Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 20, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #1,021 of 64,810
  Does anyone can compare the KZ's to the Philips SHE3590, Huawei Honor and others ~$10 options? Need some advice on building my stock of Christmas gifts :D 

Against my SHE3580 (or 3590) with equalizer settings to balance out the spectrum, this is how it plays out compared to the ES and ED Special Edition. I won't compare it stock, since the SHE3590 is sounds just above average without any EQ. The SHE3590 being receptive to EQing is what makes it special, imo.

Extension
Sub-bass: EDSE > 3590 > ES
Mid-bass: 3590 > ES > EDSE
Mids: ES > 3590 > EDSE
Treble: ES > 3590 > EDSE

Detail retrieval
Bass: 3590 > ES > EDSE
Mids: 3590 = ES > EDSE
Treble: ES > 3590 > EDSE

Soundstage and 3D effect
Width: 3590 > ES > EDSE
Depth: ES > 3590 > EDSE
Imaging (what I'd call accuracy of positioning, to put it bluntly): ES > 3590 > EDSE

I won't dwell on tonality and sound signature. But I believe these parameters are easily identifiable during A/B comparisons.
Also, do note that my SHE3580 have well over 1000 hours on it. My ES have close to 150 hours while the EDSE have close to 100 hours.

In terms of build quality, the SHE3590 has an injection molded jack. Its 3.5 jack isn't hollow, so the copper core isn't likely to break even with repeated bending, which often happens when you move around the music player or when the player is in the pocket. The only caveat is the cables can be brittle after a long time, especially when you leave them tangled. The cables literally fall apart when that happens. I roll up mine like you would a garden hose or lasso, so it's still very elastic after nearly 3 years. The ES and EDSE on the other hand have better cables and an L-shaped jack, although I can't attest to their longevity yet as I've only owned them for a month.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #1,022 of 64,810
Very nice @SymphonyX7! Thanks for the attention.

After your comparisons i'm leaning towards the Philips, they seem to offer a better overall value sound wise. There is a seller at ebay that sells them $12 the with free international shipping.

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #1,023 of 64,810
Very nice @SymphonyX7! Thanks for the attention.

After your comparisons i'm leaning towards the Philips, they seem to offer a better overall value sound wise. There is a seller at ebay that sells them $12 the with free international shipping.

but since your going to buy them for gifts, IMO, the KZ looks much more premium.

Oct 20, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #1,024 of 64,810
Yup. Great price. The cables and case alone are worth $30.

All of the KZ aliexpress store is 30% off right now + coupons.

Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered the Platinum LE's for $23 :)

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #1,025 of 64,810
The KZ ANV

Out of the box I was very very impressed with the build quality. It is on par with some 300 dollar models. Cable is thick and flexible, strain reliefs are all in the right place, it has a cable cinch, and the polished metal housings are built like tanks.

Sound out of the box was meh. They definitely need an amp to shine, but with my source plugged into any of my amplifiers I am pleased with the sound. It is very balanced and has a chill vibe to the sound. Nothing stands far out in front of anything else. Is it giant killer sound? NO

These would be a good pick for anyone who prefers the es over the edse. They would be a good purchase for anyone looking for a KZ earphone with less bass than their product line normally has.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #1,029 of 64,810
Greetings all.  I'm a long time lurker (many, many, many years) and first time poster.  Frankly, I can’t believe it has taken me this long to finally make an account.

I stumbled across these earbuds late last night.  After too many hours of back-and-forth contemplation and hours of reading this thread, I pulled the trigger around 3am, bought two pairs of each: KZ-GR and KZ-EDSE, and then convinced myself to go finally shut off the brain and go to sleep.

I wanted to thank you guys, both as creators and purveyors of this thread in particular, and as a representative subset of Head-Fi as a whole (please relay my gratitude to all the other members – haha).  As a lifelong audio junkie with an affinity to buck marketing trends and find the best sound for the cheapest price, I admire this community and especially this thread.  So, modestly, thank you to everyone here for all that you do.  It feels like I’ve found my long-lost, audio-obsessive but not snobbish family.

Can’t wait to get these buds.  And likewise, can’t wait to get my feet wet in this community.  You guys are all great.

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #1,030 of 64,810
Hey Hisoundfi, that's a fantastic review. I believe you own a ton of KZs, could you tell me what are your current favorites are? :)
If you like bass, I prefer the kz ed special edition, the kz r3, kz dt3, or the kz gr.

If you like balanced sound, go with the kz micro ring, kz ed3, kz es, or kz anv

Others to consider is the cm9. It's got North of neutral bass with better than average mids and treble

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #1,031 of 64,810
If you like bass, I prefer the kz ed special edition, the kz r3, kz dt3, or the kz gr.

If you like balanced sound, go with the kz micro ring, kz ed3, kz es, or kz anv

Others to consider is the cm9. It's got North of neutral bass with better than average mids and treble

Perfect breakdown, thanks!

I'm about to get all of those models, so I'll check the sound out first hand. Again, thanks!

Oct 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #1,032 of 64,810
KZ ES benefits from burn-in. For my ears now the sound is worth up to 20-30 USD level, but not even a cent more than that... Although at the 8 USD price even the cable and jack are worth it, not to mention the good quality eartips. The biggest problem with ES is eartips included with the iem. Although they are very good quality, they certainly ruin the SQ. I have tried many eartips and best sounding ones appeared to be Hifiman White Silicone Double Flanges. After the Hifiman eartips subbass also came to a desired level (even slightly more to my liking). I like its overall balance but sound is not refined to my liking... For 8 USD, no brainier...  I am planning to use the cable to mod my MH1C :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back