Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Mar 10, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #10,006 of 64,391

Thanks! Would you say ZN1 mini has the deepest/widest soundstage out of all kz?

IMO ED8m has the deepest and widest soundstage among KZ. But ZN1 mini has big soundstage too.

Thanks for the info bro.
So back to ATE-S or W1 Pro choice.
Why on earth they didn't do a Z1N ampless (with mic)?
Any new model incoming from them?

Not that i know of. 

I have the HDS1 and do not feel they are that similar to (my favorite) ED9 brass...HDS1 is fairly neutral as KZ's go IMO and I find the ED9 brass having more detail and overall treble energy. The HDS1 for me can sound a bit flat coming from a ED9. I have the EDSE and the EDR2 and am still going back and forth but may prefer the EDSE which is lively and musical. The EDR2 can get a little ragged for me in the treble but I am still comparing the two and the EDR2 is relatively new with only a couple days burn-in. I actually prefer the ED3c over the EDR2 or EDSE. I couldn't get a correct fit with the ZS1 so I'm not able to use them. I have the ATE and it seems smooth and dark with rolled of highs but I keep it because it's musical and warm.
This is coming from my Beresford Capella amp, Bushmaster MKII DAC, Samsung Blu-ray player and Audio Art cables while listening to CD's and most importantly these are my own personal opinions.

I was not saying that they are very similar, but just from his current inventory I provided upgrade routes that will go well taking into consideration his preferred sound signature.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #10,008 of 64,391
And that picture wld'nt be sexy if it doest have the jds ultra short cable...... :wink:

My bad, I went right out and ordered two from John when you suggested it to me Shawn:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

THX:beers:

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #10,009 of 64,391
  I haven't followed this thread in a very long time since August - which are the best KZ right now? 
I have Ed9 , ATE , ED10. I really enjoy the ED9 sound - the ED10 is to bassy for me. I enjoy the ATE as well but I think ED9 sounds better.

Thanks!

ED9 is one of my top favorite KZ's and I would say to try the ED3c which is the ED3 Acme youth. Good detail, nice bass and a bit smoother and refined than most at this price point IMO.

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #10,010 of 64,391
It always pains me how ED8m was ignored by many because of its ergonomic issues (size and weight). They produce the most beautiful midbass texture added with nice touch of subbass. IMO they have very wide soundstage and airy highs. Mids are nice and clean. Isolation is very good too. Add to that tank-like durability as well.

I have both Red and Blue ED8m, Blue sounds a bit deeper than the Red. Anybody ready to take the pill? This is a keeper : ) 

Btw we crossed 10k guys!!! nobody noticed? 

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #10,011 of 64,391
  It always pains me how ED8m was ignored by many because of its ergonomic issues (size and weight). They produce the most beautiful midbass texture added with nice touch of subbass. IMO they have very wide soundstage and airy highs. Mids are nice and clean. Isolation is very good too. Add to that tank-like durability as well.

I have both Red and Blue ED8m, Blue sounds a bit deeper than the Red. Anybody ready to take the pill? This is a keeper : ) 

Lol most IEMs are too heavy for me, even the very light ones like EDR2. Big/heavy is a problem. ED8...? Wont even have to try :p

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #10,012 of 64,391

I also have the ED8. And I really like the sound, but it just feels odd in my ear. I keep thinking that I'll get around to trying it with over-ear guides, but I keep getting new IEMs to spend time with. :p

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #10,013 of 64,391

Awesome! I was suppose to be out of here weeks ago but I can't stay away...

10K+ lets celebrate! popcorn for all~

popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #10,014 of 64,391

Lol most IEMs are too heavy for me, even the very light ones like EDR2. Big/heavy is a problem. ED8...? Wont even have to try :p

If you feel that EDR2 is heavy then ED8m is strictly a no lol. EDR2 feel light as a feather after using ED8m. 

I also have the ED8. And I really like the sound, but it just feels odd in my ear. I keep thinking that I'll get around to trying it with over-ear guides, but I keep getting new IEMs to spend time with. :p

They go very well with ear guides, I also use them behind the ear. Even without ear guides they fit very well behind the ear fashion. YMMV though. Do some tip rolling as well. 

When wore cable down the weight feels but behind the ear they are much comfortable, maybe due to up pull acting as counterweight.

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #10,015 of 64,391

You have the HDS1 right? 

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #10,016 of 64,391
With over 100s of hours usage, my KZ R1, a less popular and old model from KZ (bought for mere 2 US$ few months back, thanks to the timely heads-up from @dbhai in this very thread ) provides me the best sub-bass rumble and mid-bass among 7 KZ IEMs that I have (BTW, I do not have latest ones such as Z series or older ED8 to compare this against them)

Listening to Progressive house genre on these, simply fantabulous. Elevated mid-bass presence (which I had felt OOTB) has largely subsided (brain-in/burn in?) and now adds a superb touch to genres that need a bit of oomph when it comes to bass presence. Mids/vocals are pretty clean and crisp for both male/female. Treble may not be its forte but it does well handling most of the treble centric tracks without feeling dry/missing or overbearing. Last but not the least to me is how beautiful the soundstage  is on these, width is approximately (again just my ears) similar to and at times surpassing my older ATE silver version (original).

R1 is my daily driver, sleep-time phones for the last few months and I am using mid sized wide bore silicone tips of Piston 2 on these.

My audio setup is Fiio X1 with LO on Topping NX1 LG, audio tracks are combination of mp3s and m4as.

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #10,017 of 64,391
With over 100s of hours usage, my KZ R1, a less popular and old model from KZ (bought for mere 2 US$ few months back, thanks to the timely heads-up from @dbhai
 in this very thread ) provides me the best sub-bass rumble and mid-bass among 7 KZ IEMs that I have (BTW, I do not have latest ones such as Z series or older ED8 to compare this against them)

Listening to Progressive house genre on these, simply fantabulous. Elevated mid-bass presence (which I had felt OOTB) has largely subsided (brain-in/burn in?) and now adds a superb touch to genres that need a bit of oomph when it comes to bass presence. Mids/vocals are pretty clean and crisp for both male/female. Treble may not be its forte but it does well handling most of the treble centric tracks without feeling dry/missing or overbearing. Last but not the least to me is how beautiful the soundstage  is on these, width is approximately (again just my ears) similar to and at times surpassing my older ATE silver version (original).

R1 is my daily driver, sleep-time phones for the last few months and I am using mid sized wide bore silicone tips of Piston 2 on these.

My audio setup is Fiio X1 with LO on Topping NX1 LG, audio tracks are combination of mp3s and m4as.

You are not alone :) ....this my 2nd fav next to ED9,fm KZ and true, these fit like a glove,just like my jlab J6,cx280,re-400 etc. Another bed timer to me too. The build,the supplied 3 pair blue tips were a huge surprise to me,after I spent some time initially listening to them for its asking price,coz its sound.such a wonderful package but not sure/wonder why KZ didnt set to production (why so v. limited),the quantity they manufacture just like their other models. :frowning2:

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #10,019 of 64,391
  With over 100s of hours usage, my KZ R1, a less popular and old model from KZ (bought for mere 2 US$ few months back, thanks to the timely heads-up from @dbhai in this very thread ) provides me the best sub-bass rumble and mid-bass among 7 KZ IEMs that I have (BTW, I do not have latest ones such as Z series or older ED8 to compare this against them)

I love my R1 as well!!! Good nostalgia. Haven't used then since 2-3 months but now I have an urge to pull those out. Totally agree about  the sub bass. 

From the KZ the 'Bass Trio' should be 

KZ ED10 : Most fluid bass
KZ ED8m : Most textured and punchy bass
KZ R1 : Most rumbling sub bass 

ZS1 should be included in as well, but I'm not able to determine their 'bass personality' as I did above. Maybe someone can help finding correct term. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back