly sealed IEM in ear.
5) Everything isn`t always measurable. Waterfall FR graphs will show more but it`s hard to paint picture about imaging/transparency/separation/soundstage with just FR graphs.

It`s worth nothing to others but my personal subjective opinion is that ED9 are slightly V-shaped signature (even after foam mod with both nozzles) and imaging/soundstage is slightly inferior to ATE(translucent black non-S version), also ED9 highs can be slightly harsh and sibilance at times. I`ve had 4 ED9`s and differences are non-existent (even after burn-in).
Though, all the ones I had(have) are silver/shiny ones.

My personal opinion about balanced KZ IEMs: ANV > ED10 > ED9(brass/longer nozzle with foam)

Just my 2 cents
wink.gif

Wow! we all do hear differently don't we...I could never rate the ED10 above the ED9. I bought 3 pair of the ED10 when they first came out and was initially pleased with them but each consecutive listen brought new problems for me. I found the treble harsh and the overall presentation of the music just not to my personal tastes. The ED9 on the other hand never ceased to impress me, yes I detected the harshness in the treble but due to the design of the brass nozzles I was able to add and\or remove material to create a very pleasing detailed high end. I also appreciate the mids and lows of the ED9. They continue to sit on my desk ready for action instead of the iem drawer. 
That's the great thing about this hobby... that one member can find musical enjoyment in one hp that another may not. Works great for the manufactures as well.
Happy listening 
etysmile.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #10,583 of 64,190
  Wow! we all do hear differently don't we...I could never rate the ED10 above the ED9. I bought 3 pair of the ED10 when they first came out and was initially pleased with them but each consecutive listen brought new problems for me. I found the treble harsh and the overall presentation of the music just not to my personal tastes. The ED9 on the other hand never ceased to impress me, yes I detected the harshness in the treble but due to the design of the brass nozzles I was able to add and\or remove material to create a very pleasing detailed high end. I also appreciate the mids and lows of the ED9. They continue to sit on my desk ready for action instead of the iem drawer. 
That's the great thing about this hobby... that one member can find musical enjoyment in one hp that another may not. Works great for the manufactures as well.
Happy listening 
etysmile.gif

I'm with you CAD however I also understand where Coil is coming from but as long as we all remember we hear things differently the is no harm or foul
biggrin.gif
As I've stated many times for my hearing nothing has unseated my ED9's in the KZ lineup to date but they will produce more and hopefully get even better than what they have offered so far
wink_face.gif
There will always be a pair of mic'd ED9's in my car for all errands
beerchug.gif

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #10,584 of 64,190

I'm with you CAD however I also understand where Coil is coming from but as long as we all remember we hear things differently the is no harm or foul
biggrin.gif
As I've stated many times for my hearing nothing has unseated my ED9's in the KZ lineup to date but they will produce more and hopefully get even better than what they have offered so far
wink_face.gif
There will always be a pair of mic'd ED9's in my car for all errands
beerchug.gif

Agreed...have you heard the ED3c? Might have asked before if so apologies but it may be my favorite KZ right now
eek.gif
along with the 9's. Just does so many things right for the price, smooth with nice bass and decent highs. I don't find it too laid back and polite on my system.
Still lusting for the black ED9... they look sexy!

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #10,585 of 64,190
Agreed...have you heard the ED3c? Might have asked before if so apologies but it may be my favorite KZ right now :eek: along with the 9's. Just does so many things right for the price, smooth with nice bass and decent highs. I don't find it too laid back and polite on my system.
Still lusting for the black ED9... they look sexy!

Yeah the ED3c ACME and EDR2 were my last KZ's and to be fair I have not really put any burn on either yet nor given them much time:confused:

My FI OOTB on the 3c I can hear they can reach pretty far into each freq. range and I have high hopes after a good 120-150 hours they unseat the HDS1 for me.

I've put the EDR2's in two or three time now and they sound a little thin and missing even across the board sound I hear (who knows if I can even hear):unamused: I had seen a few post and had higher expectations for the EDR2's. But burning them in because a couple of KZ's had a major SQ change after 100 plus hours:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It's this stuff right here that keeps me trying incpensive Chinese iem's:smiley:

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #10,586 of 64,190
I want to try the ED3c (Acme red/blue) but also found the S3 which is grey and also says Acme.

So we have 3 version as mentioned many times on this thread.

ED3 Perfection, old version known to sound bad, or am I wrong?
ED3c Acme, very balanced and sound excellent but only in Red or Light Blue...
mad.gif

S3 Acme, only one seller on Aliexpress with a computer generated image (no real photo)? Very strange, suspicious I am...

Anything I should know before I buy?

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #10,587 of 64,190
  I want to try the ED3c (Acme red/blue) but also found the S3 which is grey and also says Acme.

So we have 3 version as mentioned many times on this thread.

ED3 Perfection, old version known to sound bad, or am I wrong?
ED3c Acme, very balanced and sound excellent but only in Red or Light Blue...
mad.gif

S3 Acme, only one seller on Aliexpress with a computer generated image (no real photo)? Very strange, suspicious I am...

Anything I should know before I buy?

I wonder if that's the KZ ED4S you're seeing?
http://www.lazada.co.th/kz-ed4s-wired-noise-cancellation-in-ear-earphones-silver-5160217.html

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #10,588 of 64,190
Just ordered the ED3c, HDS1, EDSE.
Along with the previous lot I'll have ED9, ATE-S, ZN1-Mini, EDSE, HDS1, ED3c.

When they arrive I will post a full audio comparison along with frequency responses and personal opinion.
popcorn.gif

BTW, I'm open to requests about measurements and song choice for comparison.

Apr 8, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #10,590 of 64,190

Two of the best KZ in my opinion, ATE with foam & ED9 gold nozzle + spinfit cable reterminate with nickel jack... hds1, edr2 are still shipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back