Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 9, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #9,541 of 63,916
HDS3 arrived... Sadly this is a faulty pair and left earpiece sounds muffled.
I've raised a dispute, let's see how it goes.

Btw, from right side alone I can say that these will sound better than HDS1, if both side work. HDS3 sound airier, fuller and has solid, hitting bass which is not uncontrolled /bloated. I could clearly hear the vocals as well.
In fact, even with this muffled left earpiece the amount of airy feel I get is phenomenal. These are easily the most airiest sounding KZs yet!

Size wise these are almost equal to HDS1. The metal used adds premium feel but isn't heavy. Cable used here is much different than stock KZ table, jack included. Connector is not gold plated. The mic looks excellent and premium.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #9,542 of 63,916
My ED3 Youth, ED4 and HDS1 arrived today. Out of the box, the HDS1 is the best of the three. 

Here are my quick impressions of the earphones. These are based out of the box using stock tips and with no EQ.

ED3:
Bass: Sub-bass is a little light but still has presence. Midbass has more body and more impact. Overall, the bass is quite controlled and the quality and quantity is pretty good. 
Mids: Vocals are little laid back but are clear with decent detail. It seems like the upper mids take a dip and sounds artificial.
Highs: Treble sounds rolled off but there is still some sparkle and details left. When things get fast, highs can sound messy. I'm not sure why but highs can get sibilant with some particular tracks despite being rolled off.
Soundstage: A little above average.

ED4:
Bass: More sub-bass than ED3. There is some bloat and can get a bit muddy at times. Midbass is more controlled than sub-bass but gets overpowered at times. I prefer the bass of the ED3
Mids: Still a little laid back but vocals are more forward than the ED3. Upper mids are a bit veiled.
Highs: Similar to ED3 but with more finesse and no sibilance.
Soundstage: Quite narrow. Can sound congested.
These are very easy to drive. It gets loud fast.

HDS1:
Bass: Plenty of bass with this one both sub and mid and is quite controlled well. Best bass of the three, IMO.
Mids: Significantly more forward than the other two. Clarity and detail is also improved.
Highs: I'd say highs are quite neutral. Better than the other two. 
Soundstage: Above average.
This sounds strangely similar to the Carbo Tenore but with less treble and a bit more bass.

These are just my impressions and my experience and variety of earphones are limited so take these as a grain of salt.

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #9,543 of 63,916
HDS3 sound airier, fuller and has solid, hitting bass which is not uncontrolled /bloated. I could clearly hear the vocals as well.
In fact, even with this muffled left earpiece the amount of airy feel I get is phenomenal. These are easily the most airiest sounding KZs yet!

Oh man, You`re making me really confused which KZ to get next -.- Seems I will ditch ZN1mini plan and get HDS3 instead -.-

Damn, 22$ for 2013 version... no-go as I need 2014 version and at this price I`ll drop this idea, unfortunately.
I think ANV + another DD would be awesomesauce (but we`ll never know).
Thanks anyway for Your effort!
I have a pair of ANV that I don't use (never managed to get a good fit, so they're just lying around). Not 100% sure if they are 2014 version, but IIRC, they are. PM me and we'll work something out :)

I`m in EU, If You`re from outside that, then let it be as it is...
But thanks for offering!

Feb 9, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #9,544 of 63,916
HDS3 arrived... Sadly this is a faulty pair and left earpiece sounds muffled.
I've raised a dispute, let's see how it goes.

Btw, from right side alone I can say that these will sound better than HDS1, if both side work. HDS3 sound airier, fuller and has solid, hitting bass which is not uncontrolled /bloated. I could clearly hear the vocals as well.

Size wise these are almost equal to HDS1. The metal used adds premium feel but isn't heavy. Cable used here is much different than stock KZ table, jack included. Connector is not gold plated. The mic looks excellent and premium.

You can check with a splitter too,if you have one........by connecting both hds1 & 3 but using just the good sides of L & R of them.that way you can certainly distinguish.

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #9,545 of 63,916
Wich KZ has the most open air and biggest soundstage?

I don't care about isolation.

Thx.

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:31 AM Post #9,546 of 63,916
Please read 2 posts upwards
rolleyes.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #9,547 of 63,916
I'm really curious about an EDR2 review but also comparison with HDS1 (and 3 maybe?). Maybe one of those simple but schmancy comparison tables EISEN used a while back in the thread :p. Does anyone know if the housing is the same size btw? From what I understand the EDR series had bigger a housing, and the HDS1 at least has a tiny one? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Looks like the EDR2 and HDS3 share the same housing (EDSE housing but in aluminium), but ofc scale could be off.. Rest does look different (end cap of housing, strain relief on buds, cables, mic and plug). Comparing descriptions HDS3 is listed as having a 6mm driver while the EDR2 has a 7mm, but both are listed as having the same 12ohm impedance and a sensitivity of 120dB per mW...

HDS3: http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/32585879411.html
EDR2: http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/32584175673.html

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #9,548 of 63,916
ZN1mini is getting more and more attention from me... guess I have to get one and mod it.
But I`m really struggling to order any more KZ`s because WOM-mod + H.H. tips combination sound very good already and my rational thinking says to save that money for bigger step-up.
Probably Fidue A65 or something from LZ or... or... many options in sight:rolleyes:
Only thing that makes me want ZN1mini is dual-driver configuration and good impressions from some of You (with similar sound signature taste like me). But then again changing cable will add cost (no, I don`t like that cable at all and I`ll measure impedance when I take it apart) and not so deep insertion might be issue for me.
Atm I have ordered only VE Monk to get what all the fuzz is about them. Still discussing with myself on this one.

Btw, anyone knows where I could get KZ ANV ? Ali is empty from them:confused: I wish to use them for modding in dual-driver configuration but I don`t want to destroy my already modded ANV-woodies for it.

Coil, Coil, it's going to happen anyway. You're going to mod because it's fun and unique. You'll also end up with something like the Fidue. Because you need something like that and they will be wonderful. Bottom line is there both fun and worth while pursuits in sound evolution. Plus you're in an enviornment ( Head-fi ) that supports and appreciates those pursuits. It's all good fun just don't lose the fun factor.

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #9,549 of 63,916

I`m in EU, If You`re from outside that, then let it be as it is...
But thanks for offering!

Me too, bro :)

Feb 9, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #9,550 of 63,916
I just did HDS1 vs HDS3 comparison using splitter, making sure that there's enough current to drive both (used Topping NX1).

My findings as follows, Please keep in mind that these are initial impressions of HDS3 and I'm using only one side of HDS3 which as @shawn71 suggested :

1. HDS3 had better micro details
2. HDS3 sound airier
3. HDS3 has more punch in bass

Can't comment on soundstage yet, for which I'll need both sides of earphone working correctly.

Verdict : Overall in my opinion HDS3 is an upgrade over HDS1 not only in build quality but also in sound quality. Both have similar sound signature.

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #9,551 of 63,916
  ZN1mini is getting more and more attention from me... guess I have to get one and mod it.
But I`m really struggling to order any more KZ`s because WOM-mod + H.H. tips combination sound very good already and my rational thinking says to save that money for bigger step-up.
Probably Fidue A65 or something from LZ or... or... many options in sight
rolleyes.gif

Only thing that makes me want ZN1mini is dual-driver configuration and good impressions from some of You (with similar sound signature taste like me). But then again changing cable will add cost (no, I don`t like that cable at all and I`ll measure impedance when I take it apart) and not so deep insertion might be issue for me.
Atm I have ordered only VE Monk to get what all the fuzz is about them. Still discussing with myself on this one.

Btw, anyone knows where I could get KZ ANV ? Ali is empty from them
confused.gif
I wish to use them for modding in dual-driver configuration but I don`t want to destroy my already modded ANV-woodies for it.

I have the Monk's but can not get them to sit where they need to for proper sq. They seem to have promise but the fit (or lack of) caused me to pretty much give up on them. 
frown.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #9,552 of 63,916
  I have the Monk's but can not get them to sit where they need to for proper sq. They seem to have promise but the fit (or lack of) caused me to pretty much give up on them. 
frown.gif

I just received mine, and I'm struggling with the same problem. If I push them against my ears they sound good, but that's not really very practical.. I've been trying to find some kind of silicone nozzles or whatever to see if I can get a better fit, but so far no luck..

Anyway, getting off topic :)

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #9,553 of 63,916
I just did HDS1 vs HDS3 comparison using splitter, making sure that there's enough current to drive both (used Topping NX1).

My findings as follows, Please keep in mind that these are initial impressions of HDS3 and I'm using only one side of HDS3 which as @shawn71 suggested :

1. HDS3 had better micro details
2. HDS3 sound airier
3. HDS3 has more punch in bass

Can't comment on soundstage yet, for which I'll need both sides of earphone working correctly.

Verdict : Overall in my opinion HDS3 is an upgrade over HDS1 not only in build quality but also in sound quality. Both have similar sound signature.

Hey mate, which seller did you purchase these from? There are so many on eBay sellers in eBay and a significant price difference so I don't know whether to go for the cheapest or choose a specific store.

Feb 9, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #9,554 of 63,916
Hey mate, which seller did you purchase these from? There are so many on eBay sellers in eBay and a significant price difference so I don't know whether to go for the cheapest or choose a specific store.

Got them from KZ official flagship store on Ali. It was $8 at the time I made the purchase.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #9,555 of 63,916
Got the EDR2 coming...I like the EDSE so much I couldn't resist. 
Guess I'm not quite done riding the KZ train.  
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back